- Volume 40 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of the Congruity between Self-Image and Image of a Multi-Brand Store on Store Attributes and Consumer Responses
편집숍의 점포 개성과 자아이미지의 일치성이 점포 속성과 소비자 반응에 미치는 영향
Kim, Ka Hyun;Park, Minjung
- Received : 2014.12.03
- Accepted : 2015.09.21
- Published : 2016.02.29
Based on the self-congruity theory, this study investigated how congruity between multi-brand store image and consumers' self-image affect store attributes and consumer responses. A total of 331 questionnaires were used to analyze data. The results of research were: 1) 'Sophistication' as the congruity factor between store image and consumers' self-image affected 'utility', 'atmosphere', and 'design' among store attribute factors. Also, 'sincerity' influenced 'utility' as the store attribute factor. 2) 'Atmosphere' as the store attribute factor positively influenced consumers' emotional responses, and 'utility' and 'design' factors positively influenced consumers' cognitive responses. 3) Consumers' emotional responses had a positive impact on consumers' cognitive responses; in addition, consumers' emotional and cognitive responses had positive impacts on consumers' behavioral responses. 4) A-Land indicated higher scores on 'sophistication', 'atmosphere', and 'design' factors than ABC Mart. ABC Mart had shown higher scores on 'ruggedness' and 'utility' factors than A-Land. This study provides practical implications to develop effective marketing strategies to manage multi-brand stores.
Multi-brand store;Self-congruity;Store attributes;Consumer responses
- Achrol, R. S., & Kotler, P. (1999). Marketing in the network economy. Journal of Marketing, 63, 146-163. doi:10.2307/1252108 https://doi.org/10.2307/1252108
- Albers, S., Krafft, M., & Mantrala, M. (2010). Special section on enhancing sales force productivity. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 27(1), 44-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2009.12.006
- Bagozzi, R. P., Belschak, F., & Verbeke, W. (2010). The role of emotional wisdom in salespersons' relationship with colleagues and customers. Psychology & Marketing, 27(11), 1001-1031. doi:10.1002/mar.20370 https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20370
- Bigne, J. E., & Andreu, L. (2004). Emotions in segmentation: An empirical study. Annals of Tourism Research, 31(3), 682-696. doi:10.1016/j.annals.2003.12.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2003.12.018
- Choe, W. S., & Kwon, J. G. (2009). Empirical study on the effect that store brand personality and self-image congruency gets to customer attitude. A Journal of Brand Design Association of Korea, 7(2), 125-144.
- Choi, B. B. (2008). Effects of new consumer lifestyle on evolution of fashion multi-shop. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Fournier, S. (1998). Consumer and their brands: Developing relationship theory in consumer research. Journal of Consumer Research, 24(4), 343-373. doi:10.1086/209515 https://doi.org/10.1086/209515
- Ham, M. J. (2014, June 25). 에이랜드, 명동점 숨겨진 비밀은? [A-Land, What's the hidden secret in the store of Myungdong?] Fashionbiz. Retrieved September 12, 2014, from http://www.fashionbiz.co.kr/TN/?cate=2&recom=2&idx=140595
- Hirschman, E. C. (1978). A descriptive theory of retail market structure. Journal of Retailing, 54(4), 29-48.
- Aaker, J. L. (1997). Dimensions of brand personality. Journal of Market Research, 34(3), 347-356. doi:10.2307/3151897 https://doi.org/10.2307/3151897
- Aaker, J. L. (1999). The malleable self: The role of self-expression in persuasion. Journal of Marketing Research, 36(1), 45-57. doi:10.2307/3151914 https://doi.org/10.2307/3151914
- Hong, K. H. (2002). The influence of shopping motives and service quality perception on customers' emotional responses and fashion store satisfaction. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 26(2), 216-226.
- Jeong, H. S., & Kim, Y. S. (2003). The effects of consumer's store image and brand image, and instore emotions on postpurchase emotions and satisfaction. Journal of Marketing Management Research, 8(3), 1-28.
