- Volume 40 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Fashion Behaviors and Impression Management Behaviors on Career Success of Male Office Workers -Applying PLS Structural Equation Modeling-
직장남성의 패션행동 및 인상관리행동이 경력성공에 미치는 영향 -PLS 구조방정식 모형을 적용하여-
- Received : 2015.08.07
- Accepted : 2015.12.14
- Published : 2016.02.29
This study investigated the relationship between fashion behavior, impression management behavior, and career success. A conceptual model and hypotheses were established based on theoretical linkages between the constructs. Thereafter, empirical data were collected using a set of questionnaires. For this reason, the sample was taken from 720 office workers' who worked at 14's Korea Enterprise, 697 of which was used for an empirical analysis (sample: men over 30 years of age and more than three years continuous service). This study conducted an exploratory factor analysis and confirmatory factor analysis for the validity test. Cronbach's alpha test is used for the reliability test. Moreover, PLS structural equation modeling (SEM) was employed to test hypothesized relationships in the conceptual model (SPSS 20.0 window/Smart PLS 3.0). This study shows that the proposed model is reasonably fit to the actual data. The following results were obtained from the analyses. First, fashion behavior and impression management behavior is positively related to career success. The result shows that economics of the fashion behaviors sub-types were statistically more significant to influence career success. The self-focused of the impression management behavior sub-types were more than statistically significant to influence career success. This finding has great implications to understand self-management behavior and the career success of male office workers.
Male office workers;Fashion behaviors;Impression management behaviors;Career success;PLS structural equation modeling
- Solomon, M. R. (1985). The psychology of fashion. Miami, FL: Lexington Books.
- Wayne, S. J., & Ferris, G. R. (1990). Influences tactics, affect, and exchange quality in supervisor-subordinate interactions: A laboratory experiment and field study. Journal of Applied Psychology, 75(5), 487-499. doi:10.1037/0021-9010.75.5.487 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.75.5.487
- Wayne, S. J., & Liden, R. C. (1995). Effects of impression management on performance ratings: A longitudinal study. Academy of Management Journal, 38(1), 232-260. doi:10.2307/256734 https://doi.org/10.2307/256734
- Wetzels, M., Odekerken-Shchrder, G., & Van Oppen, C. (2009). Using PLS path modeling for assessing hierarchical construct models: Guidelines and empirical ippustration. MIS Quarterly, 33(1), 177-195. https://doi.org/10.2307/20650284
- Zeinabadi, H. (2010). Job satisfaction and organizational committeeman as antecedent of Organization Citizenship Behavior (OCB) of teachers. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 5, 998-1003. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.07.225 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.07.225
- Zhang, H. (2010). A study of china's IT industry employees's subjective career success factors. Unpublished master's thesis, Konkuk University, Seoul.
- Shin, D. G. (2014). Dispositional and situational antecedents and consequences of impression management tactics: Role of political skill. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yeungnam University, Gyeongsan.
- Smucker, B., & Creekmore, A. M. (1972). Adolescents' clothing conformity, awareness, and peer acceptance. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal, 1(2), 92-97. doi:10.1177/1077727X7200100203 https://doi.org/10.1177/1077727X7200100203
- Alderfer, C. P. (1969). An empirical test of a new theory of human needs. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 4(2), 142-175. doi:10.1016/0030-5073(69)90004-X https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(69)90004-X
- Arnold, J., & Cohen, L. (2008). The psychology of careers in industrial and organizational settings: A critical but appreciative analysis. International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 23, 1-44. doi:10.1002/9780470773277.ch1
- Abele, A. E., Spurk, D., & Volmer, J. (2011). The construct of career success: Measurement issues and an empirical example. Zeitschrift fur ArbeitsmarktForschung, 43(3), 195-206. doi:10.1007/s12651-010-0034-6 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12651-010-0034-6
- Bolino, M. C., & Turnley, W. H. (2003). More than one way to make an impression: Exploring profiles of impression management. Journal of Management, 29(2), 141-160. doi:10.1016/S0149-2063(02)00212-X
- Bolino, M. C., Varela, J. A., Bande, B., & Turnley, W. H. (2006). The impact of impression-management tactics on supervisor ratings of organizational citizenship behavior. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 27(3), 281-297. doi:10.1002/job.379 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.379
- Chae, S. M. (2013). A study on the effects of impression management and team effectiveness and organizational citizenship behavior in hotel employees's: Focused on the fulfill desire. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyonggi University, Seoul.
