- Volume 19 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Stability of Railway Bridge Abutment with Earth Pressure and Internal Friction Angle of Backfill
내부마찰각과 토압 산정방법에 따른 철도교대의 안정성 비교 연구
- Choi, Chan Yong (High Speed Railway Infrastructure System Research Center, Korea Railraod Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Hun Ki (High Speed Railway Infrastructure System Research Center, Korea Railraod Research Institute) ;
- Yang, Sang Beom (High Speed Railway Infrastructure System Research Center, Korea Railraod Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Byung Il (Research Institute, Expert Group for Earth & Environment)
- Received : 2016.10.17
- Accepted : 2016.11.08
- Published : 2016.12.31
In this study, a standard section of a railway bridge abutment wall was designed to satisfy the external stability condition in accordance with the design criteria; this design was used to compare and analyze the active earth pressure and to calculate various types of earth pressure acting on the virtual back (wall, plane) according to the frictional angle of the backfill materials. Also, the external stability, member force and construction cost were analyzed according to the frictional angle of the backfill materials using various theories of earth pressure such as Rankine, Coulomb, Trial Wedge, and Improved Trial Wedge. As for the results, it was found that lateral earth pressure at the virtual back plane was higher than at the virtual back wall, and that these values decreased with the increase of the frictional angle of the backfill materials. The increasing of the frictional angle of the backfill materials decreased the active earth pressure (according to Rankine, Coulomb, Trial Wedge, and Improved Trial Wedge results), and the member force as well as the construction cost were reduced.
Grant : 철도노반 성능 및 건설비 최적화 기반기술 개발
Supported by : 한국철도기술연구원
- B.I. Kim, Y.J. Jung, D.H. Kim, C.H. Lee, S.J. Han (2014) The Calculation and Design Method of Active Earth Pressure with Type of Gravity Structures, Journal of the Korean Geotechnical Society, 30(4), pp. 47-63. https://doi.org/10.7843/KGS.2014.30.4.47
- S.K. Kim (1992) About application of earth pressure acting on abutment and retaining wall, Journal of Korean Society of Civil Enginners, 40(1), pp. 46-54.
- Y.S. Baek (2011) Soil mechanics described like lecture, Goomibook, Seoul, pp. 671-814.
- Y.S. Chae, M.S. Park (1993) Study about earth pressure acting on Virtual Surface of behind cantilever wall, Conference of Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Korean Society of Civil Engineers, pp. 461-464.
- Korea Rail Network Authority (2013) Guidelines of Track Maintenance.
- Barghouthi, A.F. (1990) Active earth pressure on walls with base projection, Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, 116(10), pp. 1570-1575. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1990)116:10(1570)
- Duncan, J.M., Clough, G.W., Ebeling, R.E., Design and Preformance of Earth Retaining Structures, ASCE Geot. Spec., 25, pp. 251-278.
- Teng (1962) Foundation design, Prentice-Hall Inc., London, pp. 276-552.
- Terzaghi, K. (1943) Theoretical soil mechanics, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, pp.100-117.
- CRI Clayton, RI Woods, AJ Bond, J Milititsky, Earth pressure and earth-retaining structures Second Edition, Taylor & Francis, London and New York, pp. 412.
- Korea Rail Network Authority (2014) Design Guideline and Handbook of Railway.
- Greco, V.R. (2001) Active earth thrust on cantilever walls with short heel, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 38(2), pp. 401-409. https://doi.org/10.1139/t00-094
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (2005) Guidlines of Port and Fishing port.
- Kamimura, M., Truong, T.K. (2013) Relationships between N value and parameters of ground strength in the South of Vietnam, Geotechnics for sustainable development, Publisher of Construction, Hanoi, pp. 1-7.
- Terzaghi, K., Peck, R.B. (1948, 1967) Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice, (First and Sencond Edition), John Wiley and Sons, New York, pp. 137-165.
- Y.S. Lim, J.U. Lee, J.K. Hwang, M.Y. Park (2011) Characteristics of Resilient Modulus of Reinforced-Roadbed Materials Using Large Repetitive Triaxial Test, Autumn Conference of Korean Society for Railway, Jeju, pp. 1115-1122.
- Sowers, G.F. (1953) Modern procedures for underground investigations, Proceedings of American Society of Civil Engineers, 80(5), pp. 1-11.
- Sowers, G.F. (1962) Earth and Rockfill Dan Engineering, Asia Publishing House, Published under the auspices of the Water Resources Development Training Center, Unicersity of Roorkee, India, pp. 124-155.
- Ushiro T., Nisimura H. (2009) Application of theory to the Coulomb cantilevered retaining wall, Technical Research Conference, Soil Mechanics Society at Sikoku.
- Ushiro T, Tsutsui H., Kataoka H. (1991a) Study on earth pressure evaluation method of reverse T-shaped retaining wall, Geotechnical Research Society 3rd workshop at Kochi Hyun, pp. 44-47.
- Ushiro T, Tsutsui H., Kataoka H., Okura M., Jushi N. (1991b) A proposal on the earth pressure evaluation method of reverse T-shaped retaining wall, Technical Research Conference, Soil Mechanics Society at Sikoku, pp.39-40.