- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effect of the Resilience on the Relationship between Type D Personality and Compliance in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease
관상동맥질환자의 D유형 성격과 치료지시이행의 관계에 미치는 극복력의 매개효과
Cheon, Mi Young;Kang, Jiyeon
- Received : 2015.10.16
- Accepted : 2016.01.22
- Published : 2016.02.29
Purpose: This study aimed to identify the mediating effect of the resilience on the relationship between type D personality and compliance of Coronary Artery Disease (CAD) patients. Methods: The subjects were 236 CAD patients who visited the cardiology outpatient clinics of D University Medical Center in B City in Korea. The type D personality, resilience, and compliance of subjects were measured using structured questionnaires from July to August, 2014. The mediating effect was analyzed by a multiple hierarchical regression. Results: The subjects with type D personality accounted for 30.9% of all study subjects. The resilience and compliance of type D subjects were significantly lower than those of non type D subjects. There was a significant correlation between resilience and compliance. The direct effect of type D personality on compliance was not significant (
Coronary artery disease;Patient compliance;Type D personality;Psychological resilience
- Brorsson B, Bernstein SJ, Brook RH, Werko L. Quality of life of patients with chronic stable angina before and four years after coronary revascularisation compared with a normal population. Heart: Official Journal of the British Cardiac Society. 2002;87(2):140-145. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/heart.87.2.140 https://doi.org/10.1136/heart.87.2.140
- Kim HS, Cho HY. Effects of individualized cardiac health education on self care behavior and serum cholesterol in patients with coronary artery disease. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2010;22(3):322-8.
- Chow CK, Jolly S, Rao-Melacini P, Fox KAA, Anand SS, Yusuf S. Association of diet, exercise, and smoking modification with risk of early cardiovascular events after acute coronary syndromes. Circulation. 2010;121(6):750-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.891523 https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.891523
- Molloy GJ, Perkins-Porras L, Strike PC, Steptoe A. Social networks and partner stress as predictors of adherence to medication, rehabilitation attendance, and quality of life following acute coronary syndrome. Health Psychology. 2008;27(1):52-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0278-6188.8.131.52 https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6184.108.40.206
- Choi OJ, Cho BH. The effect of supportive nursing care on the knowledge level and compliance of sick-role behavior in patients with coronary artery disease after coronary angiography. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2007;19(5):729-37.
- Kronish IM, Rieckmann N, Burg MM, Edmondson D, Schwartz JE, Davidson KW. The effect of enhanced depression care on adherence to risk-reducing behaviors after acute coronary syndromes: findings from the COPES trial. The American Heart Journal. 2012;164(4):524-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2012.07.024 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2012.07.024
- Kupper N, Denollet J. Type D personality as a prognostic factor in heart disease: assessment and mediating mechanisms. Journal of Personality Assessment. 2007;89(3):265-76. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00223890701629797 https://doi.org/10.1080/00223890701629797
- Park JH, Tahk SJ, Bae SH. Impact of type D personality on health status and health behaviors in patients with coronary artery disease. Korean Journal of Health Promotion. 2010;10 (3):123-30.
