- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Test for Psychobiologic Entropy Model on Cancer Related Fatigue among Patients with Solid Tumors
고형암 환자의 암성피로에 대한 정신생리학적 엔트로피 모델 검증
Oh, Chang Hee;Park, Hyunyoung;Lee, Ji Suk;Choi, Ja Yun
- Received : 2015.09.25
- Accepted : 2016.02.09
- Published : 2016.02.29
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to test a Winningham's psychobiologic entropy model (PEM) on cancer related fatigue (CRF) among patients with solid tumors. Methods: Participants consisted of 213 patients with solid tumors recruited from December, 2012 through June, 2013, in a university hospital, in Hwasun, South Korea. Primary symptoms, adjustment, physical activity, status of nutrition and fatigue were measured using structured questionnaires. Collected data were analyzed using SPSS 21.0 and AMOS 21.0 programs. Results: The modified model tested provided a reasonable fit to the data (
- Mock V, Atkinson A, Barsevick AM, Berger AM, Cimprich B, Eisenberger MA, et al. Cancer-related fatigue. Clinical practice guidelines in oncology. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network: JNCCN. 2007;5(10):1054-78. https://doi.org/10.6004/jnccn.2007.0088
- Hofman M, Ryan JL, Figueroa-Moseley CD, Jean-Pierre P, Morrow GR. Cancer-related fatigue: the scale of the problem. Oncologist. 2007;12(1):4-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.12-S1-4 https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.12-S1-4
- Horneber M, Fischer I, Dimeo F, Ruffer JU, Weis J. Cancerrelated fatigue: epidemiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment. Deutsches Arzteblatt International. 2012;109(9): 161-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.3238/arztebl.2012.0161 https://doi.org/10.3238/arztebl.2012.0161
- Winningham ML, Nail LM, Burke MB, Brophy L, Cimprich B, Jones LS, et al. Fatigue and the cancer experience: the state of the knowledge. Oncology Nursing Forum. 1994;21(1):23-36.
- Bower JE, Lamkin DM. Inflammation and cancer-related fatigue: mechanism, contributing factors, and treatment implications. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity. 2013;30:48-S57. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bbi.2012.06.011 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbi.2012.06.011
- AI-Majid S, Gray P. A biobehavioral model for the study of exercise interventions in cancer-related fatigue. Biological Research for Nursing. 2009;10(4):381-91. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099800408324431
- Choi JY, Kang HS. Influencing factors for fatigue in cancer patients. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing. 2007;37(3):365-72. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1099800408324431 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.3.365
- Pearson EJ, Morris ME, McKinstry CE. Cancer-related fatigue: a survey of health practitioner knowledge and practice. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2015; [Epub ahead of print].
- Winningham, M. The role of exercise in cancer therapy. In: Eistinger M, Watson RW, editors. Exercise and disease. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 1992. p. 63-70.
- Zordan R, Manitta V, Nandurkar H, Cole-Sinclair M, Philip J. Prevalence and predictors of fatigue in haemo-oncological patients. Internal Medicine Journal 2014;44(10):1013-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/imj.12517 https://doi.org/10.1111/imj.12517
- Nail LM, Winningham ML. Fatigue and weakness in cancer patients: the symptom experience. Seminars in Oncology Nursing. 1995;11(4):272-8.
- Husain N, Cruickshank K, Husain M, Khan S, Tomenson B, Rahman A. Social stress and depression during pregnancy and in the postnatal period in British Pakistani mothers: a cohort study. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2012;140(3):268-76. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2012.02.009 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2012.02.009
- Bentler PM, Chou CP. Practical issues in structural modeling. Sociological Methods and Research. 1987;15(1):78-117. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0049124187016001004 https://doi.org/10.1177/0049124187016001004
- Kim YJ, Kim JY, Choi IR, Kim MW, Rhodes VA. The index of nausea, vomiting, and retching(Korean translation). Journal of Korean Academy Adult Nursing. 2000;12(2):278-85.
- Zigmond AS, Snaith RP. The hospital anxiety and depression scale. British Medical Journal. 1983;67(6):361-70.
- Shin JS, Lee YB. The effects of social supports on psychosocial well-being of the unemployed. Korean Journal of Social Welfare. 1999;37:241-69.
- Cho YW, Song ML, Morin CM. Validation of a Korean version of the insomnia severity index. Journal of Clinical Neurology. 2014;10(3):210-5. http://dx.doi.org/10.3988/jcn.2014.10.3.210 https://doi.org/10.3988/jcn.2014.10.3.210
- Bauer J, Capra S, Ferguson M. Use of the scored patient-generated subjective global assessment(PG-SGA) as a nutrition assessment tool in patients with cancer. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2002;56:779-85. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601412
- Lee MS. Relationship between breast cancer and coping style or emotional adaptation [master thesis]. Seoul: Seoul National University; 1997.
- Oh JY, Yang YJ, Kim BS, Kang JH. Validity and reliability of Korean version of International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) short form. Korean Journal of Family Medicine. 2007;28(7):532-41. http://dx.doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2012.33.3.144
- Mendoza TR, Wang XS, Cleeland CS, Morrissey M, Johnson BA, Wendt JK, et al. The rapid assessment of fatigue severity in cancer patients: use of the brief fatigue inventory. Cancer. 1999;85(5):1186-96. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19990301)85:5<1186::AID-CNCR24>3.0.CO;2-N
- Valentine AD, Meyers CA. Cognitive and mood disturbance as causes and symptoms of fatigue in cancer patients. Cancer. 2001;92(6 Suppl):1694-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20010915)92:6+<1694::AID-CNCR1499>3.0.CO;2-S
- Porock D, Beshears B, Hilton P, Anderson C. Nutritional, functional, an emotional characteristics related to fatigue in patients during and after biochemotherapy. Oncology Nursing Forum. 2005;32(3):661-7. https://doi.org/10.1188/05.ONF.661-667
- Mitchell SA, Beck SL, Hood AE, Moore K, Tanner ER. Putting evidence into practice: evidence-based interventions for fatigue during and following cancer and its treatment. Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing. 2007;11(1):99-113. http://dx.doi.org/10.1188/07.CJON.99-113 https://doi.org/10.1188/07.CJON.99-113
- Cramp F, Byron-Daniel J. Exercise for the management of cancer-related fatigue in adults. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2012;11:CD006145. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006145.pub3 https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006145.pub3
- Seo YM, Oh HS, Seo WS, Kim HS. Comprehensive predictors of fatigue for cancer patients. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing. 2006;36(7):1224-31. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.7.1224
- Dirksen SR, Belyea MJ, Epstein DR. Fatigue-based subgroups of breast cancer survivors with insomnia. Cancer Nursing. 2009;32(5):404-11. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e3181a5d05e https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e3181a5d05e
- Guest DD, Evans EM, Rogers LQ. Diet components associated with perceived fatigue in breast cancer survivors. European Journal of Cancer Care. 2013;22(1):51-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2012.01368.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2012.01368.x
- Lee YH, Tsai YF, Lai YH, Tsai CM. Fatigue experience and coping strategies in Taiwanese lung cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2008;17(7):876-83. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02021.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02021.x
- Minton O, Richardson A, Sharpe M, Hotopf M, Stone P. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the pharmacological treatment of cancer-related fatigue. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2008;100(16):1155-66. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djn250 https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djn250