- Volume 37 Issue 1
Objective: The purpose of this study was to confirm if there are gender differences in influences of parental support, control, and school life adjustment on suicidal ideation of adolescents and to examine the mediating effect of depression on the influences of independent variables on their suicidal ideation. Methods: This study comprised a total of 671 students in seventh and eighth grades in Seoul and Gyeonggi-do. The data were analyzed for frequency, average, and standard deviation, using the t-test, Pearson's correlation analysis, stepwise regression analysis, hierarchical multiple regression analysis, and the Sobel test. Results and Conclusion: First, significant differences among adolescents' gender were shown in fathers' psychological control, mothers' behavior control, and suicidal ideation. Second, in the case of male adolescents, all independent variables were found to have a full mediating effect on their suicidal ideation. Meanwhile, in the case of female adolescents, independent variables except for mothers' psychological control were found to have a full mediating effect on their suicidal ideation. Mothers' psychological control was found to have a partial mediating effect on suicidal ideation of adolescents for both genders.
Suicidal ideation in adolescents;Parental support and control;School life adjustment;Depression
- Barber, B. K. (1996). Parental psychological control: Revisiting a neglected construct. Child Development, 67(6), 3296-3319. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131780
- Barber, B. K., Olsen, J. E., & Shagle, S. C. (1994). Associations between parental psychological and behavior control and youth internalized and externalized behaviors. Child Development, 65(4), 1120-1136. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131309
- Barber, B. K., Stoltz, H. E., & Olsen, J. A. (2005). Parental support, psychological control, and behavioral control: Assessing relevance acrosstime, culture, and method. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 70(4), 1-137. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5834.2005.00365.x
- Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- Carlson, G. A., & Cantwell, D. P. (1982). Suicidal behavior and depression in children and adolescents. Journal of the American Academy of child Psychiatry, 21(4), 361-368. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-7138(09)60939-0
- Caron, A, L., Weiss, B., & Harris, V. (2003, April). A meta-analysis of parentral behavioral, psychological control and adolescent adjustment. Poster presented at the 70th Society for Research on Child Development, Tempa, FL.
- Chang, Y. A., & Park, J. H. (2008). The effect of parenting behavior, parent-child communication on children's school adjustment. Journal of the Korean Academy of Social Welfare, 13(2), 69-85.
- Cole, D. A. (1989). Psychopathology of adolescent suicide: Hopelessness, coping beliefs, and depression. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 98(3), 361-368.
- Han. Y. J. (1993). Child and adolescents' depressive disposition, attributional style and school grades (Unpublished master's thesis). Seoul University, Seoul, Korea.
- Hong. N. M. (1998). (The) effects of parental abuse and peer victimization on adolescent's suicidal ideation: The mediating pathway of interpersonal needs and hopelessness (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Jo, Y. S. (2008). Adolescent's psychological characteristics, family environment and school maladjustment that affect suicidal ideators (Unpublished master's thesis). Dong-A University, Busan, Korea.
- Jung, Y. J. (2004). Moderator effects of children's sex and peer acceptance = children's perceptions of mothers' psychological control and children's behavior problems. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 25(6), 205-223.
- Kim, A. Y. (2002). Development of standardized student motivation scales. Journal of Educational Evaluation, 15(1), 157-184.
- Kim, H. I. (2010). The effects of parental psychological control, dysfunctional perfectionism, and self-conscious emotions on depression in adolescents (Unpublished master's thesis). Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, J. M. (2013). The effect of parental psychological control and moral disengagement on children's participant role behavior in a bullying situations (Unpublished master's thesis). Myoungji University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, S. H. (2009). The relations between parenting behaviors and adolescents' self-esteem: The mediating role of adolescents' attachment toward parents and peers (Unpublished master's thesis). Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Korea Institute for Youth Development. (2006). The adolescents problem. Seoul, Korea: Korea Institute for Youth Development.
- Korea Youth Counseling & Welfare Institute. (2007). Great debate for adolescents' suicide prevention, preparation plan. Busan, Korea: Korea Youth Counseling & Welfare Institute.
