- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of mentoring function on job satisfaction, organization commitment, and turnover intention in the newly employed dental hygienists
멘토의 기능이 신입 치과위생사의 직무만족, 조직몰입, 이직의도에 미치는 영향
Yun, Hyun-Kyung;Choi, Mi-Sook;Choi, Gyu-Yil
- Received : 2015.04.24
- Accepted : 2016.02.12
- Published : 2016.02.28
Objectives: The objective of this study was to examine the effect of mentoring function on job satisfaction, organization commitment, and turnover intention in the newly employed dental hygienists. Methods: Two hundred and fourteen dental hygienists in Daegu and Gyeongbuk completed a self-reported questionnaire from January to May 2013. The instrument for the questionnaire consisted of mentoring function, mentoring personality, job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and turnover intention. The data were analyzed by frequency analysis, ANOVA, correlation analysis, and multiple regression analysis. Results: The longer duration of the mentoring for the newly employees strengthened job satisfaction and organization commitment. The mentoring function had a positive effect on job satisfaction and organization commitment, and decreased turnover intention. The higher quality of personality overcome the turnover intention. Conclusions: The mentoring is very important to enhance the job satisfaction and organization commitment in the newly employees. Loner duration of work(
dental hygienist;mentoring function;turnover intention;organization commitment;job satisfaction
- Kim JM, Park JS. Literature review on organizational predictors of workplace learning. Train Dev J 2011; 23: 27-52.
- Song MC, Kim JM. The mediating effect of organizational socialization in the relationship between mentoring functions and organizational effectiveness in formal mentoring programs of large corporations. J Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development 2013; 45(1): 103-24. https://doi.org/10.23840/agehrd.2013.45.1.103
- Noe RA, Greenberger DB, Wang S. Mentoring: What we know and where we knew and where we might go. Research in personnel Human Resource Management 2002; 21(3): 129-73.
- Ilies R, Scott BA, Judge TA. The interactive effects of personal traits and experienced states on intra individual patterns of citizenship behavior. Acad Management J 2006; 49(3): 561-75. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2006.21794672
- Min J. A review of conceptualizations and re-conceptualizations of organizational effectiveness. Korean Pub Admi Rev 2003; 16(2): 83-104.
- Korean Dental Association[internet]. [cited 2015 March 23]. Available from: http://club.kda.or.kr/kda/modules/kdanews/news/newsview2.aspx?newsID=63702.
- Korean Health and Medical Workers Union. Reports to health and medical workers. Seoul: KHMWU; 2010: 5-6.
- Curry JP, Warefield DS, Price JL, Mueller CW, Mc Closkey JC. Determinants of turnover among nursing department employees. Res Nurs Health 1985; 8(2): 397-411. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770080413
- Lee SM, Choi WJ, Han GS, Kim CH. Influencing factors of turnover intention of dental hygienists using by the path analysis. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2013; 13(6): 941-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.941. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.06.941
- Lee SS, Kwon HJ. A study on dental hygienists' job stress and their reactions upon them. Chung-Ang J Nurs 1998; 2(1): 121-41.
- Kang YJ. Analysis on the recognition of occupational work training in new dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2007; 7(4): 365-79.
- Yun HK, Kim HG. Effect of role function and personality characteristics of mentor on role stress and organization effectiveness of newly appointed dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14(2): 213-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.213. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.213
- Gwon MY. Study on the factors that affect the intent of changing occupation of Dental Hygienists. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2007; 7(4): 395-403.
- Lee MK. A study of mentoring function's mediate effects in the relations with mentor's competency and organizational commitment. J Voca Edu&Tra 2008; 11(1): 169-90.
- Kim HE, Lee JK. The role of mentorship in socializing new employees. Korean Acad Soc Bus Admi 1993; 22(2): 269-94.
- MacGree RR, Costa PR. Updating norman's adequate taxonomy: intelligence and personality dimensions in natural language and in questionnaires. J Pers and Soc Psy 1985; 49(3): 710-21. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1240. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1990
- Kim SJ. The effect of self-efficacy of dental hygienists and nurse's aides on the job satisfaction, organizational commitment and turnover intention[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Kyunghee, 2007.
- Noe RA. Women and mentoring: a review and research agenda. Acad Mana Revi 1988; 13: 65-78. http://dx.doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1988.4306784. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1988.4306784
- Scandura TA. Mentorship and career mobility: An empirical investigation. J Orga Beha 1992; 13: 169-74. http://dx.doi. org/10.1002/job.4030130206. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030130206
- Yoo YC, Kim HJ, Kim CS. Effects of mentoring function on career development and organizational effectiveness in private security service organization. J Korea Cont Assoc 2011; 11(6): 326-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.6.326. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.6.326
- Jung JY. A study on the work and turnover of dental hygienist. Dent research 1998; 43(2): 52-4.
- Kang JK. A study on the professionalism of dental hygienists. Dent research 1999; 45(4): 37-52.
- Go KH. One bottle of network dentist, members of the dental hygienist job stress and job satisfaction, impact on employee turnover[Master's thesis]. Jinju: Univ. of Gyeongsang, 2013.
- Dentists' opinions on return to work of career interrupted dental hygienists vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.05.741