- Volume 44 Issue 1
This study looks at spatiotemporal theories regarding the pluralism of time inherent in garden space, and attempts to establish spatiotemporal theories suitable for garden spaces. Based on the established theories, this study analyzes the intimacy of garden spaces by focusing on the objective and subjective time of garden spaces in Derek Jarman's garden through a literature review. The sense of time inherent to a garden space was divided into objective and subjective time. The former refers to ecological time that is quantified and has durability, while the latter indicates time that changes according to the consciousness of the human subject. It also includes time that is emotionalized by the sense of the human subject. This study first interpreted Jarman's garden space from the perspective of objective time. The garden transforms itself into a sensitive space according to Jarman's personal emotions in the current space within objective time, showing the multilayered attributes of space. Therefore, a garden space that exists in objective time is ultimately not objective, and is transformed according to the active reception of the human subject. Next, this study examined Jarman's garden space from the perspective of subjective time. The garden space lost in Jarman's memories and the one in his future illusion turn into a space that connotes abundant meaning according to Jarman's imagination or perception. Therefore, in subjective time, garden space is transformed according to Jarman's consciousness. This study verified that garden space, regardless of whether time is objective or subjective, can create infinite space according to the consciousness or emotions of the human subject beyond the existence of physical space. Since garden space has a unique intimacy unlike urban space, this study presented the uniqueness of garden space with an approach that differs from previous studies on gardens.
Prospect Cottage;Garden Space;Objective Time;Subjective Time;Sensitive Space
Bae, Sang Joon(2005) Farbasthetik bei Derek Jarman: In bezug auf
(1993). Korea Institute of Digital Video 2(1): 47-71.
- Bhatti, M., A. Church, A. Claremont and P. Stenner(2009) 'I love being in the garden': enchanting encounters in everyday life. Social & Cultural Geography 10(1): 61-76. https://doi.org/10.1080/14649360802553202
- Bhatti, M., A. Church and A. Claremont(2014) Peaceful, pleasant and private: The British domestic garden as an ordinary landscape. Landscape Research 39(1): 40-52. https://doi.org/10.1080/01426397.2012.759918
- Bruno, G.(2002) Atlas of Emotion: Journeys in Art, Architecture, and Film. Verso.
- Carrier, M.(1992) Kant's relational theory of absolute space. Kant Studien 83(4): 399-416.
- Choi, Z.(2009) Zur Untersuchung der Phäanomenologie Merleau-Pontys undHusserls imHinblick auf den Begriff des Leibes - Eine phäanomenologische Untersuchung des Leibes. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 40: 1-33.
- Clement, G.(2012) Une breve histoire du jardin. Paris, ed. JC Behar.
- Davidson, J. and C. Milligan(2004) Embodying emotion sensing space: Introducing emotional geographies. Social & Cultural Geography 5(4): 523-532. https://doi.org/10.1080/1464936042000317677
- Elden, S.(2009) "Space I", in Kitchin, R. and Thrift, N.(eds)., 2009, International Encyclopedia of Human Geography, Vol. 10, Elsevier, 262-267.
- Feld, S. and K. H. Basso(1996) Senses of place. School of American Research Press; Distributed by the University of Washington Press.
- Foucault, M. and J. Miskowiec(1986) Of other spaces. Diacritics, 22-27.
- Game, A.(1995) Time, space, memory with reference to Bachelard, in Featherstone, M., Lash, S. and Robertson, R.(eds) Global Modernities. London: Sage, pp. 192-208.
- Gibson, J. J.(1966) The Senses Considered as Perceptual Systems. Oxford, England: Houghton Mifflin.
- Gibson, J. J., E. S. Reed and R. Jones(1982) Reasons for Realism: Selected Essays of James J. Gibson. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Gibson, J. J.(2013) The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception. Psychology Press.
- Harrison, Robert Pogue(2012) Gardens: An Essay on the Human Condition. Seoul: Namudosi Publishing.
- Heidegger, M.(1989) Sein und Zeit. Seoul: Time & Space Press.
- Hitchings, R.(2003) People, plants and performance: on actor network theory and the material pleasures of the private garden. Social & Cultural Geography 4(1): 99-114. https://doi.org/10.1080/1464936032000049333
- Hwang, S.(2005) Comparative study on Kant and Bergson's epistemology. Journal of Philosophy Thought 21: 183-224.
- Ingold, Tim(2000) The Perception of the Environment: Essays on Livelihood, Dwelling and Skill. Psychology Press.
