- Volume 16 Issue 1
Objectives: The purposes of this study is to examine the relationship between emotional labor and burnout among dental hygienists. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 247 dental hygienists from September 4 to October 9, 2014. The questionnaire consisted of emotional labor, job burnout, and job stress. Emotional labor included frequency of emotional expression, compliance with emotional regulation, emotional diversity, and emotional dissonance by the instrument pf Morris and Feldman. Job burnout was adopted from Maslach burnout inventory(MBI). Job stress was adpoted from instrument of Chang. Except 13 incomplete answers, 234 data were analyzed by AMOS 18.0 and SPSS 18.0 program. Results: The emotional labor has a significant positive relation to the job burnout. There was a statistical significance between emotional labor and job stress. Job stress had a positive relation to job burnout. Job stress had a mediating effect between emotional labor and job burnout. Emotional labor had a direct effect on the job burnout. Job stress also had a mediating effect on job burnout. Conclusions: It is necessary to improve working environment that can enhance emotional balance and to develop job stress management program.
emotional labor;job burnout;job stress;mediating effect
- Kim YS, Chung EY, Kim JN, Seo YJ. The effect of emotional labor on job stress, burnout and job satisfaction of hospital nurses. Korean Public Health Research 2014; 40(4): 75-88.
- Morris JA, Feldman DC. The dimension, antecedents and consequences of emotional labor. Academy Manage Rev 1996; 21(4): 986-1010. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/259161. https://doi.org/10.2307/259161
- Yang YK. A study on burnout, emotional labor, and self-efficacy in nurse. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 2011; 17(4): 423-31. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.423
- Hochschild AR. The managed heart. Berkeley&Los Angeles USA: University of California Press; 1983.
- Jhang B. A study on the influence of emotional labor on burnout: among service employees working at china insurance company[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyung Hee, 2011.
- Lee YS, Jang JH, Moon AE. The effects of emotional labor and stress on job satisfaction in oral health professional. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(5): 823-31.
- Yoon SU, Kim JS. Relations between emotional Labor and job stress among some dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011; 11(2): 179-88.
- Choi HJ, Bang HJ, Chung EY, Seo YJ. Factors that affect the level of emotional labor in dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014; 14(3): 295-301. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.295
- Oh HY, Jin KN. A study on emotional labor and burnout in dental hygienist. J Dent Hyg Sci 2014: 13(1): 71-6.
- Jun SY, Kim KW, Chang Ej. An empirical study on the mediating effect of emotional intelligence on the relationship between emotional labor and organizational effectiveness. J Secretarial Sci 2013; 22(1): 167-86.
- Maslach C, Jackson SE. The measurement of experienced burnout. Journal of Occupational Behaviour 1981; 2: 99-113. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205
- Yoon HM. Burnout: as a multi-faceted understanding of and countermeasures. Korean J Soc Welfare 1993; 22(1): 118-41.
- Korea Occupational Safety and Health Agency(KOSHA). Korean studies on the accuracy and reliability of evaluation and trial application of workplace occupational stress measurement tool. Seoul: University of Yonsei; 2006.
- Chang SJ, Koh SB, Kang DM, Kim SA, Kang MK, Lee CG, et al. Developing an occupational stress scale for Korean employees. Ann Occup Environ Med 2005; 17(4): 297-317.
- Song YB, Lee TY, Kim YR. Relationships of emotional labor, job satisfaction and burnout among medical technologists in a university hospital. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society 2014; 15(8): 5140-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.5140. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.8.5140
- Jeong SB, Choi EM, Choi JS. The effects of emotional labor on burnout, turnover intention, and job satisfaction among clinical dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2014; 38(1): 50-8. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.1.50
- Judge TA, Woolf EF, Hurst C. Is emotional labor more difficulty for some than for other? A multilevel, experience sampling study. Pers Psychol 2009; 62: 57-88. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2008.01129.x
- Kim GP, Lee JY, Yu BC. Relationship between emotional labor and occupational stress of dental counselor. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(5): 727-37. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.727
- Influence of emotional labor on job burnout in dental hygienists: the moderating effect of employee support vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.751