- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Improving GPS Vertical Error Using Barometric Altimeter
기압 고도계를 이용한 GPS 수직오차 개선
Kim, La-Woo;Choi, Kwang-Ho;Lim, Joon-Hoo;Yoo, Won-Jae;Lee, Hyung-Keun
- Received : 2016.01.13
- Accepted : 2016.02.11
- Published : 2016.02.28
Accuracy of GPS (global positioning system) deteriorates dramatically or positioning is impossible in urban area occasionally since high-rise buildings and elevated roads make the reception of navigation signal very difficult so that number of visible satellites decreases. In these cases, vertical error usually becomes much larger than the horizontal error due to the intrinsic geometry of GPS satellites. To obtain more accurate and reliable height information, this paper proposes a hybrid method that combines GPS and a low-cost barometric altimeter. In the proposed method, the sea-level pressure and the sea-surface temperature are applied to the output of the altimeter. Next, the difference between the ellipsoid and the geoid is compensated. Finally, a simple Kalman filter combines the compensated barometric altitude and the GPS height. By static and car experiments, performance of the proposed method is evaluated. By the experiment results, it can be seen that the proposed method improves the altitude accuracy considerably.
GPS;Barometric altimeter;Vertical error;Kalman filter
- N. H. Kim, C. H. Park, "A barometric altitude sensor and GPS altitude system fusion by using Kalman filter," in Proceeding of the 36th Institute of Electronics Engineers of Korea (IEEK), Jeju: Korea pp. 549-551, July 2013.
- V. Zaliva and F. Franchetti, "Barometric and GPS altitude sensor fusion," in Proceeding of the 2014 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Florence: Italy, pp. 7525-7529, May 2014.
- H. Yoo, S. B. Chun, C. B. Kwon, Y. J. Lee, G. I. Jee, H. S. Jun and J. M. Joo, "Altitude estimation improvement in DGPS using barometric altitude sensors," Journal of The Korean Society for Aeronautical & Sciences, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 89-94, Jan. 2006.
- K. H. Park, A Fusion of GPS and baro-altimeter for stabilizing vertical channel, M.S. dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul, Feb. 2003.
- Bosch Sensortec Gmbh, BMP180 Digital pressure sensor data sheet, BOSCH Sensortec, Reutlingen, BST-BMP180-DS000-09, April 2013.
- Korea Meteorological Administration [Online]. Available: http://www.kma.go.kr/weather/observation/aws_table_popup.jsp
- National Geographic Information Institute [Online]. Available:http://ngii.go.kr
- Navigation & Information Systems Laboratory (NISL) [Online]. Available: http://nisl.kau.ac.kr/GAFAS.zip
Supported by : 산업통상자원부