- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Opinion of dental hygienists toward school dental clinic operation
학교구강보건실 운영에 대한 담당치과위생사의 견해
Lee, Sun-Mi;Won, Young-Soon;Kim, Chang-Hee;Hong, Song-Hee;Lee, Hye-Jung;Ahn, Se-Youn
- Received : 2015.12.21
- Accepted : 2016.02.19
- Published : 2016.02.28
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the opinion of dental hygienists toward school dental clinic operation. Methods: The study was carried out by telephone or e-mail to the dental hygienists in 415 elementary school dental clinics from September 1 to 30, 2014. The questionnaires were collected from 208 school dental clinics. Except incomplete answers, 148 data were analyzed using SPSS 18.0 program. The self-reported questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects(7 items), operation of school dental clinic(5 items), obstacle to school dental clinic(10 items), and effective operation of school dental clinic(5 items). Results: The school dental clinic operation accounted for 68.7% and 90.6% of the respondents answered that it was very effective for the oral health improvement. The dental hygienists answered that the clinic operation was very effective in oral disease prevention(37.1%), oral health knowledge and behavior(32.8%), oral health behavior habit(29.3%), and oral health improvement(0.9%). The change of the current operation into full time employee accounted for 79.7% and only 16.1% agreed to current operation of clinic visit by the community health center. The results showed that need for dentist was 3.69 by Likert 5 point scale. Conclusions: The oral health policy must be established to develop and implement the oral health programs for the school clinics.
dental hygienist;school dental clinic;school oral health
- Lee JH, Kim JB, Bae KH, Kwun HS, Park JR, Park JH. Survey on oral health cognition Level and attitude of benefited school children by the operating period of incremental school oral health program. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2008; 32(1): 115-26.
- Chang KW, Hwang YS, Kim JB, Song YS, Paik DI, Choi BK, et al. Oral Health Education. 4th ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2007: 177-8.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. Guidebook on the 2014 integrated community health promotion plan (in the field of oral health). Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare; 2014: 9-17.
- Health policy institute. 2014 Year book of Korean dentistry. Seoul: Korean Dental Association Health policy institute; 2015: 49-51.
- Kang SH, Kim MS, Lee SM, Bae KH, Oh MY, Kim JB. Effectiveness evaluation of an incremental oral health program by school dental clinic. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006; 30: 231-42.
- Choi SL, Kwun HS, Song KB, Lee JH, Kang HK, Choi JM. Effects of school-based oral health programs among schoolchildren: focus on the oral health knowledge and behaviors. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Education 2006; 6(4): 455-67.
- Koh YA. The study on the actual condition of oral health and the recognition on oral hygiene according to the administration of an oral infirmary at Elementary school [Master's thesis]. Jeju: Univ. of Jeju National, 2009.
- Jung JY, Kim SH, Han SJ. The recognition on toothbrushing facilities and job status of facility workers in school dental clinic. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012; 12(4): 723-32. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.4.723
- Kim JH. School education. Seoul: Soomoonsa; 1994: 27.
- Kim SH, Kim SB. A cross-sectional study on job training course of the dental hygienists at the public health (sub)centers. J Kor Soc Hyg Sci 2014; 14(2): 248-55.
- Min HH, Shin SC, Seo HS, Kim EJ, Kim HS. 2 Years evaluation for program of school dental clinics in Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2003; 27(2): 207-18.
- Han JH, Hwang JM, Kim KE. Study on how parents understand of the operating of dental hygiene center at elementary schools in Gwacheon. J. of Korean Soc. of School Health 2008; 21(1): 23-31.
- Preventive Dental Research. Preventive Dentistry. 3rd ed. Seoul: Koonja publisher; 2010: 385.
- Kim JB, Choi YJ, Moon HS, Kim JB, Kim DK, Lee HS, et al. Public Oral Health. 3rd ed. Seoul: Komoonsa; 2004: 189-99.
- Mun WS, Moon SJ, Kim EH, Ku IY. Comparison of oral health knowledge and behavior in students in school with and without a school dental clinic. J Korean Health Service Management 2014; 8(4): 131-40. http://dx.doi.org/10.12 811/kshsm.2014.8.4.131. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2014.8.4.131
- Kang BW, Hwang CJ, Lee SM. Demand on the operation of school dental health center by elementary school parents. Korean Comparative Government Review 2015; 19(3): 221-36. https://doi.org/10.18397/kcgr.2015.19.3.221
- Yoen YS. The study for improving management of school dental clinics[Master's thesis]. Daegu: Univ. of Yeungnam, 2005.
- Chang KW, Kim JB. An experimental study on the effects of the toothbrushing instructional methods. J Korean Acad Dent Health 1987; 11(1): 85-99.
- Choi HS, Hwang SH, Ahn SY, Sim SH, Choi BK, Kong YM, et al. Oral health knowledge, attitude, behavior in middle and high school students and needs for oral health education. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2011; 11(4): 533-46.
- Lee JH, Kim JB, Han DH. Survey on parents' recognition and supports for the incremental school oral health using school dental clinic according to the operation period. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009; 33(1): 62-70.
- Lee JH, Chun JH, Kim JB. Survey on oral health knowledge and attitude of the teachers who had experienced school oral health program in Ulsan Metropolitan City. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2011; 35(4): 423-31.