- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Scenario Analysis of Injection Temperature and Injection Rate for Assessing the Geomechanical Stability of CCS (Carbon Capture and Sequestration) System
이산화탄소 격리저장시스템의 역학적 안정성 평가를 위한 주입온도 및 주입량 시나리오 해석
Kim, A-Ram;Kim, Hyung-Mok
- Received : 2015.12.24
- Accepted : 2016.01.08
- Published : 2016.02.29
For a successful accomplishment of Carbon Capture Sequestration (CCS) projects, appropriate injection conditions should be designed and optimized for site specific geological conditions. In this study, we evaluated the effect of injection conditions such as injection temperature and injection rate on the geomechanical stability of CCS system in terms of TOUGH-FLAC simulator, which is one of the well-known T-H-M coupled analysis methods. The stability of the storage system was assessed by a shear slip potential of the pre-existing fractures both in a reservoir and caprock, expressed by mobilized friction angle and Mohr stress circle. We demonstrated that no tensile fracturing was induced even in the cold CO2 injection, where the injected CO2 temperature is much lower than that of the reservoir and tensile thermal stress is generated, but shear slip of the fractures in the reservoir may occur. We also conducted a scenario analysis by varying injected CO2 volume per unit time, and found out that it was when the injection rate was decreasing in a step-wise that showed the least potential of a shear slip.
CCS (Carbon Capture and Sequestration);TOUGH-FLAC;Shear slip potential;Scenario analysis;Injection temperature;Injection rate
강관구, 정경선, 조맹익, 허철, 2014, "
$CO_2$주입 온도 변화에 따른 주입정내 CO2의 거동변화 수치해석", 2014년도 한국해양과학기술협의회 공동학술대회, 부산 BEXCO, 2014.05.22.
Park, M.H., H.G. Kim, H.Y. Lee, J.H. Kang, M.J. Kim, Y.K. Kwon and J.C. Kim, 2014, "The Current Status of Study on
$CO_2$Geological Storages in Korean Offshore Areas and KNOC's Demonstration Strategy", 2014 추계 지질과학연합학술대회, 하이원컨벤션호텔, 2014.10.29 - 11.1.
Coleman, S. H., 2012, "The reservoir performance and impact from using large-volume, intermittent, anthropogenic
$CO_2$for enhanced oil recovery: The University of Texas at Austin, Master's thesis", http://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/handle/2152/ETD-UT-2012-05-5351.
- Fjær. E., R.M. Holt., P. Horsrud, A.M. Raaen and R.Risnes, 2008, "Petroleum Related Rock Mechanics", 2nd edition, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 491p
Goodarzi. S., A. Settari and D. Keith, 2012, "Geomechanical modeling for
$CO_2$storage in Nisku aquifer in Wabamun Lake area in Canada", International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 10, pp. 113-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2012.05.020
Gor, G.Y. and J.H. Prevost, 2013, "Effect of
$CO_2$injection temperature on caprock stability", Energy Procedia, Vol. 37, pp. 3727-3732. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2013.06.267
- Itasca Consulting Group Inc., 2012, FLAC3D (Fast Lagrangian Analysis of Continua in 3 Dimensions) Version 5.0 (Minneapolis, MN).
Kikuta, K, S. Hongo, D. Tanase and T. Ohsumi, 2004, "Field test of
$CO_2$injection in Nagaoka, Japan, Proceedings of the 7th Int. Conf. on greenhouse gas control technologies", Vancouver, Canada, Sept. 2004, pp. 1367-1372.
Kim, H.M., E.S. Park, J.H. Synn and Y.C. Park, 2008, "Greenhouse Gas (
$CO_2$) Geological Sequestration and Geomechanical Technology Component", Tunnel & Underground Space, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 175-184.
- Kim, H.M. and W.S. Bae, 2013, "Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) Technology Coupled with Underground Carbon Dioxide Sequestration", Tunnel & Underground Space, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 1-12. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2013.23.1.001
Kim, S.H. and S. A. Hosseini, 2014, "Geological
$CO_2$storage : Incorporation of pore-pressure/stress coupling and thermal effects to determine maximum sustainable pressure limit", Energy Procedia, Vol. 63, pp. 3339-3346. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.362
- Kim, S.H. and S. A. Hosseini, 2015, "Hydro-thermomechanical analysis during injection of cold fluid into a geologic formation", International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 77, pp. 220-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2015.04.010
Kutchko, B. G., B.R. Strazisar, D.A. Dzombak, G.V. Lowry and N. Thaulow, 2007, "Degradation of Well Cement by
$CO_2$under Geologic Sequestration Conditions", Environmental Science Technology, Vol. 41, pp. 4787-4792. https://doi.org/10.1021/es062828c
Moller, F., A. Liebscher, S. Martens, C. Schmidt-Hattenberger and M. Streibel, 2014, "Injection of
$CO_2$at ambient temperature conditions - Pressure and temperature results of the "cold injection" experiment at the Ketzin pilot site", Energy Procedia, Vol. 63, pp. 6289-6297. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2014.11.660
- Pruess, K., C. Oldenburg and G. Moridis, 1999, TOUGH2 User's guid, Ver. 2.0., Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Report LBL-43134, Berkeley, CA, USA.
Rutqvist, J. and C-F. Tsang, 2002, "A study of caprock hydromechanical changes associated with
$CO_2$-injection into a brine formation", Environmental Geology, Vol. 42, pp. 296-305. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00254-001-0499-2
Rutqvist, J., J.T. Birkholzer and C-F. Tsang, 2008, "Coupled reservoir-geomechanical analysis of the potential for tensile and shear failure associated with
$CO_2$injection in multilayered reservoir-caprock systems", International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 45, pp. 132-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2007.04.006
- Rutqvist, J., 2011, "Status of the TOUGH-FLAC simulator and recent applications related to coupled fluid flow and crustal deformations", Computes & Geosciences, Vol. 37, pp. 739-750. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2010.08.006
- Segall, P., 1992, "Induced Stresses due to Fluid Extraction from Axisymmetric Reservoirs", Pure and Applied Geophysics, Vol. 139, No. 3/4, pp. 535-560. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00879950
Vilarrasa, V., O. Silva, J. Carrera and S. Olivella, 2013, "Liquid
$CO_2$injection for geological storage in deep saline aquifers", International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 14, pp. 84-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2013.01.015
Vilarrasa, V., S. Olivella, J. Carrera and J. Rutqvist, 2014, "Long term impacts of cold
$CO_2$injection on the caprock integrity", International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Vol. 24, pp. 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijggc.2014.02.016
Wildgust, N., Aiken, T., 2010, "Injection strategies for large-scale
$CO_2$storage", 9th Annual Conference on Carbon Capture & Sequestration, Pittsburgh, May 2010.
- Yoon, J.S., A. Zang and O. Stephensson, 2013, "Simulation of hydraulic stimulation of fractured reservoir and induced seismicity using discrete element-fracture network model", Proceedings of 38th Workshop on geothermal reservoir engineering, Stanford university, Stanford, California, Feb. 2013, SGP-TR-198.
- Numerical Analysis for Fault Reactivation during Gas Hydrate Production vol.26, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2016.26.2.059
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)