- Volume 28 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of the Family Resilience Reinforcement Program for Family Caregivers of the Elderly with Dementia
치매노인 주 부양자에게 적용한 가족탄력성 강화프로그램의 효과
Bang, Miran;Kim, Oksoo
- Received : 2015.11.03
- Accepted : 2016.01.31
- Published : 2016.02.29
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of Family Resilience Reinforcement Program (FRRP) for family caregivers of the elderly with dementia on the family resilience, caregiver burden, family adaptation, perceived health status and depression. Methods: FRRP was implemented for 60 minutes each time, once a week, for 8 weeks. According to 3 factors of Walsh's Family resilience theory, FRRP was organized and specified as redefining 'belief system' in 1 to 2 sessions, figuring out one's own 'organizational pattern' in 3 to 5 sessions, enhancing 'communication process' in 6 to 8 sessions. A total of 46 family caregivers were assigned into either the experimental group with FRRP or the control group. Data were collected from February 18 to April 12, 2013 at the dementia support centers, and the data of 36 participants were finally analyzed. Results: The experimental group reported statistically significant differences in family resilience (p=.002), caregiver burden (p=.012), family adaptation (p<.001), and perceived health status (p=.002) compared to those in the control group. No significant difference was found between the two groups in depression. Conclusion: In the light of these results, FRRP is considered to decrease caregiver burden and to influence family resilience, family adaptation and perceived health status positively. The developed FRRP is considered to be an efficient nursing intervention for strengthening family resilience of the given population. It warrants future research expanding the range of target population to those caregivers of the patients with other chronic conditions.
- Kim JY, Choi JW. A study on the influences of the filial responsibility attitude and care burden of the family with the elderly with dementia upon the changes of family relation. Korean Thought and Culture. 2011;60:495-525.
- Ahn YS, Jun HJ. The effects of alcoholic family's family resilience on family adaptation. Journal of Family Relations. 2010; 15(3):155-74.
- Cheon SH. The relationship among perceived entrapment, depression and subjective well-being of women as family caregivers caring for dementia elderly. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2011;17(3):285-93. http://dx.doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.285 https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2011.17.3.285
- Suh KH, Chun KI. The moderate effect of social support on family caregivers' burdens and health and quality of life with demented patients. Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues. 2009;15(3):339-57.
- Huey WT, Hashim S. A resilience training module for caregivers of dementia patients. SHS Web of Conferences. 2015; 18(05001):1-8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1051/shsconf/20151805001 https://doi.org/10.1051/shsconf/20151800001
- Faul F, Erdfelder E, Buchner A, Lang AG. Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods. 2009;41(4):1149-60. http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- Sixbey MT. Development of the family resilience assessment scale to identify family resilience constructs [doctoral dissertation]. Florida: University of Florida; 2005. p. 1-171.
- Kim EJ. The influence of family stress on the personal and social performance in schizophrenia: The moderating effect of family resilience [master's thesis]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 2007. p. 1-133.
- Song SI. A study on adaptation of the family with mental disorder: focused on the moderating effect of family resilience. Journal of Social Welfare Development. 2010;16(2):133-55.
- Kwon JD. Measuring the caregiver burden of caring for the demented elderly. Yonsei Social Welfare Review. 1996;3:140-68.
- Antonovsky A, Sourani T. Family sense of coherence and family adaptation. Journal of Marriage and Family. 1988;50(1): 79-92. http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/352429 https://doi.org/10.2307/352429
- Song JK. Strength and adaptation in families with epileptic children. Journal of Korean Family Therapy. 2009;17(1):145-65.
- Radloff LS. The CES-D Scale: a self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Applied Psychological Measurement. 1977;1(3):385-401. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306 https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- Chon KK, Lee MK. Preliminary development of Korean version of CES-D. The Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology. 1992;11(1):65-76.
- Song EJ, Jo HK. Effects of "Happy Plus Program" for family caregivers of patients with dementia on sleep, depression, burden, and quality of life of caregivers. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2014;23 (2):49-59. http://dx.doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2014.23.2.49 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2014.23.2.49
- Walsh F. Strengthening family resilience. New York: Guilford Press; 1998. p. 1-338.
- Suh KH, Chun KI. The moderate effect of social support on family caregivers' burdens and health and quality of life with demented patients. Korean Journal of Culture and Social Issues. 2009;15(3):339-57.
- Park MH, Park MH, Kim HH. Effects of a multimodal psychoeducational program on burden, depression, and problem coping behaviors in family caregivers of patients with dementia. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing. 2015;17(1):10-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2015.17.1.10 https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2015.17.1.10
- Yoo YS. The study on factors affecting adaption of the family with the elderly dementia. Journal of Welfare for the Aged. 2007;38:31-50.
- Kim SD, Kim YH. The effect of family resilience on the life satisfaction of the family caregivers of the elderly with the dementia. Journal of Welfare for the Aged. 2009;45:7-31.
- Jang HY, Yi MS. Effects of burden and family resilience on the family adaptation of family caregivers of elderly with dementia. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2013;25(6):725-35. http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.6.725 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.6.725
- Lee YK, Jung MH. The effect of family resilience on depression and suicide ideation of the elderly. Journal of Welfare for the Aged. 2013;61:111-34.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. 2012 Nationwide study on the prevalence of dementia in Korean elders [Internet]. Seoul: author; 2013 [cited 2015 July 29]. Available from: http://www.mw.go.kr/front_new/al/sal0301vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=04&MENU_ID=0403&CONT_SEQ=286138&page=1
- Papastavrou E, Kalokerinou A, Papacostas SS, Tsangari H, Sourtzi P. Caring for a relative with dementia: family caregiver burden. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2007;58(5):446-57. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04250.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04250.x
- Lee HJ, Lee JW, Lee JY. Family caregiver's burden for the elderly with dementia: moderating effects of social support. Journal of Institute for Social Sciences. 2015;26(1):345-67. http://dx.doi.org/10.16881/jss.2015.01.26.1.345 https://doi.org/10.16881/jss.2015.01.26.1.345
- Oh H, Sok SH. Health condition, burden of caring, and the quality of life among family members of the elderly with senile dementia. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2009;18(2):157-66.
- Yang MH, Yoon GJ. A study on the development and effectiveness verification of a program designed to strengthen family resilience of inpatients with cancer and their families. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association. 2012; 50(1):121-39. http://dx.doi.org/10.6115/khea.2012.50.1.121 https://doi.org/10.6115/khea.2012.50.1.121
- Min HS. The development and application of family resiliency improvement program for improving family adaptation of person with brain injury [dissertation]. Pusan: Kyungsung University; 2007. p. 1-206.
- Lim HS, Han KS. Effects of the family resilience enhancement program for families of patients with chronic schizophrenia. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2013;43(1):133-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.1.133 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2013.43.1.133
- Seok HK, Choi JS. Family resilience enhancement for families with elders affected by dementia. Journal of Korean family therapy. 2015;23(3):499-523.