- Volume 41 Issue 1
Purpose: This study was performed to improve the drying quality and drying rate of ginseng slices by combining microwave and far-infrared drying techniques. Methods: Based on single-factor experiments and analyses, a quadratic regression orthogonal rotation combination design was adopted to study the effects of the moisture content at the conversion point between the microwave and far-infrared techniques, the ginseng slice thickness and the far-infrared drying temperature on the chip drying time, the surface color difference value, the nutritional composition and the surface shrinkage rate index. Results: Compared to the far-infrared drying alone, the combined microwave and far-infrared drying resulted in an increase in the saponin content of the ginseng slices and reductions in the drying time, surface color difference, and shrinkage rate. Conclusions: We established a mathematical model of the relationships between the surface shrinkage rate index and the experimental factors using the multi-objective nonlinear optimization method to determine the optimal parameter combination, which was confirmed to be the following: microwave and far-infrared moisture contents of 65%, a ginseng slice thickness of 1 mm, and a far-infrared drying temperature of
Combined process;Drying characteristics;Far-infrared;Ginseng;Microwave
- Figiel, A. 2001. Drying Kinetics and Quality of Beetroots Dehydrated by Combination of Convective and Vacuummicrowave methods. Journal of Food Engineering 49: 311-319 (In English). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(00)00228-4
- Guo, S. G. 2012. Experimental Study on Vacuum Freeze Drying Ginseng Process. [PhD thesis]. Shenyang Agricultural University. Shenyang, China (In Chinese).
- Li, Y. Y. and C. R. Hu. 2004. Experimental Design and Data Processing. Publisher of Chemical Industry 196-197 (In Chinese).
- Li, Y. Y. and C. R. Hu. 2004. Experimental Design and Data Processing. Publisher of Chemical Industry 122-136.
- Liu, Y. Z. and E. X. Du. 1994. Ginseng Processing Technology. Research on Ginseng 01:39-40 (In Chinese).
- Maskan, M. 2001. Drying Shrinkage and Rehydration Characteristics of Kiwifruits During Hot air and Microwave Drying. Journal of Food Engineering 48: 177-182 (In English). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(00)00155-2
- Feng, H. C. 1986. Ginseng. Publisher of Science Population 3:121-122 (In Chinese).
- Feng, H. C. 1996. Ginseng. Publisher of Science Population 01:189-190 (In Chinese).
- National Science and Technology Committee compiled data compilation of ginseng. 1979. Compilation of National Ginseng Scientific and Technological Data (II) 01:154-191 (In English).
- Wang, J., S. X. Jiang, H. L. Jin and N. Z. Xv. 1999. Experimental Study of Yellow Peach Using Combined Microwave and Far-Infrared Drying. Journal of Zhejiang Agricultural University 01:27-29 (In Chinese).
- Xu, Y. Y., M. Zhang and D. Y. Tu. 2005. A Two-stage Convective Air and Vacuum Freeze-drying Technique for Bamboo Shoots. International Journal of Food Science and Technology 40:589-595 (In Chinese). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2005.00956.x
- Xv, C. H. and C. Q. Li. 1994. Study on Vacuum Freeze Drying of Ginseng. Vacuum 1:6-11 (In Chinese).
- Xv, J., L. Jia and Y. Q. Zhao. 2011. Constituents of Ginseng and Quality Evaluation of Ginseng Products. Drug Evaluation Research 03:199-203 (In Chinese).
- Yan, X. H. 2007. Experimental Study on Microwave Vacuum Drying Ginseng Process Characteristics and Device. [M.A. thesis]. Chinese Academy of Agricultural Mechanization Sciences. Beijing, China (In Chinese).
- Zhang, G. C., H. Z. Mao and C. X. Mou. 2005. Study on the Microwave Vacuum and Drying Fan Shell Column with Hot Air. Journal of Agricultural Engineering 21: 144-147 (In Chinese).
- Zhang, J. T. 2009. Latest Progress of Research on Ginseng. Journal of Jiangsu University (Medical Edition) 03: 185-191 (In Chinese).
- Zhu, W. Y. 1981. Optimal Design Theory and Application. Publisher of Liao Ning People 146-243 (In Chinese).
- Zhu, Z. L., J. Fan and X. S. Gao. 2002. Study on Microwave Drying to Bracken. Journal of Yunnan Agricultural University 17:264-268 (In Chinese).