- Volume 40 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Other Customer Perceptions on Male Customers' Store Attitude and Behavioral Response in Fashion Store
남성 소비자의 패션 점포 내 다른 고객 특성 지각이 점포 태도와 행동에 미치는 영향
Kim, Boram;Lee, Yuri;Kim, Yunjeong
- Received : 2015.04.10
- Accepted : 2015.09.02
- Published : 2016.02.29
This study analyzed the influence of other customers' perception (similarity, physical attraction, and suitable behavior) of the fashion retail environment on male customers' store attitude and behavioral response. In addition, comparing the effect of store type, this study comprehensively provides the effect of other customers' perception in fashion retailing. In order to investigate research questions, an online survey was conducted and 220 responses were analyzed using AMOS 18.0. The results of this research were as follow. First, the dimensions of physical attraction and suitable behavior of other customers influenced toward target customer's fashion store attitude. Second, the effect of store attitude towards the perceiver's behavioral response was proven. Third, customers established their store attitude by other customers' physical attraction in luxury stores, while others' behavior was meaningful in SPA store. Fourth, other customer's similarity dimension did not influence the male customers' store attitude. This study contributes to a comprehensive understanding of other customer's effect in fashion stores by examining different store types. In addition, managers may establish a customer portfolio strategy and training based on this research.
Fashion store;Male customer;Other customer perceptions;Store attitude;Behavioral response
- Tombs, A., & McColl-Kennedy, J. R. (2003). Social-servicescape conceptual model. Marketing Theory, 3(4), 447-475. doi:10.1177/1470593103040785 https://doi.org/10.1177/1470593103040785
- Venkatesh, V., & Morris, M. G. (2000). Why don't men ever stop to ask for directions? Gender, social influence, and their role in technology acceptance and usage behavior. MIS Quarterly, 24(1), 115-139. doi:10.2307/3250981 https://doi.org/10.2307/3250981
- Verhoef, P. C., Lemon, K. N., Parasuraman, A., Roggenveen, A., Tsiros, M., & Schlesinger, L. A. (2009). Customer experience creation: Determinants, dynamics and management strategies. Journal of Retailing, 85(1), 31-41. doi:10.1016/j.jretai.2008.11.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2008.11.001
- Yu, J. P. (2013). 우종필 교수의 구조방정식모델 개념과 이해 [Yu Jong Pil Professor's structural equation model concept and understanding]. Seoul: Hannaraea Publishing Co.
- Zajonc, R. B. (2001). Mere exposure: A gateway to the subliminal. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 10(6), 224-228. doi:10.1111/1467-8721.00154 https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8721.00154
- Argo, J. J., Dahl, D. W., & Manchanda, R. V. (2005). The influence of a mere social presence in a retail context. Journal of Consumer Research, 32(2), 207-212. doi:10.1086/432230 https://doi.org/10.1086/432230
- Argo, J. J., & Main, K. J. (2008). Stigma by association in coupon redemption: Looking cheap because of others. Journal of Consumer Research, 35(4), 559-572. doi:10.1086/591102 https://doi.org/10.1086/591102
- Bae, B. R. (2009). Structural equation modeling with Amos 17.0 -Principles and practice-(2nd ed.). Seoul: CRBooks.
- Baker, J. (1986). The role of the environment in marketing services: The consumer perspective. In J. A. Czepiel, C. Congram, & J. Shanahan (Eds.), The service challenge: Integrating for competitive advantage (pp. 79-84). Chicago, IL: American Marketing Association.
- Bang, J. H., Kang, S. R., & Kim, M. S. (2011). Study on the factors which affect consumers' purchasing luxury products online-Based on attitude function-. Korea Research Academy of Distribution and Management Review, 14(1), 5-28.
- Bearden, W. O., & Etzel, M. J. (1982). Reference group influence on product and brand purchase decisions. Journal of Consumer Research, 9(2), 183-194. https://doi.org/10.1086/208911
- Bennett, R., & Rundle-Thiele, S. (2002). A comparison of attitudinal loyalty measurement approaches. Journal of Brand Management, 9(3), 193-209. doi:10.1057/palgrave.bm.2540069 https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.bm.2540069
- Bitner, M. J. (1990). Evaluating service encounters: The effects of physical surroundings and employee responses. Journal of Marketing, 54(2), 69-82. doi:10.2307/1251871 https://doi.org/10.2307/1251871
- Ahn, K. H., & Lee, H. N. (2011). The effect of perceived shopping value dimensions on attitude toward store, emotional response to store shopping, and store loyalty. Asia Marketing Journal, 12(4), 137-164.
- Ajzen, I., & Fishbein, M. (1977). Attitude-behavior relations: A theoretical analysis and review of empirical research. Psychological Bulletin, 84(5), 888-918. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.84.5.888
- Booms, B. H., & Bitner, M. J. (1981). Marketing strategies and organization structures for service firms. Marketing of Services, 25(3), 47-51.
