- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Alternative Positioning, Navigation, and Timing Applicable to Domestic PBN Implementation
국내 PBN 이행을 위한 대안 항법 적용 방안
Kim, Mu-Geun;Kang, Ja-Young;Chang, Jae-Ho
- Received : 2016.01.31
- Accepted : 2016.02.19
- Published : 2016.02.28
Republic of Korea has established its performance-based navigation (PBN) implementation plan in 2010 for ensuring a smooth transition to PBN operations and relevant new flight procedures are being developed in accordance with the roadmap. Various Navigation aids (NAVAIDs) like global navigation satellite systems (GNSS), distance measuring equipment (DME), VHF omnidirectional range (VOR), inertial navigation system (INS) are used to support PBN procedures. Among them, GNSS would play a central role in PBN implementation. However, vulnerability of satellite navigation signals to artificial and natural interferences has been discovered and various alternative positioning, navigation and timing (APNT) technologies are under development in many countries. In this paper, we study whether continuous PBN operations can be achievable without GNSS signals. As a result, it shows that some of the domestic airports require the construction of APNT in the approach area.
Aeronautical information publication;Alternative positioning;Navigation and timing;Global navigation satellite systems;Navigation aid;Performance-based navigation
- The National Space-Based Positioning, Navigation, and Timing (PNT) Advisory Board, "Jamming the global positioning systems national security threat: recent events and potential cures," p. 6, 2010. [Internet]. Available: http://www.gps.gov/governance/advisory/recommendations/2010-11-jammingwhitepaper.pdf
- C. D. Kee, "Alternative position, navigation, and timing," CNS TODAY, pp. 52-60, Dec. 2014.
- S. H. Jo, S. E. Kang, J. Y. Kang, and S. H. Ko, "The GNSS alternative PNT requirements and technology analyses," Journal of the Korean Society for Aviation and Aeronautics, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 28-34, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12985/ksaa.2012.20.3.028
- ICAO Doc 9613, "Performance-based navigation manual," Advance fourth edition, 2013.
- EUROCONTROL "Introducing performance based navigation (PBN) and advanced RNP (A-RNP)," p. 13, 2013.
- ICAO PBN/TF/9 - IP/03 "PBN implementation status and future plan(presented by the republic of Korea)," Mar. 2012.
- Republic of Korea Aeronautical Information Publication, Oct., 2015.
- MLIT Republic of Korea established rule no. 235 "PBN operation guide", 2012.
- ICAO Annex10, "Aeronautical telecommunications Vol. 1", pp. 1-3-3-70, 2006.
- S. Lo, "Pseudolite alternatives for alternate positioning, navigation, and timing (APNT)," FAA GNSS Library, pp. 9-13, 2012. [Internet]. Available: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/gnss/library/documents/APNT/media/APNT_Pseudolite_WhitePaper_Final.pdf
- National Maritime PNT Office. [Internet]. Available: http://www.ndgps.go.kr/html/kr/gnsys/gnsys_050501.html
- National Maritime PNT Office. [Internet]. Available: http://www.ndgps.go.kr/html/kr/gnsys/gnsys_050503.html
- S. Lo, Y. H. Chen, S. Zhang, and P. Enge, "Hybrid APNT: terrestrial radionavigation to support future aviation needs," in The Institute of Navigation GNSS+ 2014 Conference, Tampa: FL, pp. 3029-3033.
- L. Eldredge, P. Enge, M. Harrison, R. Kenagy, S. Lo, R. Loh, R. Lilly, M. Narins, and R. Niles, "Alternative positioning, navigation & timing (PNT) study," ICAO Navigation System Panel(NSP) Working Group Meeting, Montreal, Canada, 2010, pp. 5-6. [Internet]. Available: http://waas.stanford.edu/papers/Eldredge_ICAO_2010_NSP-Flimsy-May-2010-2.pdf
- S. H. Jo, J. Y. Kang, "Alternative positioning, navigation, and timing using multilateration in a terminal area," Journal of the Korean Society for Aviation and Aeronautics, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 35-41, 2015. https://doi.org/10.12985/ksaa.2015.23.3.035
- Future Aeronautical Communications LDACS1. [Internet]. Available: http://www.ldacs.com/ldacs1-navigation/concept/