- Chang, E. J., & Ji, S. G. (2004). The empirical study of the effect of personal characteristics on the subjective career success for females in the banking industry. Journal of Secretarial Science, 13(1), 163-184.
- Chen, Y. Y., & Fang, W. (2008). The moderating effect of impression management on the organizational politics-performance relationship. Journal of Business Ethics, 79(3), 263-277. doi:10.1007/s10551-007-9379-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-007-9379-3
- Cho, N. G., & Chung, K. Y. (2010). The effects of Employee Value Proposition (EVP) and talents development on career success of hotel employees. Korean Journal of Hospitality Administration, 19(4), 37-58.
- Choi, S. K., & Hyun, S. H. (2015). The interaction effects of impression management and perceived organization politics on performance evaluation. Korea Journal of Business Administration, 28(4), 1249-1276.
- Choi, S. K., Jeong, S. J., & Chu, M. S. (2012). Elderly women's body image and clothing behavior. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 62(3), 17-28. doi:10.7233/jksc.2012.62.3.017 https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2012.62.3.017
- Choi, Y. G. (2007). 마케팅 조사론 [Marketing research]. Seoul: Muyokpub.
- Chon, S. J., & Han, J. W. (2014). Effects of perception of job insecurity and organizational justice on impression management behavior. Journal of Secretarial Science, 23(1), 71-94.
- Chun, M. S., Lee, S. G., & Koh, A. R. (2006). The effect of cultural tendency on clothing consumption behavior. Korean Journal of Consumer and Advertising Psychology, 7(2), 277-300.
- Chung, M. J., & Kim, K. J. (2000). Clothing behavior according to the psychopathic deviate and masculinity-femininity of middle school boys and girls. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 24(8), 1276-1287.
- Cohen, J., & Cohen, P. (1983). Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc Inc.
- Creekmore, A. M. (1963). Clothing behaviors and their relation to general values and to the striving for basic needs. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park.
- Esposito Vinzi, V., Chin, W. W., Heneseler, J., & Wang, H. (2010). Handbook of partial least squares: Concepts, methods, and applications. New York, NY: Springer.
- Fisher, C. D. (2000). Mood and emotions while working: Missing pieces of job satisfaction? Journal of Organizational Behavior, 21(2), 185-202. doi:10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(200003)21:2<185::AID-JOB34>3.0.CO;2-M https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(200003)21:2<185::AID-JOB34>3.0.CO;2-M
- Greenhaus, J. H., Parasuraman, S., & Wormley, W. M. (1990). Effects of race on organizational experiences, job performance evaluations and career outcomes. Academy of Management Journal, 33(1), 64-86. doi:10.2307/256352 https://doi.org/10.2307/256352
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L., & Black, W. C. (1995). Multivariate data analysis. New York, NY: Macmillan.
- Heslin, P. A. (2005). Conceptualizing and evaluating career success. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 26(2), 113-136. doi:10.1002/job.270 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.270
- Higgins, C. A., Judge, T. A., & Ferris, G. R. (2003). Influence tactics and work outcomes: A meta-analysis. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 24(1), 89-106. doi:10.1002/job.181 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.181
- Hong, B. S., & Lee, E. J. (2010). The effect of leadership by team leaders on team empowerment and the performance of team members in fashion companies. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(10), 1687-1700. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.10.1687
- Hwang, Y. J., & Yoo, T. S. (2010). The effects of sociocultural attitudes toward appearance, self-esteem, and physical attractiveness perceptiveness on weight and clothing management behaviors. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(11), 1923-1932. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.11.1923
- Jang, H. S., & Lee, J. H. (2014). Body image and appearance behaviors on men aged between 20 and 39 influence on their performance on their tasks. Korean Journal of Aesthetics and Cosmetology, 12(6), 805-812.
