- Volume 35 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Science based Enrichment STEAM Gifted Program on Creative Thinking Activities and Emotional Intelligence of Elementary Science Gifted Students
과학기반 심화융합영재 프로그램이 초등 과학영재의 창의적 사고활동과 정서지능에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.11.30
- Accepted : 2015.12.29
- Published : 2016.02.29
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of science based enrichment STEAM gifted program on the creative thinking activities and emotional intelligence of elementary science gifted students. The study subjects were two science gifted classes of the 5th grade of local Office of Education in B Metropolitan City. One class including 20 students was experimental group and the other including 20 students was comparison group. For the purpose of study, the lesson unit 'The world of light through science' was practised, the science based enrichment STEAM gifted program was applied to experimental group, whereas comparison group was taught traditional gifted lesson. The results of this study were as follows. First, science based enrichment STEAM gifted program influenced significantly the improvement of the creative thinking activities of elementary science gifted students. Second, science based enrichment STEAM gifted program was showed to enhance the emotional intelligence of elementary science gifted students significantly.
science based enrichment STEAM gifted program;creative thinking activities;emotional intelligence;elementary science gifted students
- Ann, H. (2015). Analysis of research trends in STEAM education for the gifted. M. D. Thesis, Graduate School of Education, Ajou University.
- Choi, J. (2013). The effect of using the STEAM teaching ․learning program on the attitudes of gifted elementary science students. M. D. Thesis, Graduate School of Education Konkuk University.
- Choi, J. M. (2015). The effects of the STEAM education program on the science creative problem solving ability and scientific learning interest of gifted and non-gifted elementary school students. M. D. Thesis, Daegu National University of Education.
- Dearborn, K. (2002). Studies in emotional intelligence redefine our approach to leadership development. Public Personal Management, 31(4), 523-530. https://doi.org/10.1177/009102600203100408
- Gabriel, Y. & Griffiths, D. (2002). Emotion, learning, and organizing. Learning Organization, 9(5), 214-221. https://doi.org/10.1108/09696470210442169
- Kang, H. S. & Seo, H. A. (2013). The development and application of a life science based ATEAM program for middle school science gifted students. Journal of Science Education for the Gifted, 5(3), 162-173.
- Kim, A. (2014). The effects of the understanding of others-centered STEAM on the elementary student's care. M. D. Thesis, Gyeongin National University of Education.
- Kim, G. & Choi, S. (2012). The effects of the sciencebased STEAM program on the creative problem solving and scientific attitude in the elementary gifted students. The Korean Society of Elementary Science Education, 31(2), 216-226.
- Kim, J. (2012). STEAM education, Seoul: Yangseowon Publishing Co.
- Ko, Y. (2012). A study on teaching-learning materials development for STEAM. M. D. Thesis, Jeju National University.
- Lee, S. Y. & Lee, H, C. (2013). The effects of science lesson applying STEAM education on the creativity and science related attitudes of elementary school students. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 32(1), 60-70.
- Lee, W. S. (2007). The effects of science classes by application of creative thought techniques on elementary school children's creativity. M. D. Thesis, Daegu National University of Education.
- Ministry of Education (2011). Republic of Korea in the future open the window talent and advanced science and technology. Business report.
- Moon, Y. (1998). A study of the developing the program on elementary students' emotional intelligence. Educational Administration Training Institute affiliated with a College of Education at Seoul Nat'l Univ.
- Park, H. (2012). Effects of science lesson applying STEAM education on self-efficacy, interest, and attitude towards science. M. D. Thesis, Gyeongin National University of Education.
- Park, J. (2013). Effect of STEAM program development and application for gifted students. M. D. Thesis, Graduate School of Education Incheon National University.
- Park, S. (2011). A study of the creative problem solving process of science gifted students according to their creative type and the factors affecting the creative products. Ph D. Thesis, Kyungpook National University.
- Petrides & Furnham (2001). Trait emotional intelligence: Psychometric investigation with reference to established trait taxonomies. European Journal of Personality, 15, 425-448. https://doi.org/10.1002/per.416
- Ryu, J. (2012). The effects of brain based STEAM education on creativity and emotional intelligence of the science gifted elementary students and elementary general students. M. D. Thesis, Korea National University of Education.
- Salovey, P. & Mayer, J. D. (1997). What is emotional intelligence? In P. Salovey, & D. J. Sluter (Eds.), Emotional development and emotional intelligence: educational implication. New York: Basic books.
- Seo, G. (2013). Development of science-based STEAM program for improving the scientific creativity and attitudes of gifted elementary student about science and application. M. D. Thesis, Graduate School of Education Changwon National University.
- Seo, Y. (2012). A study on the 3rd gifted and talented education development master plan. Report CR2012-37. Korea Educational Development Institute.
- Shin, Y. J. & Han, S. K. (2011). A study of the elementary school teachers' perception in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, mathematics) education. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 30(4), 514-523.