- Ji, S. G., & Lee, H. J. (2006). In-store customers' emotional responses: Antecedents and consequences. Korea Research Academy of Distribution and Management Reciew, 9(3), 43-69.
- Jones, M. A., & Reynolds, K. E. (2005). The role of retailer interest on shopping behavior. Journal of Retailing, 82(2), 115-126. doi:10.1016/j.jretai.2005.05.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2005.05.001
- Kim, H. S. (2011). Study on store identity based on the consumer segmentation analysis of imported apparel brand-Focused on the traditional casual brand in domestic department stores-. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Wonju.
- Kim, H. S. (2013, March 12). 백화점 편집매장, 만물상처럼 바뀌네 [Department store change as the general market]. Economy dongA.com. Retrieved April 2, 2014, from http://economy.donga.com/3/all/20130312/53626509/3
- Kim, J. Y., & Lee, E. Y. (2004). The influence of service quality, product quality, price on store patronage for apparel stores. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 28(1), 12-21.
- Kim, N. (2001). A study on the characteristics of the multishop in fusion era. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Wonju.
- Kim, S. Y. (2010). Classifications of Korean fashion multibrand stores and their strategic directions. Unpublished master's thesis, Konkuk University, Seoul.
- Kim, T. H. (2008, October 13). 패션유통시장의 新트렌드 [New trend of fashion retailing]. Korea Investors Service. Retrieved September 12, 2014, from http://www.kisrating.com/research/totalsearch.asp
- Ko, A. R., & Jin, B. (1995). A study on the shopping orientations, importance of store attributes and use of information sources for outlet store patronage consumers. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 19(1), 104-114.
- Korea Fashion Association. (2012, May 23). 편집숍 열풍, 슈즈 멀티숍이 이끈다 [Fever of multi-brand store, is led by shoes stores]. KFA. Retrieved March 5, 2014, from http://www.koreafashion.org/_Html/information/fa_news_view.asp?cataIdx=104&boardId=fsNews&clientIdx=11270&num=5980&pageNum=564&SrchItem=&SrchWord
- Kwon, S. K., Chang, D. R., & Kim, T. S. (2010). A study on the identity of integrated brand of high-teen fashion multishop: Focusing on the case of 'Cool Casual' development in Lotte Department Store. Journal of Korean Society of Design Science, 23(5), 91-102.
- Lee, H. J., & Park, E. J. (2000). Effects of the purchasing situation in store on apparel purchasing behavior according to the shopping motivation. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 8(3), 349-359.
- Lee, J. E. (1999). A study of the effect of consumer characteristics and store attributes on store choice process. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lee, J. S. (2008). A study on the store patronizing behaviors of the customers of domestic imported fashion multi-shops. Unpublished master's thesis, Dongduk Women's University, Seoul.
- Lee, K. Y., Baek, J. H., & Park, K. D. (2010). Effects of consumers' experience of brand shop on brand equity. Korean Journal of Communication Studies, 18(2), 83-104.
- Lee, S. H., & Jo, S. (2007). The effects of multi-shop's store image on the store loyalty and brand switching behavior. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 45 (1), 51-61.
- Lim, N. R. (2012, July). 21세기의 디자인, 소비자, 유통 구조를 변화시킨 편집매장 [Multi-brand store that changed the design, consumer, and distribution structure in the 21st century]. Designhouse. Retrieved July 12, 2014, from http://mdesign.designhouse.co.kr/article/article_view/102/60301?per_page=46&sch_txt=
- Lyu, M. S. (2013). A qualitative study on the store attributes of duty free stores in Korea. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 13(3), 19-37.
- Martineau, P. (1958). The personality of the retail store. Harvard Business Review, 36(1), 47-55.
- Mehrabian, A., & Russell, J. A. (1974). An approach to environmental psychology. Cambridge, MA: The Mit Press.