- Jeon, K. R., & Lee, E. H. (2005). The effect of need on aesthetic surgery attitude on clothing attitude of adolescents. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 14(1), 119-132.
- Jeong, E. S., Kim, S. I., & Jeong, S. R. (2015). The effects of hotel employee's efficacy of image-making on job satisfaction and organizational commitment: Focused on five-star deluxe hotel employees in Gangwon province. Journal of Tourism Sciences, 39(3), 75-91.
- Jung, E. S., & Lee, S. J. (2000). Clothes selection in accordance with job characteristic and working place situation of a professional women in industry. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 50(5), 77-90.
- Jung, S. Y., Chang, E. J., & Lee, S. W. (2005). A study on the subjective career success of CPA. Korea Journal of Business Administration, 18(5), 2203-2230.
- Kahng, H. W., Lee, K. S., Koh, A. R., Chung, M. S., Nam, M. W., & Kim, Y. J. (2012). The social psychology of clothing (3rd ed.). Paju: Kyomoon Publishers.
- Kaiser, S. B. (1985). The social psychology clothing & adornment. New York, NY: Macmillan Publishing Co.
- Kang, K. J., & Suh, Y. S. (1989). The effect of Maslow's basic needs on the clothing values among adult women. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 13(1), 1-12.
- Kang, K. J., & Suh, Y. S. (1992). The effect of Maslow's basic needs on conformity and individuality in the clothing selection. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 16(4), 431-441.
- Kim, I. H. (2010). The effect of body image on clothing behavior and weight control of women. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(9), 1442-1453. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.9.1442
- Kim, J. J. (2009). A study on effects of influential factors on career success: Comparing women managers in Korea and the United States. Korea Business Review, 13(2), 125-155.
- Kim, J. J. (2012). A study of glass ceiling effect on impression management behaviors between Korean and U.S. women managers in financial institutions-Focused on supervisor support and informal network-. The Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 25(4), 833-859. https://doi.org/10.24230/ksiop.25.4.201211.833
- Kim, J. W., & Jin, S. Y. (2011). Fashion attitude and bag purchase behaviors of males in their 20s-30s. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 35(3), 267-280. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2011.35.3.267
- Kim, M. J. (2000). The effect of mass-media to clothing behaviors of children-Focusing on 4, 5, 6th grade students of elementary school in Seoul-. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Kim, T. S. (2014). Effect of person-environment (job, organization) fit on job satisfaction and customer orientation: Mainly on KTX train attendants. The Academy of Customer Satisfaction Management, 16(3), 87-104.
- Kim, W. O. (1984). 직업여성의 衣服行動과 職業滿足에 관한 分析的 연구 [Analytical study of clothing behavior and job satisfaction of female office workers]. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, Y. H. (2013). Effect of the service provider's big-five personality model and impression management behaviors on the customer orientation. Korean Journal of Tourism Research, 27(6), 341-365.
- Kim, Y. J. (2004). The level of bold acceptance in male fashion according to attitude toward clothe and trend. Unpublished master's thesis, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Kwon, N. K., Kim, H. L., & Lee, I. J. (2013). A study on the effects of employee value proposition and the importance of job rotation on the subjective career success. Korean Journal of Culinary Research, 19(3), 291-304.
- Leary, M. R., & Kowalski, R. M. (1990). Impression management: A literature and two-component model. Psychological Bulletin, 107, 34-47. doi:10.1037/0033-2909.107.1.34 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.107.1.34
- Lee, E. H. (2006). A study on secondary school girl students' life style, attitude toward appearance and clothing attitude. Journal of The Korean Association of Practical Arts Education, 18(4), 85-102.
- Lee, H. R., & Park, S. G. (2009). The mediating effects of career plateau on the relationship between personality related jobs and subjective career success. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, 21(1), 249-268.
