- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Quality Enhancement of a Complex Holographic Display Using a Single Spatial Light Modulator and a Circular Grating
Bang, Le Thanh;Piao, Yan Ling;Kim, Jong Jae;Kim, Nam
- Received : 2015.10.15
- Accepted : 2015.12.08
- Published : 2016.02.25
This paper proposes an optical system for complex holographic display that enhances the quality of the reconstructed three-dimensional image. This work focuses on a new design for an optical system and the evaluation of the complex holographic display, using a single spatial light modulator (SLM) and a circular grating. The optical system is based on a 4-f system in which the imaginary and real information of the hologram is displayed on concentric rectangular areas of the SLM and circular grating. Thus, this method overcomes the lack of accuracy in the pixel positions between two window holograms in previous studies, and achieves a higher intensity of the real object points of the reconstructed hologram than the original phase-reconstructed hologram. The proposed method provides approximately 30% less NMRS (Normal Root Mean Square) error, compared to previous systems, which is verified by both simulation and optical experiment.
Holographic recording;Holography;Holographic interferometry;Displays
- J. Park, M. Kim, B. Ganbat, and N. Kim, “Fresnel and Fourier hologram generation using orthographic projection images,” Opt. Express 17, 6320-6334 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.17.006320
- G. Mills and I. Yamaguchi, “Effects of quantization in phase-shifting digital holography,” Appl. Opt. 44, 1216-1225 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.44.001216
- B. Javidi and E. Tajahuerce, “Three-dimensional object recognition by use of digital holography,” Opt. Lett. 25, 610-612 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.25.000610
- J. Li, Y. Li, Y. Wang, K. Li, R. Li, J. Li, and Y. Pan, “Two-step holographic imaging method based on single-pixel compressive imaging,” J. Opt. Soc. Korea 18, 146-150 (2014). https://doi.org/10.3807/JOSK.2014.18.2.146
- K. Lee, S. Jeung, and N. Kim, “Holographic demultiplexer with low polarization dependence loss using photopolymer diffraction gratings,” J. Opt. Soc. Korea 11, 51-54 (2007). https://doi.org/10.3807/JOSK.2007.11.2.051
- R. Tudela, E. Badosa, I. Labastida, and A. Carnicer, “Full complex Fresnel holograms displayed on liquid crystal devices,” J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt. 5, S1-S6 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1088/1464-4258/5/4/001
- L. Neto, D. Roberge, and Y. Sheng, “Full-range, continuous, complex modulation by the use of two coupled-mode liquid-crystal televisions,” Appl. Opt. 35, 4567-4576 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.35.004567
- N. Arellano, G. Zurita, C. Fabian, and J. Castillo, “Phase shifts in the Fourier spectra of phase gratings and phase grids: an application for one-shot phase-shifting interferometry,” Opt. Express 16, 19330-19341 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.16.019330
- E. Ulusoy, L. Onural, and H. Ozaktas, “Full-complex amplitude modulation with binary spatial light modulators,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 28, 2310-2321 (2011).
- J. Liu, W. Hsieh, T. Poon, and P. Tsang, “Complex Fresnel hologram display using a single SLM,” Appl. Opt. 50, H128-H135 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.50.00H128
- S. Reichelt, R. Hausler, G. Futterer, N. Leister, H. Kato, N. Usukura, and Y. Kanbayashi, “Full-range, complex spatial light modulator for real-time holography,” Opt. Lett. 37, 1955-1957 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.37.001955
- M. Spiegel, S. Lipschutz, and J. Liu, Mathematical Handbook of Formulas and Tables (McGraw Hill, NY, USA, 2009), p. 155.
- J. W. Goodman, Introduction to Fourier Optics (McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 1996), pp. 32-55.
- M. Stein and G. Weiss, Introduction to Fourier Analysis on Euclindean Spaces (Princeton University Press, NJ, USA, 1971), pp. 133-172.
- C. Stolz, L. Bigue, and P. Ambs, “Implementation of high-resolution diffractive optical elements on coupled phase and amplitude spatial light modulators,” Appl. Opt. 40, 6415-6424 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.40.006415
- Fast calculation method of computer-generated hologram using a depth camera with point cloud gridding vol.411, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2017.11.040
- Complex object wave extraction using time-multiplexing in off-axis digital holography vol.57, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.57.000A50
- Compact see-through 3D head-mounted display based on wavefront modulation with holographic grating filter vol.25, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.25.008412
- Three-dimensional visualization system for ophthalmic microscopes using visible light and near-infrared illumination 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jbio.201600268