- Volume 37 Issue 1
Objective: This study investigated how family cohesion influences adolescents' positive attitude formation and their happiness as classified into hedonistic happiness and eudaimonistic happiness. We also examined whether adolescents' positive attitude functions as a mediator between family cohesion and the two kinds of happiness. Particularly, positive attitude consists of three subfactors: positive perspective, self-positivity, and social positivity. This study focused on exploring which subfactor primarily plays a mediating role. Methods: A total of 320 middle school students participated in the present study. Results and Conclusion: The findings of the study are as follows: first, positive attitude was shown to function as a mediator between family cohesion and two kinds of happiness. Second, through an analysis of multiple mediation, self-positivity and social positivity were found to be mediators between family cohesion and hedonistic happiness. However, positive perspective and self-positivity were revealed to serve as mediators between family cohesion and eudaimonistic happiness. Only self-positivity, being considered as a core construct of positive attitude, turned out to be a common mediator between family cohesion and the two kinds of happiness.
Happiness;Positive attitude;Family cohesion;Multiple mediation
- Argyle, M. (1999). Causes and correlates of happiness. In D. Kahneman, E. Diener, and N. Schwarz (Eds.), Well-being: The foundations of hedonic psychology (pp. 353-373). New York, NY: Russell Sage.
- Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243
- Carson, S. H., & Langer, E. J. (2006). Mindfulness and selfacceptance. Journal of Rational-Emotive & Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, 24(1), 29-43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10942-006-0022-5
- Cheung, M. W. L. (2007). Comparison of approaches to constructing confidence intervals for mediating effects using structural equation models. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 14(2), 227-246. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705510709336745
- Cho, K. H., & Ko, J. H. (2012). The role of positive attitude in the relationship between adolescents' experience of negative life events and happiness. The Journal of Human Studies, 30, 93-118.
- Compton, W. C. (2005). An Introduction to positive psychology. Belmont, CA: Thomson Wadsworth.
- Debats, D. L., Drost, J., & Hansen, P. (1995). Experience of meaning in life: A combined qualitative and quantitative approach. British Journal of Psychology, 86(3), 359-375. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8295.1995.tb02758.x
- Diener, E. (1984). Subjective well-being. Psychological Bulletin, 95(3), 542-575. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.95.3.542
- Diener, E., Emmons, R. A., Larsen, R. J., & Griffin, S. (1985). The satisfaction with life scale. Journal of Personality Assessment, 49(1), 71-75. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa4901_13
- Diener, E., & Seligman, M. E. P. (2002). Very happy people. Psychological Science, 13(1), 81-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9280.00415
- Emmons, R. A., & McCullough, M. E. (2003). Counting blessings versus burdens: An experimental investigation of gratitude and subjective well-being in daily life. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84(2), 377-389. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1997
- Gilovich, T., Keltner, D., Chen, S., & Nisbett, R. E. (2013). Social psychology (3rd ed.). New York, NY: W. W. Norton & Company.
- Glassman, E. J. (1988). Development of a self report measure of soothing receptivity (Unpublished doctorial dissertation). York University, Toronto, Canada.
- Ha, H. J. (2015). Family factors and quality of interpersonal relations of middle school students: Mediating effect of positive attitude (Unpublished master's thesis). Kyungnam University, Changwon, Korea.
- Han, S. B. (1992). Relationship between children's self: Concepts and family systems as analyzed by the circumplex model. Korean Journal of Child Studies, 13(2), 145-160.
- Han, M., Choi, I., Kim, B., Lee, H., Kim, K. & Ryu, S. (2012). Happiness of Korean adolescence: Age-based comparison. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 19(5), 217-235.
- Hyun, K. J. (2009). Exploring the components of positivity among adult Koreans: Development and validation of a positive attitude scale. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 23(2), 13-42.
- Jeon, K. S., & Jung, T. Y. (2009). Happiness determinants for Korean adolescents. Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, 15(1), 133-153.
- Kessler, R. C., Price, R. H., & Wortman, C. B. (1985). Social factors in psychopathology: Stress, social support, and coping process. Annual Review of Psychology, 36, 531-572. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ps.36.020185.002531
- Keyes, C. L. M. (2005). Mental illness and/or mental health? Investigation axioms of the complete state model of health. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 73(3), 539-548. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.73.3.539
- Kim, K., Ryu, S., & Choi, I. (2012). Family activities and wellbeing in midlife: Meal, phone conversation, and leisure. Korean Journal of Psychological and Social Issues, 18(2), 279-300.
- Kim, K. W., & Lim, J. Y. (2013). A review on current trends of optimism research and their implications: Application to the children. Asian Journal of Child Welfare and Development, 11(1), 45-71.
- Kim, M. S., Kim, H. W., Cha, K. H., Lim, J. Y., & Han, Y. S. (2003). Exploration of the structure of happy life and development of the happy life scale among Korean adults. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 8(2), 415-442.
- Kim, U., & Park, Y. S. (2004). Factors influencing the quality of life for Korean adolescents and adults at home, school, work, and leisure settings: Indigenous psychological analysis. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 9(4), 973-1002.
- Kim, Y. N., & Ko, J. H. (2011). Self- and spouse-enhancement, subjective happiness, and marital quality in married couples. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 25(2), 167-182.
- Ko, J. H., & Yun, K. R. (2007). The relationship between daily life stress and suicidal ideation of adolescents: The role of egoresiliency as a buffer. Studies on Korean Youth, 18(1), 185-212.
- Koo, J., & Kim, U. (2006). Integrated relationship among psychological traits, life experience, and subjective wellbeing. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 20(4), 1-18.