- Kovacs, M. (1983). The children's depression inventory: A self-rating depression scale for school-aged youngsters. Unpublished manuscript, University of Pittsburgh.
- Lee, E. H., & Ko, Y. J. (2004). Children's friendship and selfperception in relation to peer bullying and victimization. Journal of the Korean Children, 25(4), 1-16.
- Lee, H. Y. (2010). The effect of academic stress and social support on adolescents' suicidal thought (Unpublished master's thesis). Shilla University, Busan, Korea.
- Lee, J. E. (1996). The effect of depression and self-focus on the selfperception, social support, coping behavior (Unpublished master's thesis). Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, J. H. (2008). (The)mediating and moderating effects of attachment and cognitive distortions on the relationship between academic stress and suicidal ideation among adolescents (Unpublished master's thesis). Sungshin Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, M. J. (2010). Parental control and children's autonomy as related to children's self-esteem (Unpublished master's thesis). Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Liu, X., & Tein, J. (2005). Life events, psychopathology and suicidal behavior in chinese adolescents. Journal of Affective Disorders, 86(2-3), 195-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2005.01.016
- O'carroll, P., Berman, A., Maris, R. W., & Moscicki, E. (1996). Beyond the Tower of Babel: A nomenclature for suicidology. Suicide Life-Threatening Behaviors, 26(3), 237-252.
- Oh, H. A. (2006). The effects of parent-adolescent communication and depression on the suicide ideation (Unpublished master's thesis). Chung Ang University, Seoul, Korea.
- Park, B. K. (2007). Factors associated with adolescents' suicidal ideation: Focus on self-esteem and depression as mediators. Korean Living Science Association, 16(3), 505-522.
- Park, J. K. (2001). (The) relations of the maternal monitoring and information sources of parental knowledge to externalizing and internalizing behaviors of adolescents (Unpublished master's thesis). Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea.
- Reinherz, H. Z., Tanner, J. L., Berger, S. R., Beardslee, W. R., & Fitzmaurice, G. M. (2006). Adolescent suicidal ideation as predictive of psychopathology, suicidal behavior, and compromised functioning at age 30. Am J Psychiatry, 163, 1226-1232. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.2006.163.7.1226
- Reynolds, W. M. (1987). Suicidal Ideation Questionnaire (SIQ): Professional manual. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resource, Inc.
- Shaffer, D., Gould, M. S., Fisher, P., Trautman, P., Moreau, D., Kleinman, M., & Flory, M. (1996). Psychiatric diagnosis in child and adolescent suicide. Archives of General Psychiatry, 53(4), 339-348. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1996.01830040075012
- Simons, A. D., Murphy, G. E., Levine, J. L., & Wetzel, R. D. (1986). Cognitive therapy and pharmacotherapy for depression: Sustained improvement over one year. Archive General Psychiatry, 43, 43-48. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1986.01800010045006
- Sin, M. S. (1992). (An) empirical study of the mechanism of suicide: Validation of the scale for escape from the self (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea.
- Sobel, M. E. (1982). Asymptotic confidence intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models. In S. Leinhardt (Ed.), Sociological methodology (pp. 290-312). Washington, DC: American Sociological Association.
- So, M. K. (2008). The study on parenting from the perspective of juvenile, their self esteem and misbehavior (Unpublished master's thesis). Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea.
- Son, N. J., & Choi, B. K. (1996). Influences of children's perceived maternal acceptance-rejection and self-evaluation on learned helplessness. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 34(3), 245-257.
- Statistics Korea. (2015). 2014 cause of death Statistics. Daejeon, Korea: Statistics Korea.
- Yi, S. G., Yi, Y. J., & Jung, H. S. (2011). Factors on the suicidal attempt by gender of middle and high school student. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41(5), 652-662. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.5.652
- Young, R. A., Valach, L., Dillabough. J., Dover, C., & Matthes, G.(1995). Career research from an action perspective: The self-confrontation procedure. The Career Development Quarterly, 43(2), 185-196.
- Youniss, J., & Smollar, J. (1985). Parents and peers in social development: A sullivan-piaget perspective. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.