- Brocato, E. D., Voorhees, C. M., & Baker, J. (2012). Understanding the influence of cues from other customers in the service experience: A scale development and validation. Journal of Retailing, 88(3), 384-398. doi:10.1016/j.jretail.2012.01.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2012.01.006
- Bruce, M., Moore, C., & Birtwistle, G. (2004). International retail marketing: A case study approach. London: Routledge.
- Buss, D. M. (1985). Human mate selection: Opposites are sometimes said to attract, but in fact we are likely to marry someone who is similar to us in almost every variable. American Scientist, 73(1), 47-51.
- Buunk, A. P., & Dijkstra, P. (2011). Does attractiveness sell? women's attitude toward a product as a function of model attractiveness, gender priming, and social comparison orientation. Psychology & Marketing, 28(9), 958-973. doi:101002/mar.20421 https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20421
- Byrne, D. (1961). Interpersonal attraction and attitude similarity. The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 62(3), 713-715. doi:10.1037/h0044721 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0044721
- Byrne, D. (1971). The attraction paradigm. New York, NY: Academic Press.
- Cho, J. N. (2015, February 9). 맨플루언서 뜻, 영향력 있는 남성소비자 지칭 [Manfluencer, male consumers who have spending power]. SegyeIlbo. Retrieved March 12, 2015, from http://www.segye.com/content/html/2015/02/08/20150208003024.html?OutUrl=naver
- Choo, H. J. (1998). Effects of satisfaction of in-store shopping environment on customers' attitude toward store. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Clark, T., & Martin, C. L. (1994). Customer-to-customer: The forgotten relationship in relationship marketing. In J. N. Sheth & A. Parvatiyar (Eds.), Relationship marketing: Theory, methods, and applications (pp. 1-10). Atlanta, GA: Emory University.
- Dubois, B., & Duquesne, P. (1993). The market for luxury goods: Income versus culture. European Journal of Marketing, 27(1), 35-44. doi:10.1108/03090569310024530
- Feingold, A. (1992). Good-looking people are not what we think. Psychological Bulletin, 111(2), 304-341. doi:10.1037/0033-2909.111.2.304 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.111.2.304
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error: Algebra and statistics. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(3), 382-388. doi:10.2307/3150980 https://doi.org/10.2307/3150980
- Grossman, G. M., & Shapiro, C. (1987). Dynamic R&D competition. The Economic Journal, 97(386), 372-387. doi:10.3386/w1674 https://doi.org/10.2307/2232884
- Grove, S. J., & Fisk, R. P. (1997). The impact of other customers on service experiences: A critical incident examination of "getting along". Journal of Retailing, 73(1), 63-85. doi:10.1016/S0022-4359(97)90015-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(97)90015-4
- Harris, L. C., & Reynolds, K. L. (2004). Jaycustomer behavior: An exploration of types and motives in the hospitality industry. Journal of Services Marketing, 18(5), 339-357. doi:10.1108/08876040410548276 https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040410548276
- Homans, G. C. (1961). Social behavior: Its elementary forms. Oxford: Routledge.
- Jung, S. A., & Choi, M. Y. (2011). The effects of the VMD of an SPA store on product evaluation and purchase preferences. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 11(2), 75-95.
- Kaltcheva, V. D., & Weitz, B. A. (2006). When should a retailer create an exciting store environment? Journal of Marketing, 70(1), 107-118. doi:10.1509/jmkg.2006.70.1.107 https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.2006.70.1.107
- Kellaris, J. J., & Altsech, M. B. (1992). The experience of time as a function of musical loudness and gender of listener. Advances in Consumer Research, 19(1), 725-729.
- Kim, H. J., & Lee, S. H. (2007). An analysis of consumer's buying behaviors and the importance of store attributes in Spa brand-Focused on female college student in Seoul metropolitan area and Gyeongi-do area-. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 15(3), 368-382.
- Kim, J. W., Suh, Y. G., & Lee, D. H. (2012). The role of Shopper-Based Mall Equity (SBME) on shopping mall equity. Journal of Commodity Science and Technology, 30(2), 135-146.
- Kim, N. M. (2007). The effect of other customers as a dimension of servicescape. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, S. H. (2007). Effect of the verbal and non-verbal communication of salespersons in service encounter on customers' emotion and behavioral intension-Focusing on the emotional contagion phenomenon-. Journal of Consumer Studies, 18(1), 97-131.
- Kim, Y. J. (2012). The effect of social factors on customer perception focusing on physical attractiveness and self-image congruence in fashion store. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Latane, B., & Wolf, S. (1981). The social impact of majorities and minorities. Psychological Review, 88(5), 438-453. doi:10.1037/0033-295X.88.5.438 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.88.5.438
- Lee, H. S., & Lim, J. H. (2009). Structural equation modeling with AMOS 16.0. Paju: BOBMUNSA.
- Lee, J. Y., Kim, H. S., & La, S. (2009). An exploratory study on customer-to-customer contact quality using CIT. Journal of Korean Marketing Association, 24(3), 71-93.
