- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparison of effectiveness on knowledge improvement before and after the oral health education: focusing on foreign students
구강보건교육 전·후 지식향상 비교효과 연구: 온라인과 오프라인에서 외국인 유학생들을 대상으로
Lee, Hwa-Jeong;Lee, Young-Soo;Nam, Yong-Ok
- Received : 2015.06.01
- Accepted : 2016.02.12
- Published : 2016.02.28
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to investigate comparison of the effectiveness on knowledge improvement before and after the oral health education focusing on foreign students. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was filled out by 40 foreign students in Sun Moon University from June 2 to September 30, 2014. The experimental group had an online oral health education and the control group had an off line education. The questionnaire consisted of oral health(10 items), toothbrushing(10 items), dental caries(10 items), periodontal disease(5 items), tooth sensitivity(5 items), oral cancer(6 items), and smoking(5 items). The data were analyzed by SPSS Win 18.0 program. Results: Knowledge scores of online education increased to average 1.257 points, and that of offline education was average of 2.56 points. There were statistically significant results for toothbrushing, dental caries, periodontal disease, tooth sensitivity, oral cancer and TMD except for smoking in offline education group. Conclusions: This study suggests that the offline oral health education is more effective than online oral health education.
foreign student;online and off line education;oral health education
- Park SY. A study of recruitment policy and the international students' experience[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Seoul National, 2009.
- Hong SH. A study on the evaluation factors on korean university education for promoting educational service export from the perspective of chinese student in Korea. Int Commerce and Inform Review 2011; 13: 463-84.
- Jin MK, Cho YJ. The effect of acculturative stress on anxiety and depression among chinese students in korea. Korean J Play Therapy 2011; 14: 77-89.
- Kim SJ. A study on the oral health behavior of international students in korean universities-with a focus on chinese students. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12: 17-26. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.017
- Park JH, Yu BC, Park MK, Cho MS. Correlation factors to oral health-related quality of life in chinese students studying in Korea. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2014; 14: 511-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.511. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.04.511
- Ju DB, Kim HH. The influence of foreigner student's cultural adjustment stress on university life adjustment in korea. Korean J Comparative Educ 2013; 23: 123-45.
- Ko ZK, Lee BW. Revisions and improvements on issues of the current employment permit system-focused on law revised in October 9, 2009. J Korean Soc Comparison Labor Law 2010; 18: 1-36.
- Lee HO, Yang CH, Kim J, Kim YI. Domestic disabled people's use of dental service institutes and their oral health related quality of life. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009; 9: 593-600.
- Nam JY. The oral health related quality of life of women among multi-cultural families[Master's thesis]. Daugu: Univ. of Kyengbook National, 2011.
- Song KH. A study on the evaluation of health- and oral health-realted quality of life in korean adults. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2008; 10: 39-57.
- Jeon ES, Jin HJ, Choi SL, Jang BJ, Jeong SY, Song KB, et al. Oral health status in women of korean multicultural familes. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2009; 33: 499-509.
- Yun HK, Choi GY. Factors affecting the oral health behavior of immigrant women in a multi-cultural family. J Korean Contents Soc 2012; 12: 268-75. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.03.268. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.03.268
- Cho WS, Chun JH, Choi MS, Lee JH, Kee HM, Yi JH, et al. Oral healthcare related charateristics of international marriage migrant women in Gyungsangnam-Do. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011; 35: 432-40.
- Lee GJ. Factors affecting activities for oral health promotion[Doctoral dissertation]. Gyeongbuk: Univ. of Daegu haany, 2012.
- Kwun HS. Oral health education. 2nd ed. Seoul: Chunggu publishing; 2007:1-373.
- Kang MH, Suh HJ, Kwon SY. A conceptual framework for a web-based knowledge construction support system. J Educ Technology 2000; 16: 3-21.
- Choi MS. The change of the oral health status after applying the dental health education program for international marriage migrant women. J Korea Academia- Industrial Cooperation Soc 2013; 14: 206-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.1.206. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.1.206
- Cho EH. The effect of the oral health education program on the oral health knowledge and behavior of middle school students[Master's thesis]. Gwangju: Univ. of Chonnam National, 2009.
- Kim YH. The activation of oral health education using smart phone[Master's thesis]. Seoul: Univ. of Hanyang, 2012.
- Lee KH, Jung ES. Effects of education about dental hygine devices on their use. J Digital Convergence 2015; 13: 245-56. http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.245. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.245
- Son SB. Comparative study on achievement and satisfaction of online and offline in-service training courses for infant and toddler teachers. J Korean Soc for Study on Welfare of Early Childhood Edu and Educare 2010; 14: 35-62.
- Ryu WH. Evaluation of the effects of community based elementary school oral health care program[Doctoral dissertation]. Busan: Univ. of Inje, 2003.
- Mun WS, Kim MA, Lee SM. Elementary-school students' perception comparison before and after education of the oral health. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg 2011; 13: 185-94.
- Do JI. The effect oral health education has on the knowledge and behavior concerning oral health[Master's thesis]. Chungnam: Univ. of Kongju National, 2014.