- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Topographic Surveying Results using a Fixed-wing and a Popular Rotary-wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Drone)
고정익 무인항공기(드론)와 보급형 회전익 무인항공기를 이용한 지형측량 결과의 비교
Lee, Sungjae;Choi, Yosoon
- Received : 2016.01.04
- Accepted : 2016.01.25
- Published : 2016.02.29
Recently, many studies have been conducted to use fixed-wing and rotary-wing unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs, Drones) for topographic surveying in open-pit mines. Because the fixed-wing and rotary-wing UAVs have different characteristics such as flight height, speed, time and performance of mounted cameras, their results of topographic surveying at a same site need to be compared. This study selected a construction site in Yangsan-si, Gyeongsangnam-do, Korea as a study area and compared the topographic surveying results from a fixed-wing UAV (SenseFly eBee) and a popular rotary-wing UAV (DJI Phantom2 Vision+). As results of data processing for aerial photos taken from eBee and Phantom2 Vision+, orthomosaic images and digital surface models with about 4 cm grid spacing could be generated. Comparisons of the X, Y, Z-coordinates of 7 ground control points measured by differential global positioning system and those determined by eBee and Phantom2 Vision+ revealed that the root mean squared errors of X, Y, Z-coordinates were around 10 cm, respectively.
Drone;Unmanned aerial vehicle;Photogrammetry;Digital surface model;Orthomosaic image
- Cho, S.J., Bang, E.S. and Kang, I.M., 2015, Construction of Digital Terrain Model for Nonmetal Open-pit Mine by Using Unmanned Aerial Photograph, Economic and Environmental Geology, Vol. 48, No. 3, 205-212. https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2015.48.3.205
- Cryderman, C., Bill Mah, S. and Shuflertoski, A., 2014, Evaluation of UAV Photogrammetric accuracy for mapping and earthworks computations, Geomatica, Vol. 68, No. 4, 309-317. https://doi.org/10.5623/cig2014-405
- IRS Global, 2014, Expanding Unmanned aricraft (Drone) Technology, IRS Global, Vol. 2, 66-89.
- Jung, S.H., Lim, H.M. and Lee, J.K., 2009, Analysis of the accuracy of the UAV photogrammetric method using digital camera, Journal of the Korean Society of Surveying, Geodesy, Photogrammetry and Cartography, Vol. 27, No. 6, 741-747.
- Lee, I.S., Lee, J.O., Kim, S.J. and Hong, S.H., 2013, Orhtophoto accuracy assessment of ultra-light fixed wing UAV photogrammetry techniques, Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 33, No. 6, 2593-2600. https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.6.2593
- Lee, S. and Choi, Y., 2015a, Topographic Survey at Small-scale Open-pit Mines using a Popular Rotary-wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Drone), TUNNEL & UNDERGROUND SPACE, Vol. 25, No. 5, 462-469. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2015.25.5.462
- Lee, S. and Choi, Y., 2015b, On-site Demonstration of Topographic Surveying Techniques at Open-pit Mines using a Fixed-wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle(Drone), TUNNEL & UNDERGROUND SPACE, Vol. 25, No. 6, 527-533. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2015.25.6.527
- Rhee, S., Kim, T., Kim, J., Kim, M.C. and Chang, H.J., 2015, DSM Generation and Accuracy Analysis from UAV Images on River-side Facilities, Korean Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 31, No. 2, 183-191. https://doi.org/10.7780/kjrs.2015.31.2.12
- Siebert, S. and Teizer, J., 2014, Mobile 3D mapping for surveying earthwork projects using an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) system, Automation in Construction, Vol. 41, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2014.01.004
- Turner, D., Lucieer, A. and Watson, C., 2012, An automated technique for generating georectified mosaics from ultra-high resolution unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) imagery based on structure from motion (SfM) point clouds, Remote Sensing, Vol. 4, 1392-1410. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs4051392
- Wang, Q., Wu, L., Chen, S., Shu, D., Xu, Z., Li, F. and Wang, R., 2014, Accuracy Evaluation of 3D Geometry from Low-Attitude UAV Images:A Case Study at Zijin Mine, Proc. of 4th International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, ISPRS, Suzhou, China, May 14-16, 297-300.
- Application of Drone Photogrammetry for Current State Analysis of Damage in Forest Damage Areas vol.24, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7319/kogsis.2016.24.3.049
- Estimation of Reservoir Area and Capacity Curve Equation using UAV Photogrammetry vol.24, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7319/kogsis.2016.24.3.093
- Change Monitoring in Ecological Restoration Area of Open-Pit Mine Using Drone Photogrammetry vol.24, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7319/kogsis.2016.24.4.097
- A New GIS-Based Algorithm to Support Initial Transmitter Layout Design in Open-Pit Mines vol.11, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11113063
- Comparison of Communication Viewsheds Derived from High-Resolution Digital Surface Models Using Line-of-Sight, 2D Fresnel Zone, and 3D Fresnel Zone Analysis vol.7, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi7080322
Supported by : 한국연구재단