- Na, Y. K., & Oh, W. G. (2010). A study on fashion store attributes and brand equity according to lifestyle and brand type. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 10(3), 97-114.
- Nunnally, J. C. (1978). Psychometric theory (2nd ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Oh, H., Fiore, A. M., & Jeoung, M. (2007). Measuring experience economy concepts: Tourism applications. Journal of Travel Research, 46(2), 119-132. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287507304039
- Oh, J. (2009). The study of luxury fashion multi-label store's marketing strategies-focusing on women's luxury goods-. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Park, E. J., & So, G., S. (2000). Effects of affective factors on apparel buying behaviors. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 24(3), 361-372.
- Park, H. Y., & Jung, G. O. (2010). A study on the influence of store attribute and store personality on store selection: Focusing on the moderating effect of shopping value and prior knowledge. Journal of Marketing Management Research, 15(1), 139-166.
- Park, J. O., & Lee, E. K. (2005). Cognitive, emotional and behavioral responses on in-store shopping environment according to apparel shopping orientation. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 29(8), 1196-1206.
- Park, M. (2000). The effects of brand personality, self-image and perceived brand quality on brand attitude: Case of net generation. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Park, M., & Lee, S. E. (2009). The effect of VMD image appropriateness on consumers' affective, cognitive, and cognitive responses-Testing models based on the emotion-cognition theory and the cognitive theory of emotions-. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 17(3), 459-471. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2009.17.3.459
- Peter, J. P., & Olson, J. C. (1996). Consumer behavior and marketing strategy (4th ed.). Chicago, IL: Irwin.
- Richins, M. L. (2011). Materialism, transformation expectations, and spending: Implications for credit use. Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 30(2), 141-156. doi:10.1509/jppm.30.2.141 https://doi.org/10.1509/jppm.30.2.141
- Russell, J. A., & Pratt, G. (1980). A description of affective quality attributed to environments. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 38(2), 311-322. doi:10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1991 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.521
- Shim, S., & Kotsiopulos, A. (1992). Patronage behavior of apparel shopping: Part I. Shopping orientations, store attributes, information sources, and personal characteristics. Clothing & Textile Research Journal, 10(2), 48-57. https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X9201000208
- Shin, H. J. (2011, December). 패션산업 동향 [Fashion industry trends]. Korea Federation of Textile Industries. Retrieved October 26, 2013, from http://www.kofoti.or.kr/bbs/data/111212_data_22.pdf
- Shin, J. K., & Kong, H. K. (2005). The effects of store image on private brand image and purchase intentions-Comparison of national distributors with local distributors in Pusan-. Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science, 15(2), 49-69.
- Shin, J. K., Park, M. S., Oh, M. O., & Heo, J. (2013). A study on the effects of store attribute and store personality of SPA brand on store attitude. Journal of Marketing Studies, 21(2), 23-44.
- Sirgy, M. J. (1982). Self-concept in consumer behavior: A critical review. Journal of Consumer Research, 9(3), 287-300. https://doi.org/10.1086/208924
- Sirgy, M. J., Grewal, D., & Mangleburg, T. (2000). Retail environment, self-congruity, and retail patronage: An integrative model and a research agenda. Journal of Business Research, 49(2), 127-138. doi:10.1016/S0148-2963(99)00009-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(99)00009-0
- Yi, W. H., Kim, S. O., Lee, S. Y., & Youn, M. G. (2012). Study on the effects of shop choice properties on brand attitudes: Focus on six major coffee shop brands. Journal of Distribution Science, 10(3), 51-61. https://doi.org/10.15722/jds.10.3.201203.51
- Yi, Y., & La, S. (2002). Brand personality-brand identificationbrand equity model: An exploratory study on the difference between users vs. non-users. Korean Marketing Review, 17(3), 1-32.
- Contemporary dandies: The behavioral characteristics of Korean male consumers in fashion multi-brand stores and tailor shops vol.74, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2016.10.027