- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Cytotoxic Effects of Strawberry, Korean Raspberry, and Mulberry Extracts on Human Ovarian Cancer A2780 Cells
- Lee, Dahae (Department of Food Science, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kang, Ki Sung (College of Korean Medicine, Gachon University) ;
- Lee, Sanghyun (Department of Integrative Plant Science, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Cho, Eun Ju (Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Hyun Young (Department of Food Science, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.09.27
- Accepted : 2016.11.29
- Published : 2016.12.31
Reactive oxygen species are tumorigenic by their ability to increase cell proliferation, survival, and cellular migration. The purpose of the present study was to compare the antioxidant activity and cytotoxic effects of 3 berry extracts (strawberry, Korean raspberry, and mulberry) in A2780 human ovarian carcinoma cells. Except for raspberry, the ethyl acetate or methylene chloride fractions of berries containing phenolic compounds exerted dose dependent free radical scavenging activities. In the raspberry fractions, the hexane fraction also exhibited potent antioxidant activity. The cytotoxic effects of berries extracts in A2780 human ovarian carcinoma cells were measured using the 3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide assay. Surprisingly, co-treatment with n-butanol (BuOH) fractions of berries showed stronger cytotoxic effects compared to the other fractions. These findings suggest that potent anticancer molecules are found in the BuOH fractions of berries that have stronger cytotoxic activity than antioxidants.
- Reuter S, Gupta SC, Chaturvedi MM, Aggarwal BB. 2010. Oxidative stress, inflammation, and cancer: how are they linked?. Free Radic Biol Med 49: 1603-1616. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2010.09.006
- Guyton KZ, Kensler TW. 1993. Oxidative mechanisms in carcinogenesis. Br Med Bull 49: 523-544. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.bmb.a072628
- Schulte-Hermann R, Timmermann-Trosiener I, Barthel G, Bursch W. 1990. DNA synthesis, apoptosis, and phenotypic expression as determinants of growth of altered foci in rat liver during phenobarbital promotion. Cancer Res 50: 5127-5135.
- Frenkel K. 1992. Carcinogen-mediated oxidant formation and oxidative DNA damage. Pharmacol Ther 53: 127-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/0163-7258(92)90047-4
- Han X, Du F, Jiang L, Zhu Y, Chen Z, Liu Y, Hong T, Wang T, Mao Y, Wu X, Bruce IC, Jin J, Ma X, Hua D. 2013. A2780 human ovarian cancer cells with acquired paclitaxel resistance display cancer stem cell properties. Oncol Lett 6: 1295-1298. https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2013.1568
- Bandebuche S, Melinkeri RR. 2011. Oxidative stress and antioxidant status in patients of ovarian cancer. Biomed Res 22: 196-200.
- Cramer DW, Kuper H, Harlow BL, Titus-Ernstoff L. 2001. Carotenoids, antioxidants and ovarian cancer risk in pre- and postmenopausal women. Int J Cancer 94: 128-134. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.1435
- Gifkins D, Olson SH, Paddock L, King M, Demissie K, Lu SE, Kong AN, Rodriguez-Rodriguez L, Bandera EV. 2012. Total and individual antioxidant intake and risk of epithelial ovarian cancer. BMC Cancer 12: 211. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-12-211
- Fuchs-Tarlovsky V. 2013. Role of antioxidants in cancer therapy. Nutrition 29: 15-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2012.02.014
- Wedge DE, Meepagala KM, Magee JB, Smith SH, Huang G, Larcom LL. 2004. Anticarcinogenic activity of strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry extracts to breast and cervical cancer cells. J Med Food 4: 49-51.
- Chen T, Rose ME, Hwang H, Nines RG, Stoner GD. 2006. Black raspberries inhibit N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine (NMBA)-induced angiogenesis in rat esophagus parallel to the suppression of COX-2 and iNOS. Carcinogenesis 27: 2301-2307. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgl109
- Hong JY, Song SH, Park HJ, Cho YJ, Pyee JH, Lee SK. 2008. Antioxidant, antiinflamatory, and antiproliferative activities of strawberry extracts. Biomol Ther 16: 286-292. https://doi.org/10.4062/biomolther.2008.16.3.286
- Carlton PS, Kresty LA, Siglin JC, Morse MA, Lu J, Morgan C, Stoner GD. 2001. Inhibition of N-nitrosomethylbenzylamine-induced tumorigenesis in the rat esophagus by dietary freeze-dried strawberries. Carcinogenesis 22: 441-446. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/22.3.441
- Aditya Rao SJ, Ramesh CK, Mahmood R, Jamuna KS, Prabhakar BT. 2015. Anti tumor activity of two species of mulberry against eat cell lines in mice. World J Pharm Res 4: 1934-1943.
- Zhang Y, Seeram NP, Lee R, Feng L, Heber D. 2008. Isolation and identification of strawberry phenolics with antioxidant and human cancer cell antiproliferative properties. J Agric Food Chem 56: 670-675. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf071989c
- Seeram NP, Lee R, Scheuller HS, Heber D. 2006. Identification of phenolic compounds in strawberries by liquid chromatography electrospray ionization mass spectroscopy. Food Chem 97: 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.02.047
- Xue H, Aziz RM, Sun N, Cassady JM, Kamendulis LM, Xu Y, Stoner GD, Klaunig JE. 2001. Inhibition of cellular transformation by berry extracts. Carcinogenesis 22: 351-356. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/22.2.351
- Tsao R. 2010. Chemistry and biochemistry of dietary polyphenols. Nutrients 2: 1231-1246. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu2121231
- Gug K. 2012. Physiological and whitening effects of Morus alba extracts. J of the Chosun Natural Science 5: 46-52. https://doi.org/10.13160/ricns.2012.5.1.046
- Arfan M, Khan R, Rybarczyk A, Amarowicz R. 2012. Antioxidant activity of mulberry fruit extracts. Int J Mol Sci 13: 2472-2480. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms13022472
- Huang HP, Ou TT, Wang CJ. 2013. Mulberry (Sang Shen Zi) and its bioactive compounds, the chemoprevention effects and molecular mechanisms in vitro and in vivo. J Tradit Complement Med 3: 7-15. https://doi.org/10.4103/2225-4110.106535
- Yoon HJ, Kim CS, Lee KY, Yang SY. 2010. Antioxidant activity of Rubus coreanus fruit extract: in comparison to green tea extract. Chonnam Medical Journal 46: 148-155. https://doi.org/10.4068/cmj.2010.46.3.148
- The healthy effects of strawberry bioactive compounds on molecular pathways related to chronic diseases vol.1398, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/nyas.13373
- Relevance of functional foods in the Mediterranean diet: the role of olive oil, berries and honey in the prevention of cancer and cardiovascular diseases pp.1549-7852, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2018.1526165