- Volume 18 Issue 1
Purpose: This study was to examine the effects of a footbath program on heart rate variability, blood pressure, body temperature and fatigue of stroke patients with stroke-induced hemiparesis. Methods: A non-equivalent control group pretest-posttest design was used. Participants were 40 stroke patients, twenty for the footbath program and twenty for the control group, who were hospitalized in a long-term rehabilitation hospital in G city of Korea, from February to April 2014. The twenty participants in the experimental group received the intervention of footbaths and an educational program focused on the prevention of stroke complications; Collected data were analyzed by the IBM SPSS WIN 20.0 program using a t-test,
- Clinical Research Center for Stroke. Clinical Practice Guidelines for Stroke [Internet]. Seoul: Biomedical Research Institute; 2010 [cited 2015 Jul 30]. Available from: http://www.stroke-crc.or.kr for more information.
- Korean Stoke Society. Clinical Practice Guidelines for Stroke[Internet]. Seoul: Clinical Research Center For Stroke; 2010 Jul 30 [cited 2015 Jul 30]. Available from: http://www.stroke.or.kr/search/index.php?search_key=Clinical+Practice+Guidelines+for+Stroke.
- Vistisen ST, Hansen TK, Jensen J, Nielsen JF, Fleischer J. Heart rate variability in neurorehabilitation patients with severe acquired brain injury. Journal of Brain Injury, 2014;28(2):196-202. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/02699052.2013.860477 https://doi.org/10.3109/02699052.2013.860477
- Markil N, Whitehurst M, Jacobs PL, Zoeller R. Yoga nidra relaxation increases heart rate variability and is unaffected by a prior bout of hatha-yoga. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2012;18(10):953-958. http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/acm.2011.0331 https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2011.0331
- Furie KI, Kasner SE, Adams RJ, Albers GW, Bush RI, Fagan SC, et al. Guidelines for the prevention of stroke in patients with stroke or transient ischemic attack: A guideline for healthcare professionals from the american heart association/American stroke association. Stroke. 2011;42(1):227-276. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/STR.0b013e3181f7d043 https://doi.org/10.1161/STR.0b013e3181f7d043
- Lawes CM, Bennett DA, Feigin VL, Rodgers A. Blood pressure and stroke: An overview of Published reviews. Stroke. 2004;35(3):776-785. http://dx.doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000116869.64771.5A https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000116869.64771.5A
- Katz-Leurer M, Shochina M. Heart rate variability (HRV) parameters correlate with motor impairment and aerobic capacity in stroke patients. Journal of Neuro Rehabilitation. 2005;20(2):91-95.
- Lerdal A, Bakken LN, Rasmussen EF, Beiermann C, Ryen S, Pynten S, et al. Physical impairment, depressive symptoms and pre-stroke fatigue are related to fatigue in the acute phase after stroke. Journal of Disability and Rehabilitation. 2011;33(4):334-342. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/09638288.2010.490867 https://doi.org/10.3109/09638288.2010.490867
- Kang HS, Sok SR, Kang JS. Comparision of the effects of meridian massage and hand massage on the affected upper extremity of stroke patients. Journal of Korean Academic Fundamental Nursing. 2007;14(3):270-279.
- Mohammadpour A, Dehnoalian A, Mojtabavi J. Effect of foot reflexology on blood pressure in patients with stroke. The Journal of Faculty of Nursing & Midwifery, Tehran University of Medical Sciences. 2013;19(1):1-13.
- Matsumoto S, Shimodozone M, Etoh S, Shimozono N, Tanaka N, Kawahira K. Beneficial effects of footbaths in controllingspasticity after stroke. International Journal of Biometerology. 2010;54(4):465-473. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00484-009-0300-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s00484-009-0300-x
- Yoon SY, Kwon MG. The effect of foot bath therapy on post-operation pain, stress, HRV in hand raplantation patients. Journal of Occupational Health Nursing. 2011;20(2):105-112. http://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.2.105 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.2.105
- Lim SE, Lee IH. Effect of the foot bath therapy on changes of muscle strength and skin temperature and satisfaction after the foot bath therapy of women's. Journal of The Korean Society of Sthetics and Cosmeceutics. 2007;2(4):55-66.
- Miyazato K, Matsukaw K. Decreased cardiac parasympatheticnerve activity of pregnant women during footbath. Japanese Journal of Nursing Science. 2010;7(1):65-75. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-7924.2010.00136.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-7924.2010.00136.x
- Nicolini P, Ciulla M, Asmundis CD, Magrini F, Brugada P. The prognostic value of heart rate variability in the elderly, changing the perspective: From sympathetic balance to chaos theory. Journal of Pacing and Clinical Electrophysilogy. 2012;35(5):622-638. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-8159.2012.03335.x.
- Yang SH, Son YH, Beak HJ, Won JS, Yoo JH, Jeon MY, et al. Fundamentals of nursing. Seoul: Hyunmoonsa; 2009. p. 104-148.
- Kang DH. Physiology. 4th ed. Seoul: ShinKwang Publishing Company; 1992. p. 10-20.
- Hart L, Freel M, Milde F. Fatigue. Nursing Clinics of North America.1990;25(4): 967-976.
- Krupp LB, LaRocca NG, Muri-Nash J, Steinberg AD. The fatigue severity scale. Application to patient with multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus. Archives of Neurology. 1989;46(10):1121-1123. https://doi.org/10.1001/archneur.1989.00520460115022
- Chung KI, Song CH. Clinical usefulness of fatigue severity scale for patients with fatigue, and anxiety or depression. Journal of Korean Psychosomatic Medicine. 2001;9(2):164-173.
- Yoo EK, Jeon SH, Yang JE. The effects of a support group intervention on the burden of primary family caregivers of stroke patients. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing. 2007;37(5):693-702. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.5.693
- Yamamoto K. The effects of wrapped warm footbath on the autonomic nervous and psychoneuroimmunological activities in terminal cancer inpatients. Oncology Nursing Forum. 2009;36(3):37.
- Hu Q, Zhu W, Zhu Y, Zheng L, Hughson RL. Acute effects of warm footbath on arterial stiffness in healthy young and older women. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2012;112(4):1261-1268. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00421-011-2066-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-011-2066-1
- Lee WC, Min KK, Sakong SC. Effect of human biosignal according as foot was heating with hot water. Journal of Electronic and Information Engineers. 2006;43(1):5-15.
- Xu FH, Uebaba K. Temperature dependent circulatory changes by footbath-changes of systemic, cerebral and peripheral circulation. Japanese Journal Physical Medicine Balneology Climatology. 2003;66(4):214-226. http://doi.org/10.11390/onki1962.66.214
- Jang NS, Kim YS, Park YW, Jung SH, Lee HG, Beak HS, et al. Human physiology. Seoul: Soomoonsa Publishing Company; 2008. p. 55-105.
- Jung ES. The effect of foot bathing on core temperature and sleep pattern in elderly [dissertation]. Gwangju: Chonnam National University; 2009. p. 1-106.
- Sung EJ, Tochihara T. Effects of bathing and hot footbath on sleep in winter. Journal of Physiology Anthropol Applied Human Science. 2000;19(1):21-27. http://doi.org/10.2114/jpa.19.21 https://doi.org/10.2114/jpa.19.21
- McGill DJ, Mackay IR. The effect of ambient temperature on capillary vascular malformations. British Journal of Dermatology. 2006;154(5):896-903. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2133.2005.07124.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2133.2005.07124.x
- Park YS. Effects of foot bath on fatigue subjective symptoms of nurses' [master's thesis]. Daegu: Kyungpook University; 2011. p.1-46.