- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Fluoride concentration in the finger nails of dental hygiene and nonhealth-relate some female students
치위생과와 비보건학과 일부 여대생의 손톱 내 불소농도 차이
- Received : 2015.10.05
- Accepted : 2016.02.22
- Published : 2016.02.28
Objectives: The purpose of the study is to investigate the relationship between fluorine concentration within finger nails and the level of dentifrice in dental hygiene students and non-health majoring students. Methods: A self-reported questionnaire was completed by seventy female college students living in Daegu and Gyeongbuk that are not supplied with fluoridation from May to June, 2014. Informed consent was approved by institutional review board (IRB). The questionnaire consisted of general characteristics of the subjects (11 items) and oral health behavior including number of toothbrushing, duration of toothbrushing, number of mouth rinsing, and amount of dentifrice. A dentist and a dental hygienist examined directly the subjects by the guideline of World Health Organization (WHO). The oral examination included decayed tooth, healthy tooth, and filled tooth. The nail samples were obtained from seventy female students. Results: Comparing the dental hygiene students and non-health majoring students, 62.5% of dental hygiene students used approximately 1300mg of dentifrice and 55.2% of non-health majoring students used 1800mg or more of dentifrice. The non-health majoring students used more dentifrice (p<0.01). The fluorine concentration within nails was
dentifrice;fluoride;nail;oral health behaviour
- Whitford G M. The metabolism and toxicity of fluoride. 2nd ed. Basel: Karger; 1996: 86-92.
- Herschel S, Horowitz DOS, MPH. The 2001 Recommendations for using fluoride to prevent and control dental caries in the United States. J Public Health Dent 2003; 63(1): 3-8.
- WHO(World Health Organization). Expert committee on water fluoridation. Geneva: WHO; 1958: 146.
- Heifetz SB, Horowitz HS. The amounts of fluoride in current fluoride in current fluoride therapies. safety considerations for children. ASDC J Dent Child 1984; 51(4): 257-69.
- Holt RD, Murray JJ. Developments in fluoride toothpastes-an overview. Community Dent Health 1997; 14(1): 4-10.
- Muhler JC, Radike AW, Nebergall WH, Day HG. The effect of a stannous fluoride-containing dentifrice on caries reduction in children. J Dent Res 1954; 33(5): 606-12. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345540330050401
- Kim SA, Kim S, Yoon MS, Hwang SJ, Kim GS, Kim DY, et al. Primary preventive dentistry. 6th ed. Seoul: Daehan Narae Publishing; 2011: 209-11.
- Evans RW, Stamm JW. An epidemiologic estimate of the critical period during which human maxillary central incisors are most susceptible to fluorosis. J Dent Res 1991; 51(4): 251-9.
- Levy SM, Eichenberger-Gilmore J, Warren JJ, Letuchy E, Broffitt B, Marshall TA, et al. Associations of fluoride intake with children's bone measures at age 11. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2009; 37(5): 416-26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2009.00478.x
- Whyte MP, Totty WG, Lim VT, Whitford GM. Skeletal fluorosis from instant tea. J Bone Miner Res 2008; 23(5): 759-69. https://doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.080101
- Milsom K, Mitropoulos CM. Enamel defects in 8-year-old children in fluoridated and non-fluoridated parts of Cheshire. Caries Res 1990; 24(4): 286-9. https://doi.org/10.1159/000261284
- Jung EJ, Youn HJ. Oral health promotion behavior according to awareness-perception factors of dental hygiene and nonhealth-related students. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2010; 10(5):777-88.
- Jeong MK, Lee ES, Kim JH, Kim MJ, Han DH, KimJB. Toothbrushing habits of dental hygiene students and students majoring non-health related field. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Edu 2009; 9(4): 1-17.
- Kang YM, Kim DK, Lee BJ. Changes in awareness of water fluoridation program in Hampyung-County. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009; 33(2): 267-75.
- Kim YM, Lee HK. Factors that affect the perception on the water fluoridation program of some college students, the receptivity of the pros and cons for the program and their response. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2009; 9(1): 181-92.
- Kim HK, KHO YL, Bae SM, Jung SH. Fluoride concentration of spot urine and the fingernails of preschool children in a fluoridated and in a non-fluoridated community. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009; 33(4): 544-51.
- Kim HK, Lee MS, Jung SH. A study on the correlation between urinary fluoride/creatinine ratio, fluoride concentration of drinking water, urine and fingernail in preschool children. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2013; 37(1): 25-30. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2013.37.1.25
- Hwang JH, Lee SJ, Zoh KD. A study on the correlation of fluoride concentrations within drinking water, urine, fingernail and toenail of children between fluoridated and nonfluoridated community. Environmental Engineering Research 2004; 1002-9.
- WHO(World Health Organization). Oral Health Surveys Basic Methods. 5th ed. Geneva: WHO(World Health Organization); 2013: 1-125.
- Taves DR. Separation of fluoride by rapid diffusion using hexamethyldisiloxane. Talanta 1968; 15(9): 969-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/0039-9140(68)80097-9
- Rodrigues MH, Bastos JR, Buzalaf MA. Fingernails and toenails as biomarkers of subchronic exposure to fluoride from dentifrice in 2-to 3-year-old children. Caries Res 2004; 38(2): 109-14. https://doi.org/10.1159/000075934
- Newbrun E. Quintessence publishing Co. 3rd ed. Chicago: Cariology; 1989: 19-61.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Sanitary aid relevant rule, Sanitary aid[Internet]. [cited 2014 Sept 04]. Available from: http.//www.mfds.go.kr/index.do?mid=686&seq=8281.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Toothpaste! Using properly, Dentifrice[Internet]. [cited 2014 Sept 04]. Available from: http.//www.mfds.go.kr/index.do?mid=675&seq=10720.
- Osujp OO, Leake JL, Chipman ML, Nikiforuk G, Locker D, Levine N. Risk factors for dental fluorosis in a fluoridated community. J Dent Res 1988; 67(12): 1488-92. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345880670120901
- Jung SI, Bae KH, Kim JB, Lee SM, Kim SA, Young YK, et al. User rate of fluoride-containing dentifrice among community college students of dental hygiene and non-health related courses. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2006; 30(4): 411-20.
- Kim HK, Bae SM, Kho YL, Jung SH. Fluoride ingestion from fluoride toothpaste in preschool children. J Korean Acad dent Health 2007; 31(2): 176-84.
- The effects of sodium fluoride on oral normal cell cultured in vitro vol.16, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.03.471