- Volume 14 Issue 1
In this paper, we develop a 94-GHz single balanced mixer with low conversion loss using planar Schottky diodes on a GaAs substrate. The GaAs Schottky diode has a nanoscale anode with a T-shaped disk that can yield high cutoff frequency characteristics. The fabricated Schottky diode with an anode diameter of 500 nm has a series resistance of 21 Ω, an ideality factor of 1.32, a junction capacitance of 8.03 fF, and a cutoff frequency of 944 GHz. Based on this technology, a 94-GHz single balanced mixer was constructed. The fabricated mixer shows an average conversion loss of -7.58 dB at an RF frequency of 92.5 GHz to 95 GHz and an IF frequency of 500 MHz with an LO power of 7 dBm. The RF-to-LO isolation characteristics were greater than -32 dB. These values are considered to be attributed to superior Schottky diode characteristics.
Anode;GaAs;Nanoscale dot;Schottky diode;Single balanced mixer
- S. A. Maas, Microwave Mixers, 2nd ed. Boston, MA: Artech House, 1993.
- C. Florian, F. Scappaviva, M. Feudale, V. A. Monaco, and F. Filicori, "A V band singly balanced diode mixer for space application," in Proceedings of European Gallium Arsenide and Other Semiconductor Application Symposium (EGAAS2005), Paris, pp. 441-444, 2005.
- Z. Y. Zhang, Y. R. Wei, and K. Wu, “Broadband millimeter-wave single balanced mixer and its applications to substrate integrated wireless systems,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 660-669, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2011.2172808
- U. V. Bhapkar and T. W. Crowe, “Analysis of the high frequency series impedance of GaAs Schottky diodes by a finite difference technique,” IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 886-894, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/22.137394
- T. W. Crowe, W. C. B. Peatman, P. A. D. Wood, and X. Liu, "GaAs Schottky barrier diodes for THz applications," in Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Albuquerque, NM, pp. 1141-1144, 1992.
- K. K. Ryu, S. C. Kim, D. An, and J. K. Rhee, “High-performance CPW MMIC LNA using GaAs-based metamorphic HEMTs for 94-GHz applications,” Journal of the Korean Physical Society, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 1509-1513, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3938/jkps.56.1509
- M. K. Lee, B. O. Lim, S. J. Lee, D. S. Ko, S. W. Moon, D. An, et al., “A novel 94-GHz MHEMT-based diode mixer using a 3-dB tandem coupler,” IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 626-628, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2008.2002466
- K. Kanaya, K. Kawakami, T. Hisaka, T. Ishikawa, and S. Sakamoto, "A 94 GHz high performance quadruple subharmonic mixer MMIC," in Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S Interntional Microwave Symposium Digest, Seattle, WA, pp. 1249-1252, 2002.
- A. R. Barnes, P. Munday, R. Jennings, and M. T. Moore, "A comparison of W-band monolithic resistive mixer architectures," in Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Seattle, WA, pp. 1867-1870, 2002.
- H. Matsuura, K. Tezyka, I. Aoki, A. Miura, M. Yamanaka, T. Yakihara, et al., "A monolithic W-band CPW rat-race mixer with HBT IF amplifier," in Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, San Francisco, CA, pp. 389-392, 1996.