- Jarman, Derek(1992) Modern Nature: The Journals of Derek Jarman. Random House.
- Jarman, Derek(1995) Derek Jarman's Garden. Thames and Hudson.
- Jung, C. G.(1995) Uber Synchronizitat. Buchclub Ex Libris.
- Kang, D.(2010) Natural space and cognitional space in modern. Journal of Korean Philosophical Society 16: 1-31.
- Kang, H.(2011) Existence and Time: The Topology and Thinking Flow of Heidegger, Martin's "Existence". Hangilsa.
- Kim, J.(2004) Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. Philosophy Institute Seoul National University. 1-141.
- Kim, K.(2004) Material & Movement: Can Matter Motion Explain the Natural Phenomenon. 10 Issues of Western Modern Philosophy. Changbi. pp. 13-84.
- Kim, Y.(2014) Natural Philosophers' Space Theorys and Spatial Feature in Modern Times. Korean Society for Space Environment 2014 Autumn Academic Event. 55-69.
- Kwak, Y.(1998) Relativistic space-time as seen by Kant. Journal of the Daedong Philosophical Association 2: 85-102.
- Lee, B.(1999) Shadow: Our Inner Dark Partners. Seoul: Hangilsa.
- Lee, H.(2013) On the doble aspects of relative space in Leibniz. Studies in Urban Humanities 5(1): 39-63.
- Lee, J.(2014) Finding the Way from the English Garden. Seoul: Hansup.
- Lee, S.(2009) Space in ancient western philosophy. Journal of the New Korean Philosophical Association 58: 279-304.
- Liotta, Elena(2009) On Soul and Earth: The Psychic Value of Place. London: Routledge.
- Lloyd, C.(1996) The Jarman Garden Experience. Derek Jarman: A Portrait, 147-152.
- Longhurst, R.(2006) Plots, plants and paradoxes: Contemporary domestic gardens in Aotearoa/New Zealand. Social & Cultural Geography 7(4): 581-593. https://doi.org/10.1080/14649360600825729
- Malgorzata Szafralska(2006) Place, time and movement: A new look at Renaissance gardens. Studies in the History of Gardens & Designed Landscapes: An International Quarterly 26(3): 194-236. https://doi.org/10.1080/14601176.2006.10435466
- Mun, C.(2005) Existence and time: Being and time: Bergson, Heidegger and Whitehead. Journal of Alfred North Whitehead 10: 85-110.
- Nast, H. and S. Pile(Eds.)(2005) Places through the body. Routledge.
- O'Neill, M. E.(2001). Corporeal experience: A haptic way of knowing. Journal of Architectural Education 55(1): 3-12. https://doi.org/10.1162/104648801753168765
- O'Quinn, Daniel(1999) Gardening, history, and the escape from time: Derek Jarman's. Modern Nature (October): 113-126.
- O'Pray, M.(2003) Derek Jarman: Dreams of England. British Film Inst.
- Rodaway, Paul(2002) Sensuous Geographies: Body, Sense and Place. Routledge.
- Ryu, J.(2010) L'entrecroisement de l'espace et le temps: Lefebvre et Bergson. Journal of Philosophy and Phenomenology 46: 35-59.
- Seo, D.(2008) Phenomenology of space. Journal of the New Korean Philosophical Association 54(4): 335-358.
- Sim, K.(2014) Space-temporality, subjectivity and body by Merleau- Ponty. Journal of the New Korean Philosophical Association 76: 477-497.
- Steyaert, Chris(2010) Queering space: Heterotopic life in Derek Jarman's garden. Gender, Work & Organization 17(1): 45-68.
- Sung, J.(2012) Ideals represented in gardens - Focused on Thomas Jefferson's academical village and Monticello. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 40(1): 69-80.
- Tagliolini, Alessandro, and Massimo Venturi Ferriolo, eds(1987) Il giardino: idea, natura, realta. Vol. 1. Guerini e associati.
- Teather, E. K.(Ed.)(1999) Embodied Geographies: Spaces, Bodies and Rites of Passage (Vol. 2). Psychology Press.
- Wollen, R.(1996) Derek Jarman: A Portrait (p. 15). London: Thames and Hudson.
- Yang, K.(2009) A study on the nature of space-time. Journal of Korean Philosophical Society 12: 79-102.
- Yu, H.(2015). What Makes a City to Live. Seoul: Eulyoo.