- Szekely A, Balog P, Benko E, Breuer T, Szekely J, Kertai MD, et al. Anxiety predicts mortality and morbidity after coronary artery and valve surgery-a 4-year follow-up study. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2007;69(7):625-31. https://doi.org/10.1097/PSY.0b013e31814b8c0f
- Song EK, Son YJ. The analysis of type D personality research as a psychosocial risk factor in cardiovascular disease for elders with a chronic disease. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2008;38(1):19-28. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.1.19
- Statistics Korea. 2013 life tables for Korea [internet]. Seoul: Statistics Korea; 2013 [cited 2014 December 20]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parmTabId=M_01_01
- Lemesle G, Sudre A, Modine T, Delhaye C, Rosey G, Gourlay T, et al. High incidence of recurrent in stent thrombosis after successful treatment of a first in stent thrombosis. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions. 2008;72(4):470-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ccd.21709 https://doi.org/10.1002/ccd.21709
- Denollet J. DS14: standard assessment of negative affectivity, social inhibition, and Type D personality. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2005;67(1):89-97. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.psy.0000149256.81953.49
- Williams L, O'Connor RC, Howard S, Hughes BM, Johnston DW, Hay JL, et al. Type-D personality mechanisms of effect: the role of health-related behavior and social support. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2008;64(1):63-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2007.06.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2007.06.008
- Yu X, Chen Z, Zhang J, Liu X. Coping mediates the association between type D personality and perceived health in Chinese patients with coronary heart disease. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2011;18(3):277-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12529-010-9120-y https://doi.org/10.1007/s12529-010-9120-y
- Smith BW, Dalen J, Wiggins K, Tooley E, Christopher P, Bernard J. The brief resilience scale: assessing the ability to bounce back. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2008;15(3):194-200. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10705500802222972 https://doi.org/10.1080/10705500802222972
- Noh JH, Lim EJ, Jeong YS. Factors Influencing type D personality of female undergraduate students majoring in nursing. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2013;14(12):6265-74. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.12.6265
- Shin SJ, Jung DY, Hwang EH. Concept analysis of resilience in patients with cardiovascular diseases. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2009;39(6):788-95. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.788
- Gallo CL, Ghaed SG, Bracken WS. Emotions and cognitions in coronary heart disease: risk, resilience, and social context. Cognitive Therapy and Research. 2004;28(5):669-94. http://dx.doi.org/10.1023/B:COTR.0000045571.11566.19 https://doi.org/10.1023/B:COTR.0000045571.11566.19
- Chan IWS, Lai JCL, Wong KWN. Resilience is associated with better recovery in Chinese people diagnosed with coronary heart disease. Psychology and Health. 2006;21(3):335-49. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14768320500215137 https://doi.org/10.1080/14768320500215137
- Kim DH. Mediation effect of resilience between perceived stress and school adjustment in adolescents. Journal of Korean Society Maternal and Child Health. 2014;18(1):143-51. https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2014.18.1.143
- Kong KR, Lee EN. The mediating effects of resilience between symptom experience and depression in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2015;27(4):375-83. http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.4.375 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.4.375
- Lim HE, Lee M, Ko Y, Park Y, Joe S, Kim Y, et al. Assessment of the type D personality construct in the Korean population: a validation study of the Korean DS14. Journal of Korean Medical Science. 2011;26(1):116-23. http://dx.doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2011.26.1.116 https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2011.26.1.116
- Wagnild GM, Young HM. Development and psychometric evaluation of the resilience scale. Journal of Nursing Measurement. 1993;1(2):165-78.
- Shin NY. The relationships among health locus of control and resilience, social support and health promoting behavior in patients with coronary artery disease [master's thesis]. Seoul: Ewha Womans University; 2011.
- Cha KS, Im SM, Cho OH. Mental health and quality of life by type-D personality of the patients with coronary artery disease. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2013;13(5):286-94. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.05.286 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.05.286
- Lee YW, Kim HS, Cho EY. The influencing factors on health behavior of patients with coronary artery disease. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2002;32(1):40-9. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.1.40
- Min ES, Heo MH. Predictors of compliance in hypertensive patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2012;19(4):474-82. http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.4.474 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.4.474
- Lim HS, Han KS. Family resilience enhancement program for families of patients with chronic schizophrenia. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2013;43(1):133-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.1.133 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.1.133
- Griffin KH, Johnson JR, Kitzmann JP, Kolste AK, Dusek JA. Outcomes of a multimodal resilience training program in an outpatient integrative medicine clinic. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2015;21(10):628-37. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/acm.2015.0130 https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2015.0130
- Health Literacy and Self-care Activities of Older Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: The Mediating Effect of Resilience vol.30, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2018.30.4.376