- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Gender and Region on the Relationships between Teenagers' Use of Social Network Sites and Social Capital
청소년들의 소셜 네트워크 사이트 이용과 사회적 자본의 상관관계에 있어서의 성별 및 지역 차이
- Received : 2015.09.25
- Accepted : 2015.12.22
- Published : 2016.02.29
This study aimed to examine how gender and regional differences affect the relationships between SNS use and social capital. By analyzing a large set of data from Korean teenagers, significant roles of gender and regional differences could be found. In regards to gender difference, the most notable finding was the negative effects of SNS use on bonding and bridging social capital among male teenagers. Furthermore, it was found that such negative effects of SNS use were significant particularly among urban teenagers. These findings theoretically contribute to broadening the understanding of the relationships between SNS use and social capital.
Teenagers' SNS use;Social Capital;Bonding and Bridging;Regional Differences;Gender Differences
- N. B. Ellison, J. Vitak, R. Gray, C. Lampe, "Cultivating Social Resources on Social Network Sites: Facebook Relationship Maintenance Behaviors and Their Role in Social Capital Processes," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 19, pp. 855-870, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jcc4.12078
- D. Liu, B. B. Brown, "Self-Disclosure on Social Networking Sites, Positive Feedback, and Social Capital among Chinese College Students," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 38, pp. 213-219, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.06.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.06.003
- W. Xie, "Social Network Site Use, Mobile Personal Talk and Social Capital among Teenagers," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 41, pp. 228-235, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.09.042 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.09.042
- J. Vitak, N. B. Ellison, C. Steinfield, "The Ties That Bond: Re-Examining the Relationship between Facebook Use and Bonding Social Capital," Computer Society Press, 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/HICSS.2011.435
- J. S. Coleman, "Social Capital in the Creation of Human Capital," American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 94, pp. 95-121, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1086/228943
- P. Bourdieu, L. Wacquant, "An Invitation to Reflexive Sociology," University of Chicago Press, 1992.
- R. D. Putnam, "Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community," Simon and Schuster, 2001.
- M. Granovetter, "The Strength of Weak Ties: A Network Theory Revisited," Sociological Theory, Vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 201-233, 1983. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/202051 https://doi.org/10.2307/202051
- K. H. Kim, H. Yun, "Cying for Me, Cying for Us: Relational Dialectics in a Korean Social Network Site," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 298-318, 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2007.00397.x
- H. Farrow, Y. C. Yuan, "Building Stronger Ties with Alumni through Facebook to Increase Volunteerism and Charitable Giving," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 445-464, 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2011.01550.x
- J. F. Helliwell, R. D. Putnam, "The Social Context of Well-Being," Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, Vol. 359, no. 1449, pp. 1435-1446, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2004.1522
- V. Rideout, U. G. Foehr, D. F. Roberts, "Generation M2: Media in the Lives of 8-to 18-Year-Olds," The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, 2010.
- A. Lenhart, M. Madden, A. R. Macgill, A. Smith, "Teens and Social Media," Pew Internet and American Life Project, 2007.
- A. Lenhart, M. Madden, "Social Networking Websites and Teens: An Overview," Pew Internet and American Life Project, 2007.
- N. Lin, "Social Capital: A Theory of Social Structure and Action," Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- E. Hargittai, "Whose Space? Differences among Users and Non-Users of Social Network Sites," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 276-297, 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2007.00396.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2007.00396.x
- R. LaRose, J. L. Gregg, S. Strover, J. Straubhaar, S. Carptenter, "Closing the Rural Broadband Gap: Promoting Adoption of the Internet in Rural America," Telecommunications Policy, Vol. 31, no. 6-7, pp. 359-373, 2007. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2007.04.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.telpol.2007.04.004
- J. Horrigan, K. Murray, "Home Broadband Adoption in Rural America," Pew Internet and American Life Project, 2006.
- E. Gilbert, K. Karahalios, C. Sandvig, "The Network in the Garden: Designing Social Media for Rural Life," American Behavioral Scientist, Vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 1367-1388, 2010. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0002764210361690 https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764210361690
- D. Williams, "On and Off the 'Net: Scales for Social Capital in an Online Era," Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 593-628, 2006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2006.00029.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2006.00029.x
- M. Rosenberg, "Conceiving the Self," Basic Books, 1979.
- L. Hu, P. M. Bentler, "Cutoff Criteria for Fit Indexes in Covariance Structure Analysis: Conventional Criteria Versus New Alternatives," Structural Equation Modeling, Vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1-55, 1999. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118 https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- M. McCombs, "Mass Media in the Marketplace," Journalism Monographs, Vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 1-10, 1972.
- M. J. Kang, "Identity and Intimacy of Adolescents and Young Adults: Differences Based on the Use of Social Media," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1-28, 2013.
- A. M. Manago, M. B. Graham, P. M. Greenfield, G. Salimkhan, "Self-Presentation and Gender on MySpace," Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, Vol. 29, pp. 446-458, 2008. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2008.07.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2008.07.001
- L. Brody, "Gender and Emotion: Beyond Stereotypes," Journal of Social Issues, Vol. 53, pp. 369-394, 1997. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1997.tb02448.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1997.tb02448.x
- K. H. Kim, "A Longitudinal Analysis of Adolescents' Private Education and its Effects," National Youth Policy Institute, 2007.