- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Compact Top-View Conformal Optical System Based on a Single Rotating Cylindrical Lens with Wide Field of Regard
- Received : 2015.10.15
- Accepted : 2016.01.07
- Published : 2016.02.25
A new compact conformal dome optical system was established, and the aberration characteristics of the dome were investigated using Zernike aberration theory. The aberrations induced by the dome at different fields of regard (FORs) from 30° to 100° were effectively balanced by a rotating cylindrical lens. This kind of optical system can be widely used in top-view optical searching devices. A design method was introduced and the optimization results analyzed in detail. The results showed that the Zernike aberrations produced by the conformal dome were decreased dramatically. Also, a complete conformal optical system was designed, to further illustrate the aberration correction effect of the rotating cylindrical lens. Using a cylindrical lens not only provided a large FOR, but also simplified enormously the structure of the conformal optical system.
Optical design;Conformal dome;Infrared catadioptric;Aspherical
- D. Knapp, “Fundamentals of conformal missile dome design,” OSA/IODC IWB1, 168-169 (2002).
- N. Zhao, "Summarize of conformal optics," Proc. SPIE 6624, 1-7 (2008).
- J. Chang, L. P. Liu, D. W. Cheng, and N. Zhao, “Design of infrared optical system with special dome,” J. Infrared Millim. Waves 28, 204-206 (2009). https://doi.org/10.3724/SP.J.1010.2009.00204
- S. W. Sparrold, “Conformal dome correction with counterrotating phase plates,” Opt. Eng. 39, 1822-1829 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.602564
- C. E. Leroux, A. Tzschachmann, and J. C. Dainty, “Pupil matching of Zernike aberrations,” Opt. Express 18, 21567-21572 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.18.021567
- Y. M. Liu, J. Ma, H. P. Ma, and X. Z. Jiang, "Zernike aberration characteristics of precision conformal optical windows," Proc. SPIE 7544, 1-7 (2010).
- Y. Li, L. Li, Y. F. Huang, and J. G. Liu, “Conformal optical design with combination of static and dynamic aberration corrections,” Chin. Phys. B 18, 565-570 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1088/1674-1056/18/2/030
- S. W. Sparrold, "Arch corrector for conformal optical systems," Proc. SPIE 3705, 189-203 (1999).
- M. R. Whalen, "Correcting variable third order astigmatism introduced by conformal aspheric surfaces," Proc. SPIE 3482, 32-37 (1999).
- P. Liebetraut, S. Petsch, J. Liebeskind, and H. Zappe, "Elastomeric lenses with tunable astigmatism," Light: Science & Applications 2, e98 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1038/lsa.2013.54
- S. Pechprasarn, B. Zhang, D. Albutt, J. Zhang, and M. Somekh, "Ultrastable embedded surface plasmon confocal interferometry," Light: Science & Applications 3, e187 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1038/lsa.2014.68
- Optimized design method for the inner surface of a conformal dome based on the ray tracing approach vol.56, pp.29, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.56.008230