- Volume 65 Issue 1
Fault location identification in the transmission line is an essential part of quick service restoration for maintaining a stable in power system. The application of digital schemes to protection IEDs has led to the development of digital fault locators. Normally, the impedance measurement had been used to for the location detection of transmission line faults. It is well known that the most accurate fault location scheme uses two-ended measurements. This paper deals with the complete design of a fault locator using GPS time-synchronized phasor for transmission line fault detection. The fault location algorithm uses the transmitted relaying signals from the two-ended terminal. The fault locator hardware consists of a Main Processor Unit, Analog Digital Processor Unit, Signal Interface Unit, and Power module. In this paper, sample real-time test cases using COMTRADE format of Omicron apparatus are included. We can see that the implemented fault locator identified all the test faults.
COMTRADE format;Fault location scheme;GPS time synchronized;IED;Impedance measurement;Service restoration;Transmission line fault;Two-end terminals
- C.W. Park, K.D. Yoon et al., "Development of Fault Locator for T/L using Synchophasor", Final-Report MSIP(Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning), pp. 1-93, 2015. 12.
- M.M. Saha, J. Izykowski, E. Rosolowski, "Fault Location on Power Networks", Springer-Verlag London Limited, pp. 1-425, 2010.
- M.C. Shin, M.U. Kim, C.H. Kim, "An Algorithm on the Estimation of the Fault Location in Transmission Line using Fourier Series", 1986 KIEE Summer Conference, pp. 293-295, 1986. 7.
- T.W. Kwon, S.H. Kang, M.S. Choi, S.J. Lee, "Fault Location Algorithm for Parallel Transmission Line with a Teed Circuit", KIEE Autumn Conference, pp. 116-118, 1999. 11.
- D.S. Lee, B.G. Jin, S.J. Lee, S.H. Kang, M.S. Choi, B.S. Ahn, N.Y. Yoon, "A Fault Location Algorithm for Distribution Feeder Systems", KIEE Spring Conference, pp. 251-253, 2001. 5.
- D.S. Lee, B.G. Jin, S.J. Lee, M.S. Choi, S.H. Kang,, B.S. Ahn, N.Y. Yoon, "A Fault Location Algorithm using Current Distribution Factors for D/S", KIEE Autumn Conference, pp. 275-277, 2001. 11.
- S.H. Kang, J.K. No, Y.J. Kwon, "A Fault Location Algorithm for a Single Line Ground Fault on a Multi-Terminal Transmission Line", Trans. KIEE Vol. 52A, No. 2, pp. 121-133, 2003. 2.
- J.H. Kim, S.H. Kang, "A Fault Location Algorithm for a Transmission Line Using Travelling Waves", Trans. KIEE Vol. 53A, No. 10, pp. 542-549, 2004. 10.
- S.W. Lee, B.N. Ha, "Recursive Real Time Fault Locator with Wavelet Method", Trans. KIEE Vol. 57, No. 9, pp. 1522-1530, 2008. 9.
- C.W. Park, "Advanced Distance Relaying of on a Double Circuit Transmission Line", Journal of KIIEE, Vol.29, No.8, pp. 23-31, 2015. 8.
- A. Sauhats, A. Jonins, V. Chuvychin, M. Danilva, "Fault Location Algorithms for Power Transmission Lines based on Monte-Carlo Methods", 2001 IEEE Porto Power Tech Conference, pp. 233-238, 2001. 9.
- M. Shukr, D. W. P. Thomas, P. Zanchetta, "VSC-HVDC Transmission Line Faults Location Using Active Line Impedance Estimation", 2nd IEEE ENERGYCON Conference & Exhibition, pp. 244-248, 2012.
- K. Saravanababu, P. Balakrishnan, K. Sathiyasekar, "Transmission Line Faults Detection, Classification, and Location Using Discrete Wavelet Transform", International Conference on Power, Energy and Control, pp. 233-238, 2013. 2.
- S. Das, S. Santoso, A. Gaikwad, M. Patel, "Impedance-Based Fault Location in Transmission Networks: Theory and Application", IEEE Journals & Magazines, Volume 2, pp. 537-557, 2014. 5
- J. Ma, Y. Shi, W. Ma, Z. Wang, "Location Method for Interline and Grounded Faults of Double-Circuit Transmission Lines Based on Distributed Parameters", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, pp. 1307-1316 Volume 30, 2015. 6. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2014.2360076
- K.M Lee, M.S. Han, K.H. Seok, C.W. Park, "Advanced Fault Locating Algorithm on a Double Circuit Transmission Line", International Smart Grid Conference, 2015. 10.
- Test Report, TTA(Telecommunications Technology Association), BT-A-15-0616, pp. 1-18, 2015. 12.