- Volume 24 Issue 1
Optimum cross-sectional shape of an automotive disc brake was developed based on FEM thermal analyses and the Taguchi method. Frictional heat flux and convection heat transfer coefficients were first calculated using equations and applied to the disc to calculate accurate temperature distribution and thermal deformations under realistic braking conditions. Maximum stress was generated in an area with highest temperature under pads and near the hat of ventilated disc and vanes. The SN ratio from Taguchi method and MINITAB was applied to obtain the optimum cross-sectional design of a disc brake on the basis of thermal deformations. The optimum cross-section of a disc can reduce thermal deformation by 15.2 % compared to the initial design.
벤틸레이티드 디스크;다구찌 방법;디스크 최적화;마찰열;열유속
- C. K. Kim and B. Y. Sung, "Thermal Behavior Analysis of Disc Brake System during Quick Braking," Transactions of KSME-A, Vol.22, No.6, pp.1106-1113, 1998.
- C. K. Kim and K. I. Lee, "Tribological Analysis on the Contact Behaviors of Disc Brakes due to Frictional Heatings," Transactions of KSME-A, Vol.23, No.10, pp.1845-1852, 1999.
- D. C. Shin, T. J. Kim, T. S. Chi and K. Y. Kim, "Optimal Brake Disc Design Method for High Speed Judder Reduction," KSME Fall Conference Proceedings, pp.905-912, 2000.
- T. H. Lee, K. K. Lee and S. J. Jeong, "Optimal Design for the Thermal Deformation of Disc Brake by Using Design of Experiments and Finite Element Analysis," Transactions of KSME-A, Vol.25, No.12, pp.1960-1965, 2001.
- R. Limpert, Brake Design and Safety, 2nd Edn., Society of Automotive Engineers, USA, pp.103-117, 1999.
- K. J. Lee, "Numerical Prediction of Brake Fluid Temperature Rise during Braking and Heat soaking," SAE 1999-01-0483, 1999.
- T. Valvano and K. J. Lee, "An Analytical Method to Predict Thermal Distortion of a Brake Rotor," SAE 2000-01-0445, 2000.
- G. H. Gao and X. Z. Lin, "Transient Temperature Field Analysis of a Brake in a Nonaxisymmetric Three-dimensional Model," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol.129, Issues 1-3, pp.513-517, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(02)00622-2
- G. H. Gao, J. M. Huang, X. Z. Lin and X. S. Tang, "Stress Analysis of Thermal Fatigue Fracture of Brake Discs Based on Thermomechanical Coupling," Journal of Tribology Transaction of the ASME, Vol.129, No.3, pp.536-543, 2007.
- P. Hwang, X. Wu and Y. B. Jeon, "Repeated Brake Temperature Analysis of Ventilated Brake Disc on the Downhill Road," SAE 2008-01-2571, 2008.
- T. K. Kao, J. W. Richmond and A. Douarre, "Brake Disc Hot Spotting and Thermal Judder: An Experimental and Finite Element Study," Int. J. Vehicle Design, Vol.23, No.3/4, pp.276-296, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJVD.2000.001896
- M. Pevec, I. Potrc, G. Bombek and D. Vranesevic, "Prediction of the Cooling Factors of a Vehicle Brake Disc and its Influence on the Results of a Thermal Numerical Simulation," Int. J. Automotive Technology, Vol.13, No.5, pp.725-733, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12239-012-0071-y
- S. Moaveni, Finite Element Analysis: Theory and Application with ANSYS, 3rd Edn., Prentice Hall, USA, pp.426-463, 2008.
- An Experimental Study for Machined Patterns of Friction Surface on Two-pieces Disc Brake Rotor in Performance Aspect vol.25, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7467/KSAE.2016.24.1.001