- Volume 35 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Examining Elementary School Students' Awareness about Socio-scientific Issues and Solutions about Environmental Topics by Using Their Drawings
이미지 분석을 통한 초등학생들의 환경 관련 사회적 문제(SSI)와 해결방법에 대한 인식조사
- Received : 2016.02.05
- Accepted : 2016.02.26
- Published : 2016.02.29
The purpose of this study was to investigate elementary school students' awareness about socio-scientific issues and solutions about environmental topics by using their drawings. For this study, 489 students were participated in 3 provincial regions, Incheon, Dangjin and Pohang in Korea. The students participated in a drawing activity to express their ideas of the socio-scientific issues and solutions related to 'environmental problems.' The analysis of the data include that the students displayed most awareness towards air pollution, water pollution and trash problems. However, the global environmental problems such as global warming and climate change were perceived very low. The interesting thing was about 8% of the students, who drew global environmental problems, tried to explain their drawings using scientific knowledge. But they revealed misconceptions as well. For instance, they were not good at connecting their science knowledge with environmental problems. About 80% of the students drew the pictures, showing solutions in personal context. They mainly drew 3 kinds of solutions: 'Reduce trash', 'Preserve ecosystem' and 'Saving of resources & energy'. Most students suggested to administrate the action plans. About 19% of the students drew 'campaign to save the forest' or 'develop alternative energy' in social context. And only 1 student drew UN conference to solve the environmental problems in national context.
socio-scientific issues;drawing analysis;children's awarness;enviromental problems
- Bowker, R. (2007). Children's perceptions and learning about tropical rainforests: An analysis of their drawings. Environmental Education Research, 13(1), 75-96. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504620601122731
- Cheong, C. (2011). Middle school students' perceptions about global environmental problems using drawings. Korean Journal of Environmental Education, 24(1), 76-87.
- Choi, D. (2013). A comparative study on elementary science curriculum and textbooks of Korea and United States. Elementary Education Research Center, 24(2), 151-166.
- Chung, Y., Mun, K. & Kim, S. (2010). Exploration of socioscientific issues(SSI) in the science textbook. The Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 10(3), 435-456.
- Jang, J., Mun, J., Rye, H., Choi, K., Krajcik, J. & Kim, S. (2012). Korean middle school students' perceptions as global citizens of socioscientific issues. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 32(7), 1124-1139. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.7.1124
- Joo, Y., Kim, K. & Noh, T. (2008). An investigation on high school students' perceptions of environmental scientists and their work by using the draw-an-environmental-scientist-test. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 28(5), 453-463.
- Ju, E., Lee, S. & Kim, J. & Lee, J. (2009). Analysis of images of scientists and science learning drawn by third grade students. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 28(1), 35-45.
- Kim, J. & Lee, D. (2010). Middle school students' perception of environment problem. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 2010(12), 120-128.
- Kim, K. (1997). Drawing activity for after reading [그림 그리기로 하는 독후 활동]. Elementary Uri Education, 112-115.
- Kim, L., Ha, E. & Song, J. (2010). The development of science culture indicators for socio-scientific issues: Focusing on climate change. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 30(4), 472-486.
- Kim, M. & Cheong, C. (2007). The study for middle school students' environmental awareness with drawing activity about environment. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 16(4), 479-485. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2007.16.4.479
- Kim, M. (2007). Investigating sixth graders' understandings of science-technology-society-the environment (STSE) relationship and challenges of STSE teaching. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 26(3), 309-320.
- Kown, E. & Hong, S. (2012). Elementary students' environmental perception according to residence and grade appeared through drawing activities and associated words about environment. Korean Journal of Environmental Education, 2012(7), 213-215.
- Lee, H. (2008). Decision-making patterns of pre-service science teachers on socioscientific issues. Journal of Research in Curriculum Instruction, 12(2), 377-395. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2008.12.2.377
- Lee, H., Choi, Y. & Ko, Y. (2014). Designing collective intelligence-based instructional models for teaching socioscientific issues. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 34(6), 523-534. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2014.34.6.0523
- Lee, J., Kim, H., Ju, E. & Lee, S. (2009). The relationship between students' images of science and science learning and their science career choices. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 29(8), 934-950.
- Lee, Y. J. (2015). Examining elementary school students' awareness about socio-scientific issues and solutions by using drawings. Master thesis, Seoul National University of Education.
- Lim, Y. & Shin, Y. (2014). An analysis of students' difficulty on science stories in elementary school science textbooks - Focusing on 6th grade science. Journal of Science Education, 38(3), 525-542. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2014.38.3.525
- Ministry of Education (2014). 2015 General studies of integrated curriculum highlights. Ministry of Education.
- Sadler, T. D. & Zeidler, D. L. (2009). Scientific literacy, PISA, and socioscientific discourse: Assessment for progressive aims of science education. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 46(8), 909-921. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.20327
- Sadler, T. D. (2002). Socioscientific issues and the affective domain: Scientific literacy's missing link.
- Shepardson, D. P. (2005). Student ideas: What is an environment?. Journal of Environmental Education, 36(4), 49.
- Tal, T. & Kedmi, Y. (2006). Teaching socioscientific issues: Classroom culture and students' performances. Cultural Studies of Science Education, 1(4), 615-644.
- United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP). (2007). Global environmental outlook - 4. United Nations Envionmental Programme.
- Wee, S. & Lim, S. (2013). Awareness and eductional needs concerning ssi of Korean pre-service elementary teachers related to nuclear power plant accident. Journal of Science Education, 37(2), 294-309. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2013.37.2.294
- Wee, S., Yoon, J. & Lim, S. (2014). An analysis on argumentation structure development of preservice teachers through argumentative writing on earth science related SSI. Journal of the Korean Society of Earth Science Education, 7(1), 11-23. https://doi.org/10.15523/JKSESE.2014.7.1.011
- Yager, R. E. (Ed.). (1996). Science/technology/society as reform in science education. SUNY Press.
- Yang, J., Kim, H., Gao, L, Kim, E., Kim, S. & Lee, H. (2012). Perceptions of science teachers on socioscientific issues as an instructional tool for creativity and character education. Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 32(1), 113-128. https://doi.org/10.14697/jkase.2012.32.1.113
- Zeidler, D. L. & Nichols, B. H. (2009). Socioscientific issues: Theory and practice. Journal of Elementary Science Education, 21(2), 49-58. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03173684
- Zeidler, D. L. (1984). Moral issues and social policy in science education: Closing the literacy gap. Science Education, 68(4), 411-419. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730680406
- Zeidler. D. L., Sadler. T. D., Simmons. M. L. & Howes. E. V. (2005). Beyond STS: A research-based framework for socioscientific issues education. Science Education, 89(3), 357-377. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20048
- Zohar, A. & Nemet, F. (2002). Fostering students' knowledge and argumentation skills through dilemmas in human genetics. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 39(1), 35-62. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.10008