- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Photoneutron During Radiation Therapy when Using Flattening Filter and Tracking Jaw with High Energy X-ray
고 에너지 X선 방사선치료 시 Flattening Filter와 Tracking Jaw 사용에 따른 광중성자 발생 평가
Park, Euntae;Jin, Seongjin;Park, Cheolwoo
- Received : 2016.02.11
- Accepted : 2016.02.29
- Published : 2016.02.29
Radiation therapy is usually using linear accelerator and used X-ray energy is also getting higher. Recently linear accelerators has been developed 3F mode and tracking jaw technology and that was applied for patient therapy. This study aims at measuring photoneutrons depending on the use of 3F and tracking jaw system when radiation is irradiated using a linear accelerator. The generation of photoneutrons of 3F system was 70% smaller than 2F system and that of tracking jaw system was 83% higher than static jaw system. Photoneutron value is relatively low. However, it must be minimized for Photoneutron exposure during radiation therapy.
Linear accelerator;Flattening filter free;Tracking jaw;Photoneutron
- J. Thariat, J. M. Hannoun-Levi, M. A. Sun, T. Voong, J. P. Gerard, "Past, present, and future of radiotherapy for the benefit of patients," Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 52-60, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrclinonc.2012.203
- F. Bryant, "Prostate cancer and radiation therapy," Radiation Therapist Vol. 21. No. 1, pp. 29-32. 2012.
- E. T. Park, D. Y. Lee, S. J. Ko, J. H. Kim, S. S. Kang, "A Study on Photon Spectrum in Medical Linear Accelerator Based on MCNPX," Journal of the Korean Society of Radiology, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 249-254, 2014. https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2014.8.5.249
- S. S. Kang, I. H. Go, G. J. Kim, S. H. Kim, Y .S. Kim, Y .J. Kim, Radiation Therapeutics, third edition, Chung-ku munhwasa, Korea, 2014.
- E. T. Park, D. H. Lee, S. S. Kang, "Evaluation of Photoneutron by Hypofractionated Radiotherapy," Journal of The Korea Contents association, Vol. 15, No. 12, pp. 347-354, 2015.
- J. O. Lee, D. H. Jeong, J. K. Kang, "Neutron Generation from a 24 MV Medical Linac," Korean Society of Medical Physics, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 97-103, 2005.
- F. M. KHAN, "The Physics of Radiation Therapy 4/E," Williams & Wilkins. 2009.
- K. J. Olsen, "Neutron Contamination from Medical Electron Accelerators (NCRP Report No.79)," Med. Phys, Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 968-970, 1986.
- W. L. Huang, Q. F. Li, Y. Z. Lin, "Calculation of photoneurtrons produced in the targets of electrons linear accelerators radiography and radiotherapy application," Nuclear Instruments and Method in Physics Research B, Vol. 229, No. 3, pp. 339-347, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nimb.2004.12.117
- W. G. Albert, R. A. Hollnagel, "Radiation weighting factor and quality factor neutrons," Radiation Protection Dosimetry, Vol. 46, No. 4, pp. 291-293, 1993.
- C. S. Park, S. S. Shin, C. H. Lim, H. R. Jung, "A Study on the Neutron Dose Distribution in Case of 10 MV X-ray Radiotherapy," Korean society of radiological science, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 415-417, 2008.
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine, "Neutron measurement around high energy X-ray radiotherapy machine," AAPM, No.19. 1986.
- FLUKE, "Victoreen 190N Portable Neutron Survey Meter Operators Manua,l" 2005.
- NRG Onclogy RTOG 0415 "A phase III randomized study of hypofractionated 3D-CRT/IMRT versus conventionally fractionated 3D-CRT/IMRT in patients with in patients with favorable risk prostate cancer," pp. 9-15, 2014.
- D. S. Kim, J. M. Kim, H .S. Lee, R. S. Lim, Y. H. Kim, "A Study on the Neutron in Radiation Treatment System and Related Facility," The Journal Of The Korean Society for Radiation Therapy, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 141-145, 2005.
- J. S. Levinger, H. A. Bethe, "Neutron yield from the nuclear photoeffect," Phy Rev, Vol. 85, No. 4, pp. 221-222, 1952.
- F. D. Errico, R. Nath, G. Silvano, L. Tana, "In vivo neutron dosimetry during high-energy Bremsstrahlung radiotherapy," International journal of Radiation Oncol Biol Phys, Vol. 41, No. 5, pp. 1185-1192, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(98)00162-X
- J. A. Lee, S. Y. Son, J. W. Min, K. W. Choi, S. R. Na, H. W. Jeong, "Neutron dosimetry depending on the number of portals for prostate cancer IMRT(Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy)," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 3734-3740, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3734
- O. N. Yang, C. H. Lim, "Study on the Photoneutrons Produced in 15 MV Medical Linear Accelerators(Comparison of Three-Dimensional Conformal Radiot herapy and Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy)," Journal of Radiological Science and Technology, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 335-343, 2012.
- Y. Xiao, S. F. Kry, R. Popple, E, Yorke, N. Papanikolaou, S. Statakis, P. Xia, S. Huq, J. Bayouth, J. Galvin, F. F. Yin, "Flattening filter-free accelerators : a report from the AAPM Therapy emerging technology assessment work group," J of applied clinical Medical physics, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 12-29, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1120/jacmp.v16i3.5219
- Evaluation of Photon and Photoneutron Using High Energy X-ray in Radiation Therapy Room vol.10, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7742/jksr.2016.10.6.427