- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Geohumus Mixed with Artificial Soil on Soil Water Retention and Plant Stress Response
인공토양에 혼합된 지오휴머스가 토양수분 증가와 식물의 건조 스트레스에 미치는 영향
Li, Yan;Kim, Dong Yeob;Kim, Hyoung Bo;Kim, Young Ki
- Received : 2015.07.29
- Accepted : 2016.02.17
- Published : 2016.02.29
Currently, urban green space is disappearing due to urbanization, industrialization and various environmental problems including the disruption of the ecology in urban areas. To solve such problems and increase urban green area, roof greening has been suggested as an alternative. Through observing the responses of three plant species (Mukdenia rossii, Dianthus chinensis, and Pachysandra terminalis) plantrd on the soil mixed with Geohumus, this study investigated the effect of Gehumus on soil water content and plant survival. Soil water content of the rooftop soils has been increased when mixed with Geohumus. The responses were proportional to the amount of Geohumus in the mixture. Geohumus exerted a stronger influence on raising soil moisture content for soil A which had lower water-holding capacity. The stress responses of the plants varied in relation to the amount of Geohumus and soil moisture content. The stress response was lowest for Dianthus chinensis and increased in the order of Mukdenia rossii and Pachysandra terminalis. With the highest plant stress, Pachysandra terminalis showed the lowest survival rate among the three species. Without irrigation, the plants survived only for six weeks on green roofs. The survival rate differed depending on the amount of Geohumus mixed. The results of the experiment showed, with some exceptions, that Geohumus helped to improve soil water content, reduce plant stress, and extend plant survival period.
Plant growth media;Geohumus;Soil Water Retention;Drought stress;Survival Rate
- Ahn GY.Han SW and Lee EH. 2013. Soil moisture reduction pattern and that influences for plants in the condition of no Rainfall and no irrigation. Korean Journal of Environment and Ecology 27(6): 745-756. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.13047/KJEE.2013.27.6.745
- Choi JS.Yang GM.Ahn SH and Cho YS. 2008. Effect of Cornstarch-Based Absorbent Polymer on the Growth of Cool Season Turfgrasses in Sand-Based Mixture. Turfgrass Society of Korea. 22(1): 75-84. (in Korean with English summary)
- Duong, V. N. 2012. Environmental effects on physical properties of Geohumus and effects of its application on drought responses in maize. Ph.D dissertation, The University of Hohenheim.
- Ju JH.Bae GT.Kim WT and Yoon YH. 2012. Computation of Irrigation Interval and Amount as affected by Growing Substrate and Soil Depth Planted with Zoysia japonica in Green Roof during a Dry Summer. Journal of the Environmental Sciences. 21(3): 289-296. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2012.21.3.289
- Ju JH.Lee SY and Yoon YH. 2013. Effect of Organic Soil Conditioner Ratio on the Soil Moisture Content and Growth of Cotoneater horizontalis in the Container Type for Wall-Planting under Non-irrigation, Journal of the Environmental Sciences. 22(1): 17-23. (in Korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2013.22.1.17
- Kil MJ. 1999. Physiological Changes in Indoor Plants Spathyphyllum 'Clevelandii' according to Soil Water Contents. Master dissertation, Konkuk University. (in Korean)
- Kim HR. 2015. Plant growth assessment of flowering shrub species in a vertical greenery system with different substrates for low maintenance. Ph.D. dissertation, Konkuk University. (in Korean with English summary)
- Kyung JH.Son YH.Yi MJ.Lee CY and Youn HJ. 2004. Effects of Fertilization and Soil Amendments on Growth and Nutrients of Populus alba var. pyramidalis in a Sandy Land of Inner Mongolia, China. Journal of the Korean Forest Bioenergy Society. 23(2): 9-20. (in Korean with English summary)
- Lee EH.Cho EJ.Park MY.Kim DW and Jang SW. 2007. Selecting plants for the extensive rooftop greening based on herbal plants, Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology. 10(2): 84-96. (in Korean with English summary)
- Lee EY and Moon SK. 1999. Effects of soil mixtures and soil depths on the growth of Zoysia japonica for the artificial planting ground. Journal of the Korea Society for Environmental Restoration and Revegetation Technology. 2(2): 24-32. (in Korean with English summary)
- Maxwell, K. and G. N. Johnson. 2000. Chlorophyll fluorescence - a practical guide. J. of Experimental Botany vol. 51, No. 345, pp. 659-668. https://doi.org/10.1093/jexbot/51.345.659
- Ministry of Environment. 2008. Restoration Technology for Damaged Ecosystem; Technology Development for Restoration Natural Ecosystem of Urban Artificial Ground. (in Korean)
- Stokes, M. E., C. S. Davis and G. G. Koch. 2012. Categorical Data Analysis Using the SAS System, 3rd Edition. SAS Institute.
- Lee JY. 2008. An application of the water storing polymer products for the restoration and revegetation of the disturbed slope. Master dissertation, Dankook University. (in Korean)