- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Blends of Low-Protein Winter Wheat Flour and Barley Byproducts on Quality Changes in Noodles
- Lee, Na-Young (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kunsan National University)
- Received : 2016.09.30
- Accepted : 2016.11.23
- Published : 2016.12.31
The physicochemical characteristics of fresh noodles made with blends of low-protein wheat flour and barley byproduct (BBP,
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Zhang H, Zhang W, Xu C, Zhou X. 2013. Morphological features and physicochemical properties of waxy wheat starch. Int J Biol Macromol 62: 304-309. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2013.09.030
- Kumar SB, Prabhasankar P. 2014. Low glycemic index ingredients and modified starches in wheat based food processing: a review. Trends Food Sci Technol 35: 32-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2013.10.007
- Wang P, Jin Z, Xu X. 2015. Physicochemical alterations of wheat gluten proteins upon dough formation and frozen storage-a review from gluten, glutenin and gliadin perspectives. Trends Food Sci Technol 46: 189-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2015.10.005
- Mariani BM, D'Egidio MG, Novaro P. 1995. Durum wheat quality evaluation: influence of genotype and environment. Cereal Chem 72: 194-197.
- Triboi E, Abad A, Michelena A, Lloveras J, Ollier JL, Daniel C. 2000. Environmental effects on the quality of two wheat genotypes: 1. Quantitative and qualitative variation of storage proteins. Eur J Agron 13: 47-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1161-0301(00)00059-9
- Zhou Y, Cao H, Hou M, Nirasawa S, Tatsumi E, Foster TJ, Cheng Y. 2013. Effect of konjac glucomannan on physical and sensory properties of noodles made from low-protein wheat flour. Food Res Int 51: 879-885. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2013.02.002
- Park CS, Hong BH, Baik BK. 2003. Protein quality of wheat desirable for making fresh white salted noodles and its influences on processing and texture of noodles. Cereal Chem 80: 297-303. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM.2003.80.3.297
- Geng P, Harnly JM, Chen P. 2016. Differentiation of bread made with whole grain and refined wheat (T. aestivum) flour using LC/MS-based chromatographic fingerprinting and chemometric approaches. J Food Compos Anal 47: 92-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2015.12.010
- Yadav BS, Yadav RB, Kumari M, Khatkar BS. 2014. Studies on suitability of wheat flour blends with sweet potato, colocasia and water chestnut flours for noodle making. LWT-Food Sci Technol 57: 352-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2013.12.042
- Patel S. 2015. Cereal bran fortified-functional foods for obesity and diabetes management: triumphs, hurdles and possibilities. J Funct Foods 14: 255-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2015.02.010
- McCaskill DR, Zhang F. 1999. Use of rice bran oil in foods. Food Technol 53: 50-54.
- Sharma P, Gujral HS, Singh B. 2012. Antioxidant activity of barley as affected by extrusion cooking. Food Chem 131: 1406- 1413. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2011.10.009
- El Khoury D, Cuda C, Luhovyy BL, Anderson GH. 2012. Beta glucan: health benefits in obesity and metabolic syndrome. J Nutr Metab 2012: 851362.
$\beta$-Glucan content of barley and oats-rapid enzymatic procedure: AACCI Method 32-23.01. In AACC International Approved Methods. 10th ed. American Association of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, USA.
- AOAC. 1986. Total dietary fiber in foods: AOAC Official Method 985.29. In Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Rockville, MD, USA.
- Medcalf DG, Gilles KA. 1965. Wheat starches. I. Comparison of physicochemical properties. Cereal Chem 42: 558-568.
- Kim WS, Shin M. 2007. The properties of rice flours prepared by dry- and wet-milling of soaked glutinous and normal grains. Korean J Food Cookery Sci 23: 908-918.
- Baik BK, Park CS, Paszczynska B, Konzak CF. 2003. Characteristics of noodles and bread prepared from double-null partial waxy wheat. Cereal Chem 80: 627-633. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM.2003.80.5.627
- Kang CS, Park CS, Park JC, Kim HS, Cheong YK, Kim KH, Kim KJ, Park KH, Kim JG. 2010. Flour characteristics and end-use quality of Korean wheat cultivars: II. End-use properties. Korean J Breed Sci 42: 75-86.
- Hung PV, Maeda T, Morita N. 2006. Waxy and high-amylose wheat starches and flours-characteristics, functionality and application. Trends Food Sci Technol 17: 448-456. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2005.12.006
- Hung PV, Maeda T, Yoshikawa R, Morita N. 2004. Dough properties and baking quality of several domestic wheat flours as compared with commercial foreign wheat flour. Food Sci Technol Res 10: 389-395. https://doi.org/10.3136/fstr.10.389
- Gujral HS, Gaur S. 2002. Effects of barley flour, wet gluten and liquid shortening on the texture and storage characteristics of chapati. J Texture Stud 33: 461-469. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4603.2002.tb01360.x
- Lazaridou A, Duta D, Papageorgiou M, Belc N, Biliaderis CG. 2007. Effects of hydrocolloids on dough rheology and bread quality parameters in gluten-free formulations. J Food Eng 79: 1033-1047. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2006.03.032
- Holguin-Acuna AL, Carvajal-Millan E, Santana-Rodriguez V, Rascon-Chu A, Marquez-Escalante JA, de Leon-Renova NEP, Gastelum-Franco G. 2008. Maize bran/oat flour extruded breakfast cereal: a novel source of complex polysaccharides and an antioxidant. Food Chem 111: 654-657. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.04.034
- Singh M, Liu SX, Vaughn SF. 2013. Effect of corn bran particle size on rheology and pasting characteristics of flour gels. Biocatal Agric Biotechnol 2: 138-142.
Sharma P, Gujral HS. 2014. Anti-staling effects of
$\beta$-glucan and barley flour in wheat flour chapatti. Food Chem 145: 102-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.08.021
- Sobota A, Rzedzicki Z, Zarzycki P, Kuzawinska E. 2015. Application of common wheat bran for the industrial production of high-fibre pasta. Int J Food Sci Technol 50: 111-119. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.12641
- Yilmaz İ, Daglioglu O. 2003. The effect of replacing fat with oat bran on fatty acid composition and physicochemical properties of meatballs. Meat Sci 65: 819-823. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00286-3
- Park CS, Baik BK. 2002. Flour characteristics related to optimum water absorption of noodle dough for making white salted noodles. Cereal Chem 79: 867-873. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM.2002.79.6.867
- Petersson K, Godard O, Eliasson AC, Tornberg E. 2014. The effects of cereal additives in low-fat sausages and meatballs. Part 2: Rye bran, oat bran and barley fibre. Meat Sci 96: 503-508. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.08.019
- Lee NY, Kang CS. 2016. Effects of different fertilization treatments on the physicochemical and noodle-making properties of Korean winter wheat cultivars. Food Sci Biotechnol 25: 69-76. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-016-0100-0
- Singh N, Kaur A, Katyal M, Bhinder S, Ahlawat AK, Singh AM. 2016. Diversity in quality traits amongst Indian wheat varieties II: Paste, dough and muffin making properties. Food Chem 197: 316-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2015.10.035