- Volume 41 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Development of a Hopper-Type Planting Device for a Walk-Behind Hand-Tractor-Powered Vegetable Transplanter
Dihingia, Pramod Chandra;Prasanna Kumar, G.V.;Sarma, Pallab Kumar
- Received : 2016.01.13
- Accepted : 2016.02.16
- Published : 2016.03.01
Purpose: In order to ensure that vegetable seedlings (with a soil block around their roots) are planted in an upright orientation after metering in a vegetable transplanter, they need to be dropped freely from a certain height. The walk-behind hand-tractor-powered machines do not have sufficient space to drop the seedlings from that height. In the present work, a hopper-type planting device was developed for the walk-behind hand-tractor-powered vegetable transplanter to ensure that the soil block seedlings are planted in an upright orientation. Methods: Various dimensionless terms were developed based on the dimensional analysis approach, and their effect on the planting of soil block seedlings in an upright orientation (planting efficiency) was studied. The optimum design dimensions of the hopper-type planting device were identified by the Taguchi method of optimization. Results: The ratio of the height of free fall to the sliding distance of the seedling on the surface of the hopper had the highest influence on planting efficiency. The planting efficiency was highest for plants with a height
Dimensional analysis;Hand tractor;Planting device;Planting efficiency;Taguchi method;Vegetable transplanter
- Choi, W. C., D. C. Kim, I. H. Ryu and K. U. Kim. 2002. Development of a seedling pick-up device for vegetable transplanters. Transactions of American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers 45(1):13-19.
- Feng, D., W. Geng and D. Zunyuan. 2000. Study on block seedling transplanter with belt feeding mechanism. Transactions of Chinese Society of Agricultural Machinery 31(2):42-45.
- Harrison, R., D. Harrison and P. B. Zuhoski Jr. 1990. Computer operated automatic seedling plant transplanting machine. United States Patent application 4947579, 14 Aug.
- Kim, H. J., S. H. Park and T. Y. Kwak. 2001. Development of an automatic transplanter for cabbage cultivation. Seoul, Korea: Korea Automatic Dynamic Analysis of Mechanical Systems Conference, 8-9 Nov.
- Kumar, G. V. P. and H. Raheman. 2008. Vegetable transplanters for use in developing countries-a review. International Journal of Vegetable Science 14(3):232-255. https://doi.org/10.1080/19315260802164921
- Kumar, G. V. P. and H. Raheman. 2011. Development of a walk-behind type hand tractor powered vegetable transplanter for paper pot seedlings. Biosystems Engineering 110:189-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystemseng.2011.08.001
- Langhaar, H. L. 1980. Dimensional analysis and theory of models. New York: Krieger Pub. Co.
- Manes, G. S., A. K. Dixit, A. Sharda, S. Singh and K. Singh. 2010. Development and evaluation of tractor operated vegetable transplanter. Agricultural Mechanization in Asia Africa and Latin America 41(3):89-92.
- Mohanty, D. K., M. Mahapatra and D. Behera. 2015. Effect of selected parameters on tray angle for smooth dropping of seedlings in semi-automatic vegetable transplanter. Agricultural Engineering 1:41-49.
- Munilla, R. D. and L. N. Shaw. 1987. A high speed dibbling transplanter. Transactions of American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers 30(4):904-908. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.30496
- Nandede, B. M., R. Kumar and D. Padhee. 2013. Evaluation of multistage automatic vegetable transplanter (MAVT) for pot seedlings of tomato. BIOINFOLET-A Quarterly Journal of Life Sciences 10(1b):193-195.
- Narang, M. K., I. S. Dhaliwal and G. S. Manes. 2011. Development and evaluation of a two row revolving magazine type vegetable transplanter. Journal of Agricultural Engineering 48(3):1-7.
- Parish, R. L. 2005. Current developments in seeders and planters for vegetable crops. HortTechnology 15(2):1-6.
- Park, S. H., J. Y. Kim, D. K. Choi, C. K. Kim, T. Y. Kwak and S. C. Cho. 2005. Development of walking type Chinese cabbage transplanter. Journal of the Korea Society for Agricultural Machinery 30(2):80-81.
- PAU. 2004. Report of the all India coordinated research project on farm implements and machinery. Ludhian, India: Punjab Agricultural University.
- Phadke, M. S. 2009. Quality engineering using robust design (2nd ed.). London: Pearson.
- Ross, P. J. 1998. Taguchi technique for quality engineering. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Roy, R. K. 2001. Design of experiments using the Taguchi approach: 16 steps to product and process improvement. New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Russo, V. M. 2006. Biological amendment, fertiliser rate and irrigation frequency for organic bell pepper transplant production. HortScience 41:1402-1407.
- Satpathy, S. K. and I. K. Garg. 2008. Effect of selected parameters on the performance of a semi-automatic vegetable transplanter. Agricultural Mechanization in Asia, Africa and Latin America 39(2):47-51.
- Singh, B., H. L. Yadav, M. Kumar and N. P. S. Sirohi. 2005. Effect of plastic plug-tray cell size and shape on quality of soilless media grown tomato seedlings. Acta Horticulturae 742:57-60.
- Singh, S. 2008. Research highlights. All India coordinated research project on farm implements and machinery. Bhopal, India: Central Institute of Agricultural Engineering.
- Sivakumar, S. and C. D. Durairaj. 2014. Development of a gravity fed automatic vegetable transplanter. International Journal of Agricultural Engineering 7(1):177-179.
- Srivastava, A. K., C. E. Goering, R. P. Rohrbach and D. R. Buckmaster. 2006. Engineering Principles of agricultural machines. St. Joseph: American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.
- Hand-Fed Vegetable Transplanter for Use with a Walk-Behind-Type Hand Tractor 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/19315260.2017.1413477