- Volume 28 Issue 1
Purpose: This study aimed to investigate sleep, fatigue, and the level of health promoting behaviors in Korean army soldiers. The factors influencing on health promoting behaviors of soldiers were also identified. Methods: A cross-sectional descriptive survey design was used. Data was collected from 269 soldiers in four military units of Korea in July 2015. Verran and Snyder-Halpern Sleep Scale, Fatigue Severity Scale, and Health Promoting Lifestyle Profile-II were used. Results: The health promoting behaviors were significantly different by perceived health status (p<.001) and presence of fatigue (p<.001). There were significant correlations between quality of sleep, fatigue, and health promoting behaviors of the subjects. In a multiple linear regression analysis, the level of health promoting behaviors were lower in the subjects with high level of fatigue (p<.001) and with fair perceived health status (p=.003). Conclusion: In order to increase health promoting behaviors of soldiers, it takes into account of soldiers' fatigue and perceived health status. Environmental arrangement for soldiers for the break time is needed urgently to decrease their fatigue as well as to improve their sleep quality.
Soldier;Sleep;Fatigue;Health promoting behaviors
- Jyung CY, Joo HS, Kim TW. Strategies for the improvement of military service value of soldiers in the army. Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development. 2013; 45(3):147-79. https://doi.org/10.23840/agehrd.2013.45.3.147
- Ko EJ. Fatigue, sleep patterns, social support and adaptation to military life among soldiers. Journal of Military Nursing Research. 2009;27(2):68-88.
- Choi KT, Kim CG. The effect of stress management program for maladjusted soldiers. Korean Academy of Military Social Welfare. 2015;8(1):69-103.
- Joe SY, Hyun HS, Jung OJ, Jung YS. Development of a health promotion program for small unit Soldiers Using PRECEDE Model. Journal of military nursing research. 2010;28(2):14-28.
- Joe SY. Relations of health promoting behaviors, mental health, and military life adjustments of soldiers. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2003;12 (2):164-71.
- Son YJ, Park YR. Relationships between sleep quality, fatigue and depression on health promoting behavior by shift-work patterns in university hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. 2011;13(3):229-37.
- Lee JY, Kim KM. The factors related to health promotion behavior of the korean navy. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society. 2015;17(3):1653-66.
- Joe SY, KO EJ, Kim HH. Research on the health behaviors of military personnel: systematic literature review. Journal of military nursing research. 2001;29(1):124-37.
- Pender NJ, Nurdaugh C, Parsons MA. Health promotion in nursing practice. 6th ed. Boston, MA: Pearson; 2011.
- Kim SO, So HY, Kim HL. A study on the fatigue and health promoting behavior of public health nurses and hospital nurses. Journal of Korean Academy Community Health Nursing. 2003;14(4):699-706.
- World Health Organization. International association for the study of obesity, international obesity task force. The Asia-Pacific perspective: redefining obesity and its treatment. Sydney: Health Communications. 2000:15-21.
- Snyder-Halpern R, Verran JA. Instrumentation to describe subjective sleep characteristics in healthy subjects. Research in Nursing and Health. 1987;10(3):155-63. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770100307. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770100307
- Krupp LB, LaRocca NG, Muir-Nash J, Steinberg AD. The fatigue severity scale: application to patients with multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus. Archives of Neurology. 1989;46(10):1121-3. http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/archneur.1989.00520460115022. https://doi.org/10.1001/archneur.1989.00520460115022
- Walker SN, Hill-Polreck D. Psychometric evaluation of the health promoting lifestyle profile-II. Paper presented at: the 1996 Scientic Session of the American Nurse Association's Council of Nurse Researchers; 1996; Washington DC.
- Yun SN, Kim JH. Health-promoting behaviors of the women workers at the manufacturing industry-based on the Pender's health promotion model. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 1999;8(2):130-40.
- Son KH, Kin SG, Jin YW, Kim SH, Kim SY, Bang YS, et al. Daytime sleepiness and fatigue in male adults in relation to shift work. Korean Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2005;17(3):199-207.
- Kim JY. A study on the safety accidents by shift systems. Korean Journal of Occupational And Environmental Medicine. 1996;8(2):330-9.
- Cho HS, Kim NH. Physical activity and fatigue in patients with cancer. Asian Oncology Nursing. 2010;10(1):30-7.
- So HY, Yoon HS, Cho YC. Effects of quality of sleep and related factors for fatigue symptoms of nurses in an university hospital. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2008;20(4):513-25.
- Valko PO, Bassetti CL, Bloch KE, Held U, Baumann CR. Validation of the fatigue severity scale in a Swiss cohort. Sleep. 2008;31(11):1601. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/31.11.1601
- Choi-Kwon S, Han SW, Kwon SU, Kim JS. Poststroke fatigue: characteristics and related factors. Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2005;19(2):84-90. http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000082784. https://doi.org/10.1159/000082784
- Kleinman L, Zodet M, Hakim Z, Aledort J, Barker C, Chan K, et al. Psychometric evaluation of the fatigue severity scale for use in chronic hepatitis C. Quality of Life Research. 2000;9(5): 499-508. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008960710415
- Kim HK. Factors influencing health promoting behaviors of university students using Pender's model. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2006;12(2):132-41.
- Heo ML, Im SB. Depression and health promoting behavior depending on the climacteric symptoms of middle-aged male workers. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 2012;21(3):239-46. http://dx.doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.239 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2012.21.3.239
- Lee SH, Chon MY. Health promotion behavior of the labor workers at the cement manufacturing company. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion. 2004;21(3):35-51.
- Koo SS. Study for the problem of soldiers' mental health and the state of military counseling services. Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. 2013;4(1):1-21.
- Kim KS. The relationship among leisure sports' activities, helplessness, social support, and health promoting behaviour of the of the elderly. Journal of Korean Sociology of Sport. 2004; 17(1):17-31.
- Choo HY, Kim WP. A study on the architectural planning improvement for air force military barracks through the public opinion survey. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning and Design. 2009;25(12):329-36.
- Byeon YS, Oak JW. The relation between perceived health status and health-promoting behaviors in female college students. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2008;19(4):715-23.
- Lee MY, Choi MH, Chung YK, Her EH. A study on the relations between health-promoting behaviors and selfefficacy/ perceived health status. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 1999;10(1):140-53.
- Differences in Sleep, Fatigue, and Neurocognitive Function between Shift Nurses and Non-shift Nurses vol.29, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2017.29.2.190