- Volume 18 Issue 1
Purpose: This study aimed to identify the relationship among knowledge, attitudes and prevention behaviors (PB) on tuberculosis (Tb) infection in nursing students. Methods: 268 subjects were recruited from two universities located in C D cities of Korea and data were collected utilizing self-reported questionnaires. Results: The mean scores of knowledge, attitudes and PB on Tb infection were 64.83, 3.18 and 2.97. The knowledge differed according to gender (t=-3.16, p=.002), grades (F=32.19, p<.001), educational experience about Tb (EETb) (F=10.59, p<.001), learning information about Tb (t=3.08, p=.002) and getting Tb: self or others (t=2.78, p=.006). The attitudes differed according to grades (F=7.71, p<.001) and EETb (F=2.68, p=.047). The PB differed according to grades (F=7.02, p<.001) and EETb (F=4.55, p=.004). Significant correlations were found between knowledge and PB (r=.20, p=001), attitudes and PB (r=.33, p<.001). The most significant factor influencing PB was attitudes with R2 value of 13.9% (F=11.81, p<.001). Conclusion: These findings indicate that knowledge and attitude adjustment may be necessary to improve PB for Tb infection in nursing students. Moreover further study is necessary to find out the ways to reinforce the level of attitudes. The results of the study can be utilized in educational programs for preventing Tb infection in nursing students.
- Kim HJ. Current status of tuberculosis in Korea. The Korean Journal of Medicine, 2012;82(3):257-262. http://dx.doi.org/10.4046/trd.2006.60.4.404 https://doi.org/10.3904/kjm.2012.82.3.257
- World Health Organization. Global Tuberculosis Report 2015[Intrnet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2015 [cited 2015 Jan 2]. Available from: http://www.who.int/tb/publications/global_report/en/.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Occurrence of Tuberculosis [Internet]. Oseong: Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; 2016 [cited 2015 Feb 15]. Available from: http://tbsas.cdc.go.kr.
- Kim HS, Oh EG, Hyung HK, Cho ES. A study on factors influencing health promotion lifestyle in college students. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2008;19(3):506-520.
- Chon MY, Kim MH, Cho CM. Predictors of health promoting lifestyles in Korean undergraduate students. Journal of Korean Society for Health Education and Promotion. 2002;19(2):1-13.
- Steptoe A, Wardle J, Cui W, Bellisle F, Zotti A-M, Baranyai R, et al. Trends in smoking, diet, physical exercise and attitudes toward health in european university students from13 countries, 1999-2000. Preventive Medicine. 2002;35(2):97-104. http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2002.1048 https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2002.1048
- Yoo JS, Chang SJ, Choi EK, Park JW. Development of a stress scale for Korean nursing students, Journal of Korean Academy Nursing. 2008;38(3):410-419. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.410
- Koh KB. Stress and immunity. The Korean Journal of Stress Research. 2008;16(2): 151-159.
- Jo KW, Hon Y, Park JS, Bae IG, Eom JS, Lee SR, et al. Prevalence of latent tuberculosis infection among health care workers in South Korea: A multicenter study. Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases. 2013;75(1):18-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.4046/trd.2013.75.1.18 https://doi.org/10.4046/trd.2013.75.1.18
- Kim GL, Choi ES, Recognition and performance for management for nosocomial infections among nursing students. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2005;11(3):232-240.
- Kang JO. Occupational infections of health care personnel in Korea. Hanyang Medical Reviews. 2011;31(3):200-210. http://dx.doi.org/10.7599/hmr.2011.31.3.200 https://doi.org/10.7599/hmr.2011.31.3.200
- Kilinc O, Ucan ES, Cakan MDA, Ellidokuz MDH, Ozol MDD, Sayiner A, et al. Risk of tuberculosis among healthcare workers: Can tuberculosis be considered as an occupational disease? Respiratory Medicine. 2002;96(7):506-510. http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/rmed.2002.1315 https://doi.org/10.1053/rmed.2002.1315
- Skodric-Trifunovic V, Markovic-Denic L, Nagorni-Obradobic L, Vlajinac H, Woeltje KF. The risk of occupational tuberculosis in Serbian health care workers. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. 2009;13(5):640-644.
- Hong SY, Kwon YS, Park HS. Nursing students' awareness and performance on standard precautions of infection control in the hospital. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2012;18(2):293-302. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.293
- Sung YH, Nam HG. The study of the knowledge and performance of nursing students for the nosocomial infection control. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 2006;15(1):40-48.
- Mussi TVF, Traldi MC, Talarico N. Knowledge as a factor in vulnerability to tuberculosis among nursing students and professionals. Revista da Escola de Enfermagem da USP. 2012;46(3):696-703. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0080-62342012000300023
- Zhao Y, Ehiri J, Li D, Luo X, Li Y. A survey of TB knowledge among medical students in Southwest China: Is the information reaching the target? BMJ Open. 2013;3:1-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2013-003454
- Akin S, Gorak G, Unsar S, Mollaoglu M, Ozdilli K, Durna Z. Knowledge of and attitudes toward tuberculosis of Turkish nursing and midwifery students. Nurse Education Today. 2011;31(8):774-779. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.12.019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.12.019
- Lee IS. The knowledge & attitude on tuberculosis for the nursing students in Daejeon, South Korea and Yanbien, China. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2015;15(11):274-288. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.11.274 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.11.274
- Park MS. Study on knowledge, attitude and practice of the high school student about tuberculosis [master's thesis]. Busan: Inje University; 2008. p. 1-42.
- Cha MS. The knowledge, attitude and prevention about tuberculosis for the high school students [master's thesis]. Daegu: Keimyung University; 2012. p. 1-48.
- Oh JE, Jeon GS, Jang KS. Tuberculosis-related knowledge, attitude and preventive behaviors among middle school students. Journal Korean Society of School Health 2015;28(3):177-187. https://doi.org/10.15434/kssh.2015.28.3.177
- Yang MJ. A study on knowledge, attitude, awareness, and performance of tuberculosis for nurses who work in a department that has high risk of tuberculosis in general hospitals [master's thesis]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 2014. p. 1-77.
- Ma E, Ren L, Wang W, Takahashi H, Wagatsuma Y, Ren Y, et al. Demographic and socioeconomic disparity in knowledge about tuberculosis in inner Mongolia, China. The Journal of Epidemiology. 2015;25(4):312-320. http://dx.doi.org/10.2188/jea.JE20140033 https://doi.org/10.2188/jea.JE20140033
- Lee BK, Lee YJ. The impact of television public campaign for preventing tuberculosis: An application of propensity score matching. Korean Journal of Journalism and Communication Studies. 2014;58(4):157-182.