- Koo, J., & Suh, E. M. (2011). Happiness in Korea: Who is happy and when? Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 25(2), 143-166.
- Lee, H. J., & Nam, H. J. (2005). An impact of family cohesion and family enmeshment on adolescents' psychological adjustment. Korean Journal of Youth Studies, 12(1), 63-84.
- Lee, H. K. (2008). The effect of optimism and controllability of the situation on high school students' perceived control and coping strategies. Korean Journal of School Psychology, 5(2), 193-211. https://doi.org/10.16983/kjsp.2008.5.2.193
- Lee, M. (2003). Daily contextual variations in levels of adolescent happiness. Korean Journal of Developmental Psychology, 16(4), 193-209.
- McGregor, I., & Little, B. R. (1998). Personal projects, happiness, and meaning: On doing well and being yourself. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74(2), 494-512. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.524
- Moos, R. H. (1984). Context and coping: Toward a unifying conceptual framework. American Journal of Community Psychology, 12(1), 5-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00896933
- Myers, D. G. (2000). The funds, friends, and faith of happy people. American Psychologist, 55(1), 56-67. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.56
- Newcomb, T. M. (1958). Attitude development as a function of reference groups. In E. E. Maccoby, T. M. Newcomb, & E. L. Hartley (Eds.), Reading in social psychology (3rd ed.). New York, NY: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- Okun, M. A., & Stock, W. A. (1987). Correlates and components of subjective well-being among the elderly. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 6(1), 95-112. https://doi.org/10.1177/073346488700600108
- Olson, D. H., Portner, J., & Lavee, Y. (1985). FACES III. Minneapolis, MN: Family Social Science, University of Minnesota.
- Olson, D. H., Russel, C. S., & Sprenkle, D. H. (1983). Circumplex model of marital and family systems: IV. Theoretical update. Family Process, 22(1), 69-83. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1545-5300.1983.00069.x
- Park, S. H. (2004). A study of the relationship between parent-child communication style, family system and the child's self-esteem perceived by the child (Unpublished master's thesis). Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea.
- Preacher, K. J., & Hayes, A. F. (2008). Asymptotic and resampling strategies for assessing and comparing indirect effects in multiple mediator models. Behavior Research Methods, 40(3), 879-891. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.40.3.879
- Roh, Y. H., & Sohn, Y. W. (2011). The self-enhancement and its relationship with individual adjustment. Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, 25(4), 61-76.
- Ryff, C. D. (1989). Happiness is everything or is it? Explorations on the meaning of psychological well-being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 57(6), 1069-1081. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2069
- Scheier, M. F., Fenigstein, A., & Buss, A. H. (1974). Self-awareness and physical aggression. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 10(3), 264-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(74)90072-9
- Seligman, M. E. P. (2002). Authentic happiness: Using the new positive psychology to realize your potential for lasting fulfillment. New York, NY: Free Press.
- Seligman, M. E. P., & Csikszentmihalyi, M. (2000). Positive psychology: An introduction. American Psychologist, 55(1), 5-14. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.5
- Seligman, M. E. P., Steen, T. A., Park, N., & Peterson, C. (2005). Positive psychology progress: Empirical validation of intervention. American Psychologist, 60(5), 410-421. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.60.5.410
- Snyder, C. R., Harris, C., Anderson, J. R., Holleran, S. A., Irving, L. M., & Sigmon, S. T., ... Harney, P. (1991). The will and the ways: Development and validation of an individualdifferences measures of hope. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 60(4), 570-585. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.110
- Sobel, M. E. (1982). Asymptotic confidence intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models. In S. Leinhardt (Ed.), Sociological methodology (Vol. 13, pp. 290-312). Washington DC: American Sociological Association.
- Steger, M. F., Frazier, P., Oishi, S., & Kaler, M. (2006). The meaning in life questionnaire: Assessing the presence of and search for meaning in life. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 53(1), 80-93. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-018.104.22.168
- Stone, A. A., Schwartz, J. E., Broderick, J. E., & Deaton, A. (2010). A snapshot of the age distribution of psychological wellbeing in the United States. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 107, 9985-9990. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1003744107
- Suh, E. K., Koo, J. S., Lee, D. G., Jung, T. Y., & Choi, I. (2010). The meanings of Korean happiness index. Proceedings of the Korean Psychological Association, 213-232. Retireved from http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Journal/ArticleDetail/NODE06378006
- Wilson, W. (1967). Correlates of avowed happiness. Psychological Bulletin, 67(4), 294-306. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0024431
- Won, D., Kim, K. H., & Kwon, S. J. (2005). Validation of the Korean version of meaning in life questionnaire. Korean Journal of Health Psychology, 10(2), 211-225. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105305049769
- Yoo, S. H. (2007). Student expectations and perceptions of the transition from elementary to middle school. The Journal of Elementary Education, 20(1). 355-375.
- Yoo, K., & Lee, K. H. (2015). The influence of optimism on occupational engagement: Testing the mediated moderation effect of career adaptability and illusion of control. The Journal of Career Education Research, 28(2), 65-86.
- Yoon, S. M. (2011). The effectiveness of positive psychological intervention activities for happiness-enhancement: Comparison between individual-focused activities and relationshipfocused activities (Unpublished doctorial dissertation). Ajou University, Suwon, Korea.
- Yoon, S. M., & Shin, H. C. (2010). Validation study of the Korean version of positive psychotherapy inventory. Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, 22(3), 707-732.
Supported by : Kyungnam University