- Volume 21 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Ginsenoside Contents in Different Parts of Korean Ginseng (Panax ginseng C.A. Meyer)
- Kang, Ok-Ju (Department of Food, Nutrition and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University) ;
- Kim, Ji-Sang (Department of Food, Nutrition and Biotechnology, Kyungnam University)
- Received : 2016.07.06
- Accepted : 2016.11.13
- Published : 2016.12.31
The present study was conducted to investigate the ginsenoside profiles of the main root, root hair, and leaf of ginseng in order to demonstrate their possible application in medicine. The total ginsenoside content of the leaf was up to 12 times than that in the main root, and the content of protopanaxadiol groups was higher than that of protopanaxatriol groups in all the samples. The leaf was shown to contain high amounts of ginsenosides Rb3 and Rh1, whereas the main root contained large amounts of ginsenosides Rb1 and Rc. Moreover, Rb2, Rb3, and Rg1 were only detected in the root hair, leaf, and main root, respectively. The ginsenoside Re content of Panax ginseng leaf and root hair was 2.6~4 times higher than that of the main root. Therefore, the results indicate that the ginsenoside content of Panax ginseng is higher in the leaf and root hair, and lower in the main root.
- Kang KS, Yokozawa T, Kim HY, Park JH. 2006. Study on the nitric oxide scavenging effects of ginseng and its compounds. J Agric Food Chem 54: 2558-2562. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0529520
- Chen XG, Liu HY, Lei XH, Fu ZD, Li Y, Tao LH, Han R. 1998. Cancer chemopreventive and therapeutic activities of red ginseng. J Ethnopharmacol 60: 71-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(97)00133-5
- Yun TK, Lee YS, Kwon HY, Choi KJ. 1996. Saponin contents and anticarcinogenic effects of ginseng depending on types and ages in mice. Zhongguo Yao Li Xue Bao 17: 293-298.
- Fuzzati N. 2004. Analysis methods of ginsenosides. J Chromatogr B 812: 119-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1570-0232(04)00645-2
- Fuzzati N, Gabetta B, Jayakar K, Pace R, Peterlongo F. 1999. Liquid chromatography-electrospray mass spectrometric identification of ginsenosides in Panax ginseng roots. J Chromatogr A 854: 69-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(99)00463-X
- Attele AS, Zhou YP, Xie JT, Wu JA, Zhang L, Dey L, Pugh W, Rue PA, Polonsky KS, Yuan CS. 2002. Antidiabetic effects of Panax ginseng berry extract and the identification of an effective component. Diabetes 51: 1851-1858. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.51.6.1851
- Popovich DG, Kitts DD. 2004. Generation of ginsenosides Rg3 and Rh2 from North American ginseng. Phytochemistry 65: 337-344. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytochem.2003.11.020
- Wang HC, Chen CR, Chang CJ. 2001. Carbon dioxide extraction of ginseng root hair oil and ginsenosides. Food Chem 72: 505-509. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(00)00259-4
- Xie JT, Mehendale SR, Wang A, Han AH, Wu JA, Osinski J, Yuan CS. 2004. American ginseng leaf: ginsenoside analysis and hypoglycemic activity. Pharmacol Res 49: 113-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrs.2003.07.015
- Yip TT, Lau CN, But PP, Kong YC. 1985. Quantitative analysis of ginsenosides in fresh Panax ginseng. Am J Chin Med 13: 77-88. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X85000125
- Zhang K, Wang X, Ding L, Li J, Qu CL, Chen LG, Jin HY, Zhang HQ. 2008. Determination of seven major ginsenosides in different parts of Panax quinquefolius L. (American ginseng) with different ages. Chem Res Chin Univ 24: 707-711.
- Wan JB, Yang FQ, Li SP, Wang YT, Cui XM. 2006. Chemical characteristics for different parts of Panax notoginseng using pressurized liquid extraction and HPLC-ELSD. J Pharm Biomed Anal 41: 1596-1601. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2006.01.058
- Shi W, Wang YT, Li J, Zhang HQ, Ding L. 2007. Investigation of ginsenosides in different parts and ages of Panax ginseng. Food Chem 102: 664-668. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.05.053
- Qu CL, Bai YP, Jin XQ, Wang YT, Zhang K, You JY, Zhang HQ. 2009. Study on ginsenosides in different parts and ages of Panax quinquefolius L. Food Chem 115: 340-346. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2008.11.079
- Li TSC, Mazza G, Cottrell AC, Gao L. 1996. Ginsenosides in roots and leaves of American ginseng. J Agric Food Chem 44: 717-720. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf950309f
- Lim JY, Ishiguro K, Kubo I. 1999. Tyrosinase inhibitory p-coumaric acid from ginseng leaves. Phytother Res 13: 371-375. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1573(199908/09)13:5<371::AID-PTR453>3.0.CO;2-L
- Qu CL, Zhang HQ, Wang JS, Zhang R, Yu SC. 2010. Analysis of ginsenosides by SPE-HPLC and its application to quality control. Chem Res Chin Univ 26: 527-531.
- Dong H, Bai LP, Wong VK, Zhou H, Wang JR, Liu Y, Jiang ZH, Liu L. 2011. The in vitro structure-related anti-cancer activity of ginsenosides and their derivatives. Molecules 16: 10619-10630. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules161210619
- Li XG, Yan YZ, Jin XJ, Kim YK, Uddin MR, Kim YB, Bae HH, Kim YC, Lee SW, Park SU. 2012. Ginsenoside content in the leaves and roots of Panax ginseng at different ages. Life Sci J 9: 679-683.
- Zhang YC, Li G, Jiang C, Yang B, Yang HJ, Xu HY, Huang LQ. 2014. Tissue-specific distribution of ginsenosides in different aged ginseng and antioxidant activity of ginseng leaf. Molecules 19: 17381-17399. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules191117381
- Kim YJ, Jeon JN, Jang MG, Oh JY, Kwon WS, Jung SK, Yang DC. 2014. Ginsenoside profiles and related gene expression during foliation in Panax ginseng Meyer. J Ginseng Res 38: 66-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jgr.2013.11.001
- Wang A, Wang CZ, Wu JA, Osinski J, Yuan CS. 2005. Determination of major ginsenosides in Panax quinquefolius (American ginseng) using high-performance liquid chromatography. Phytochem Anal 16: 272-277. https://doi.org/10.1002/pca.838
- Samukawa K, Yamashita H, Matsuda H, Kubo M. 1995. Simultaneous analysis of ginsenosides of various ginseng radix by HPLC. Yakugaku Zasshi 115: 241-249. https://doi.org/10.1248/yakushi1947.115.3_241
- Herbal products containing Hibiscus sabdariffa L., Crataegus spp., and Panax spp.: Labeling and safety concerns vol.100, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2017.07.031
- Herbal Medicine for Stroke vol.24, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1089/act.2018.29186.eya
- Phytochemicals and their effective role in the treatment of diabetes mellitus: a short review pp.1572-980X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11101-018-9575-z