- Lee, K. S., & Nam, M. W. (2013). The influence of marital satisfaction, lifestyle and psychological variables on clothing behavior of housewives. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 13(1), 23-46.
- Lehtinen, U., & Lehtinen, J. R. (1991). Two approaches to service quality dimensions. Service Industries Journal, 11(3), 287-303. doi:10.1080/02642069100000047 https://doi.org/10.1080/02642069100000047
- Lim, H. S. (2014, December 16). 삼성패션연구소, 올해 패션 이슈 'P형 소비자' '여미족'... [Samsung Fashion Institute, This year's fashion issue, 'P consumer', 'Yummy'...]. The Asia Economy Daily. Retrieved January 20, 2015, from http://view.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?idxno=2014121616295949730
- Lim, H. W. (2014, January 22). "팔리는 건 SPA 아니면 명품" ...'잘 나가던' 후부 .콕스 등 잇단 퇴출 ["Selling products from only SPA or Luxury"...Kicking out ex-rising star Fubu, COAX and so on...continually]. The Korea Economic Daily. Retrieved June 2, 2015, from http://www.hankyung.com/news/app/newsview.php?aid=2014012229211
- Malhotra, N. K. (1988). Self concept and product choice: An integrated perspective. Journal of Economic Psychology, 9(1), 1-28. doi:10.1016/1067-4870(88)900929-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4870(88)90029-3
- Martin, C. L. (1996). Consumer-to-consumer relationships: Satisfaction with other consumers' public behavior. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 30(1), 146-169. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-6606.1996.tb00729.x
- McGinnies, E., Nordholm, L. A., Ward, C. D., & Bhanthumnavin, D. L. (1974). Sex and cultural differences in perceived locus of control among students in five countries. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 42(3), 451-455. doi:10.1037/h0036676 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0036676
- McGrath, M. A., & Otnes, C. (1995). Unacquainted influencers: When strangers interact in the retail setting. Journal of Business Research, 32(3), 261-272. doi:10.1016/0148-2963(94)00051-F https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(94)00051-F
- Monin, B. (2003). The warm glow heuristic: when liking leads to familiarity. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 85(6), 1035-1048. doi:10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1685 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1245
- Park, J. O., & Lee, E. K. (2005). Cognitive, emotional and behavioral responses on in-store shopping environment according to apparel shopping orientation. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 29(8), 1196-1206.
- Park, M. J., & Lee, S. E. (2011). The study on VMD components and store image-Focusing on SPA brands-. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 17(3), 274-285.
- Prahalad, C. K., & Ramaswamy, V. (2000). Co-opting customer competence. Harvard Business Review, 78(1), 79-90.
- Reingen, P. H., & Kernan, J. B. (1993). Social perception and interpersonal influence: Some consequences of the physical attractiveness stereotype in a personal selling setting. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 2(1), 25-38. doi:10.1016/S1057-7408(08)80073-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1057-7408(08)80073-3
- Robert, J. D., & John, R. R. (1982). Store atmosphere: An environmental psychology approach. Journal of Retailing, 58(1), 34-57.
- Rosenbaum, M. E. (1986). The repulsion hypothesis: On the nondevelopment of relationships. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1156-1166. doi:10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1996 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.526
- Seo, M. S., & Lee, M. Y. (1999). Activity type and physiological reactivity: The effect of interaction in locus of control, depression and trait anxiety. Korean Journal of Biological and Physiological Psychology, 11(1), 71-88.
- Singh, R., & Ho, S. Y. (2000). Attitudes and attraction: A new test of the attraction, repulsion and similarity-dissimilarity asymmetry hypotheses. British Journal of Social Psychology, 39(2), 197-211. doi:10.1348/014466600164426 https://doi.org/10.1348/014466600164426
- Sirgy, M. J. (1985). Using self-congruity and ideal congruity to predict purchase motivation. Journal of Business Research, 13(3), 195-206. doi:10.1016/0148-2963(85)90026-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(85)90026-8
- Shin, K., & Chung, M. (2001). The effects of perceived service qualities and attributes of products on consumer's attitudes toward shopping mall. Journal of Human Ecology, 11, 59-73.
- Smith, A. K., Bolton, R. N., & Wagner, J. (1999). A model of customer satisfaction with service encounters involving failure and recovery. Journal of Marketing Research, 36(3), 356-372. doi:10.2307/3152082 https://doi.org/10.2307/3152082
- Soderlund, M. (2011). Other customers in the retail environment and their impact on the customer's evaluations of the retailer. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 18(3), 174-182. doi:10.1016/j.jretconser.2010.09.006 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2010.09.006
- Soderlund, M., & Julander, C. R. (2009). Physical attractiveness of the service worker in the moment of truth and its effects on customer satisfaction. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 16(3), 216-226. doi:10.1016/j.jretconser.2008.11.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2008.11.008
- Thurstone, L. L. (1928). Attitudes can be measured. American Journal of Sociology, 33(4), 529-554. https://doi.org/10.1086/214483
Supported by : 서울대학교 의류학과