- Lee, I. J., Lee, K. H., & Shin, H. J. (2001). 의상심리 [Psychology of dress]. Paju: Gyomoon Publishers.
- Lee, J. G. (2015). Determinants and consequences of impression management: Focusing on restaurant employees in-hotels. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Lee, J. I. (2010). Work clothing and occupation satisfaction of young male consumer. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Lee, J. I., & Lee, K. H. (2013). Correlation between work attire satisfaction and job satisfaction for male consumers. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 63(3), 166-175. doi:10.7233/jksc.2013.63.3.166 https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2013.63.3.166
- Lee, J. S., & Cho, Y. J. (2014). The effect of uniform satisfaction of hotel employees on job satisfaction, self-image and guest orientation. Journal of Tourism and Leisure Research, 26(7), 239-256.
- Lee, K. G. (2005). The effects of task performance and contextual performance on supervisory subjective evaluation and the role of impression management behaviors as moderator. Korean Journal of Management, 13(1), 139-171.
- Lee, M. A., & Ryu, E. Y. (2015). The relationship between local government welfare finance expenditure determinants and expenditure effects: With focus on mediating effects of government expenditure structure. Korean Policy Sciences Review, 19(3), 33-55.
- Lee, S. C., & Kim, H. (2008). The effect of the transactional leadership and transformational leadership on team empowerment and performance. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 10(6), 936-946.
- Lee, S. G., & Jeong, J. G. (2003). A study on the clothing behavior of high school students in terms of creativity, individuality and conformity. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 41(9), 1-16.
- Liem, J. S. (1989). A study on the relationship between occupational satisfaction and clothing behavior for a group of male adults-Concatenated on professional job, administrative job, office job-. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Lim, S. J., Hwang, S. J., Lee, J. N., & Lee, S. H. (2009). The social psychology of clothing (Rev. ed.). Seoul: Soohaksa.
- MaClelland, D. C. (1962). Business drive and national achievement. Harvard Business Review, 40(4), 99-112.
- Moon, J. S. (2012). Antecedents and consequences of career outcomes. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Kyungpook National University, Daegu.
- Niehoff, B. P. (2000). A motive-based view of organizational citizenship behavior: Applying an old lens to a new class of organizational behaviors. Proceedings of the in Midwest Academy of Management Behavior Conference, USA, 1-16.
- Park, K. H. (2015, December 4). 20대 청년층 실업률은 떨어졌는데...절반이 단순노무직 [The felled in 20s youth unemployment rate...half the simple labor]. Moneytoday. Retrieved December 10, 2015, from http://news.mt.co.kr/mtview.php?no=2015120414281975555
- Park, K. S. (2007). A study on the relationship between clothing selecting motivations for self-image management and interpersonal relations deposition. Unpublished master's thesis, Korea International Culture University of Graduate, Cheongyang.
- Park, M. O. (2008). A study on relationship among hotel employee personality characteristics, impression management, supervisor-subordinate exchange relationship and job satisfaction. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Dong-A University, Busan.
- Park, S. D., & Yoo, T. Y. (2015). The effect of peer's impression management on employee's organizational behavior: The mediating effect of impression management motive and moderating effect of internal locus of control. The Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 28(1), 75-96. https://doi.org/10.24230/ksiop.28.1.201502.75
- Ryu, E. Y. (2014). The moderating effect of collectivism on the relationship between leader's behavioral types and subordinate's innovative activities using PLS-Structural Equation Model: Focused on employees in public enterprises. Korean Public Personnel Administration Review, 13(1), 233-264.
- Shim, J. H. (2007). A study on difference of clothing behavior and desired image by individualism-collectivism. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 31(11), 1574-1585. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.11.1574
- Shin, D. G. (2012). (A) Study of influential factors on impression management and it's effects on supervisor-ratings. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Dankook University, Yongin.
- Differences in Appearance Management Behavior according to Occupational Characteristics and Demographic Characteristics of Workers vol.67, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2017.67.2.017