- Volume 20 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Load Capacity Reduction in RC Beam with Corroded FRP Hybrid Bar and Steel
철근부식을 고려한 FRP Hybrid Bar 및 일반 철근을 가진 RC 보의 내력저하 평가
- Received : 2015.07.28
- Accepted : 2015.10.25
- Published : 2016.03.01
Steel corrosion is a very significant problem both to durability and structural safety since reinforcement has to support loads in tensile region in RC(Reinforced Concrete) member. In the paper, newly invented FRP Hybrid Bar and normal steel are embedded in RC beam member, and ICM (Impressed Current Method) is adopted for corrosion acceleration. Utilizing the previous theory of Faraday's Law, corrosion amount is calculated and flexural tests are performed for RC beam with FRP Hybrid Bar and steel, respectively. Corrosion amount level of 4.9~7.8% is measured in normal RC member and the related reduction of flexural capacity is measured to be -25.4~-50.8%, however there are no significant reduction of flexural capacity and corrosion initiation in RC samples with FRP Hybrid Bar due to high resistance of epoxy-coated steel to corrosion initiation. In the accelerated corrosion test, excellent performance of anti-corrosion and bonding with concrete are evaluated but durability evaluation through long-term submerged test is required for actual utilization.
Durability;Steel corrosion;Steel;FRP Hybrid Bar;Flexural capacity
- ACI 440.1R-06 (2006), Guide for the Design and Construction of Structural Concrete Reinforce with FRP Bars, ACI Committee 440.
- Baek, S. H., Wiliam, X., Maria, Q., and Kwon, S. J. (2012), Nondestructive Corrosion Detection in RC Through Integrated Heat Induction and IR Thermography, Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, 31(2), 181-190. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10921-012-0133-0
- Bautista, A., and Gonzalez, J. A. (1996), Analysis of the Protective Efficiency of Galvanizing against Corrosion of Reinforcements Embedded in Chloride Contaminated Concrete, Cement and Concrete Research, 26(2), 215-224. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-8846(95)00215-4
- Broomfield, J. P. (1997), Corrosion of Steel in Concrete: Understanding, Investigation and Repair, E&FN, London, 1-15.
- CEB, New Approach to Durability Design, 1997.
- Chung, L., Won, J. H., and Cho, S. H. (2004), Structural Performance of Reinforced Concrete Columns due to Corroded Main and Hoop Bars, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, 3(10), 3-10.
- KICT (2013), Development of Enhancing Life Span Technology for Waterfront Structures using FRP Hybrid Bars.
- Ko, S. H. (2014), Experimental Study for GFRP Reinforced Concrete Beams without Stirrups, Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection, 18(2), 21-29.
- Kwon, S. J., and Na, U. J. (2011(a)), Prediction of Durability for RC Columns with Crack and Joint under Carbonation Based on Probabilistic Approach, International Journal of Concrete Structures and Materials, 5(1), 11-18. https://doi.org/10.4334/IJCSM.2011.5.1.011
- Kwon, S. J., Henry, X., and Maria, Q. (2011(b)), Nondestructive corrosion detection in concrete through integrated heat induction and IR thermography, Published in SPIE Proceedings, 1-11.
- Kwon, S.-J., and Park,S.S., (2012), Non Destructive Technique for Steel Corrosion Detection Using Heat Induction and IR Thermography, Journal of the Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection, 16(2), 40-48.
- Lee, C. S., Bae, I. Y., Kim, K. J., Moon, K. M., and Lee, M.H. (2004), Properties Analysis of Environment Friendly Electrodeposit Films Formed at Various Current Density Conditions in Natural Seawater, Journal of Korea Institute of Surface Engineering, 37(5), 253-262.
- Lee, M. H., and Ryu, H. J. (2004), Surface Coating Method of Environment-Friendly Calcareous Deposit formed in Natural Seawater, Fourth International Symposium on Biomimetic Materials Processing, 4, 94.
- Oh, B. H., Um, J. Y., and Kwon, J. H. (1992), An Experimental Study on Corrosion Resistance of Epoxy Coated Reinforcements, Journal of the Korea Concrete Institute, 4(4), 161-170.
- Park, S. S., Kown, S. J., and Jung, S. H. (2012), Analysis technique for chloride penetration in cracked concrete using equivalent diffusion and permeation. Construction and Building Materials, 29, 183-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.09.019
- Sakurada, S., Irie H., and Yoshida, Y. (2008), Development of Reinforced Concrete Corrosion Amount Presumption Method by Ultrasonic Method, 17th World Conference on Nondestructive Testing, Shanghai, China, 1-6.
- Seo, D. W., Park, K. T., You, Y. J., and Kim, H. Y. (2013), Enhancement in Elastic Modulus of GFRP Bars by Material Hybridization, Engineering, 5, 685-869. https://doi.org/10.4236/eng.2013.58081
- Song, H. W., Back, S. J., Lee C. H. and Kwon, S. J. (2006(a)), Service life prediction of concrete structures under marine environment considering coupled deterioration, Restoration of Buildings and Monuments, 12(4), 265-284.
- Song, H. W., Kwon, S. J., Byun, K. J., and Park, C. K. (2006(b)), Predicting carbonation in early-aged cracked concrete, Cement and Concrete Research, 26(5), 979-989.
Grant : FRP Hybrid Bar를 활용한 해양항만구조물 수명향상기술 개발
Supported by : 한국건설기술연구원