- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Growth Characteristic of Warm-season Turfgrass in Saemangeum Reclaimed Land
새만금간척지에서 난지형 잔디의 생육 특성
Bae, Eun-Ji;Han, Jeong-Ji;Lee, Kwang-Soo;Park, Yong-Bae;Choi, Su-Min
- Received : 2015.10.31
- Accepted : 2015.12.15
- Published : 2016.02.29
This study was conducted to investigate the growth characteristics of warm-season turfgrasses and to find out suitable turfgrass species on Saemangeum reclaimed land. Twenty native zoysiagrass(Zoysia sinica, Z. matrella, Z. japonica, Medium-leaf type zoysiagrass(hybrid zoysiagrass)) and bermudagrass(Cynodon dactylon) collected from Korea were used in this study. Total stolon length and the number of stolon per square meter, relative growth rate of shoot and stolon, and coverage rate were analyzed for 2 year. C. dactylon showed not only the most growth response with high relative growth rate of shoot and stolon, which were 19.9% and 66.3%, but also resulted in higher level of turf visual quality compared to others. Whereas Z. japonica showed the least growth response with low relative growth rate of shoot and stolon, which were 2.4% and 0.7%. Although all warm-season turfgrasses took root and grew up well, there were different growth rates between the interspecies. Z. sinica 'Z2034', Z. matrella 'Z4091', Z. japonica 'Z1064', Medium-leaf type zoysiagrass 'ZN6019' and C. dactylon 'BN7014' were the greatest growth rate of shoot and stolon. These results will be useful for selecting salt tolerant breeding lines and also used to develop a turfgrass cultivar with strong salinity tolerance through continuous monitoring.
Reclaimed land;Salinity tolerance;Bermudagrass;Zoysiagrass
- Bae EJ.Lee KS.Park YB.Lee SM.Shin HC and Yang GM. 2011. Site Environment and Morphology Characteristics of Native Bermudagrass (Cynodon spp.) Ecotypes in Korea. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 25(1): 11-16. (in korean with English summary)
- Beard, J. B. 1971. Turfgrass: Science and Culture. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New jersey. USA.
- Beard, J. B. 1973. Turfgrass: Science and Culture. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New jersey. USA.
- Bouyoucoc, C. J. 1962. Hydrometer methods improved for making particle size analysis of soil. Agron. J. 54: 464-465. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1962.00021962005400050028x
- Choe IH.Hwang KH and Lee KJ. 2002. Injuries of Landscape Trees and Causes in the Reclaimed Seaside Areas. Journal of Korea Environmental Ecology. 16(1): 10-21. (in korean with English summary)
- Choi IH and Hwang KH. 2000. A Case Study on Planting Environment and Improvement in the Reclaimed Seaside Areas. Korea Land & Housing Corporation. (in korean with English summary)
- Choi JS and Yang GM. 2005. Comparison of growth rate and cold tolerance with basic species, commercial lines, and breeding lines of Zoysiagrass. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 19: 131-140. (in korean with English summary)
- Choi JS and Yang GM. 2011. Low temperature and Salt Tolerances of Native Zoysiagrass (Zoysia spp.) Collected in South Korea. Asian J. Turfgrass Sci. 25(2): 138-146. (in korean with English summary)
- Forbes, I. J. 1952. Chromosome numbers and hybrids in zoysia. Agron. J. 44: 194-199. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1952.00021962004400040008x
- Hoffan, G. J..Catlin, P. B..Mead, R. M.. Johnson, R. S..Francis, L. E. and Goldhamer, D. 1989. Yield and foliar injury responses of nature plum trees to salinity. Irrigation Science. 10: 215-229.
- Hong KH and Yeam DY. 1985. Studies on interspecific hybridization in Korean lawngrass (Zoysia spp.). J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 26(2): 169-178. (in korean with English summary)
- Kim DK.Jeon JM.Oh SY and Shim KY. 2012. Transition of Density and Quality of Turfgrasses on Bermudagrass Fairway with Perennial Ryegrass, and Adjustment of Transition Period by Treatment of Trifloxysulfuron-sodium. Weed&Turfgrass Science, 26(2): 83-88. (in korean with English summary)
- Kim JB.Yang GM and Choi JS. 2009. Effect of Capillary Water Interruption Layer on the Growth of Zoysiagrasses and Cool-season Turfgrasses in Reclaimed Land. Kor. Turfgrass Sci. 23(1): 35-44. (in korean with English summary)
- Kim KN. 2012. Introductiory Turfgrass Science. Sahmyook University press. pp. 135. (in korean)
- Kim KS.Yoo YK and Lee GJ. 1991. Comparative salt tolerance study in Korean lawngrasses. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 32(1): 118-124. (in korean with English summary)
- Kim NC. 1997. A Study on the seeding Timing of Several Herbaceous Plants for Slope Revegetation Works. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 25(2): 62-72. (in korean with English summary)
- Lee GJ.Yoo YG and Kim KS. 1994. Comparative Salt Tolerance Study in Zoysiagrasses. J. Kor. Soc. Hort. Sci. 35(2): 178-185. (in korean with English summary)
- Lee JH.Ahn SH.Yang GM and Choi JS. 2005. Morphological and growth characteristic of 2 cultivars and 3 collected lines of bermudagrass (Cynodon spp.). Journal of Bio-Resources and Environment Reaserch. 4(1): 39-50. (in korean with English summary)
- Lovely, J. 1976. Relative significance of electrolyte and cation exchange effects when gypsum is applied to a sodic clay soil. Aust. J. soil res. 14: 361-371. https://doi.org/10.1071/SR9760361
- Marcum, K. B. and Murdoch, C. L. 1994. Salinity tolerance mechanisms of six C4 turfgrasses. J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci. 119(4): 779-784.
- Marcum, K. B..Anderson, S. J. and Engelke, M. C. 1998. Salt gland ion secretion: A salinity tolerance mechanism among five Zoysiagrass species. Crop Sci. 38: 806-810. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1998.0011183X003800030031x
- Nyle C. B. and Ray R. W. 2015. Elements of the Nature and Properties of Soils, 3rd Edition. Pearson press. pp. 112.
- Prime minister's office. 2011. Seamangum Master Plan. Prime minister's office. pp. 10-50.
- Ryu TK.Lee DH and Jang KK. 2001. Vegetation Covering on the reclamation land in GunSan Areas. J. Life. Sci. & Nat. Res. 23: 129-135.
- Seo ES. 2012. A Study on the Planting Foundation Design for Preventing Salt Capillary Rising in Coastal Reclaimed Area. Ph.D dissertation, Hanyang University. (in korean)
- Yang CH.Lee JH.Baek NH.Jeong JH. Cho KM.Lee SB and Lee GB. 2012. Incorporation effect og green manure crops on improvement of soil environment on Saemangeum reclaimed land during Sorghum x Sudangrass hybrid cultivation. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 45: 744-748. (in korean with English summary) https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.5.744
Grant : 산림자원조성 및 생산성 향상 연구
Supported by : 국립산림과학원