- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Terrace Fields Classification in North Korea Using MODIS Multi-temporal Image Data
MODIS 다중시기 영상을 이용한 북한 다락밭 분류
Jeong, Seung Gyu;Park, Jonghoon;Park, Chong Hwa;Lee, Dong Kun
- Received : 2015.12.22
- Accepted : 2016.02.17
- Published : 2016.02.29
Forest degradation reduces ecosystem services provided by forest and could lead to change in composition of species. In North Korea, there has been significant forest degradation due to conversion of forest into terrace fields for food production and cut-down of forest for fuel woods. This study analyzed the phenological changes in North Korea, in terms of vegetation and moisture in soil and vegetation, from March to Octorber 2013, using MODIS (MODerate resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer) images and indexes including NDVI (Normalized Difference Vegetation Index), NDSI (Normalized Difference Soil Index), and NDWI (Normalized Difference Water Index). In addition, marginal farmland was derived using elevation data. Lastly, degraded terrace fields of 16 degree was analyzed using NDVI, NDSI, and NDWI indexes, and marginal farmland characteristics with slope variable. The accuracy value of land cover classification, which shows the difference between the observation and analyzed value, was 84.9% and Kappa value was 0.82. The highest accuracy value was from agricultural (paddy, field) and forest area. Terrace fields were easily identified using slope data form agricultural field. Use of NDVI, NDSI, and NDWI is more effective in distinguishing deforested terrace field from agricultural area. NDVI only shows vegetation difference whereas NDSI classifies soil moisture values and NDWI classifies abandoned agricultural fields based on moisture values. The method used in this study allowed more effective identification of deforested terrace fields, which visually illustrates forest degradation problem in North Korea.
Forest degradation;NDXI;Land cover classification;Phenology
- Sasaki, N. and F. E. Putz. 2009. Critical need for new definitions of "forest" and "forest degradation" in global climate change agreements. Conservation Letters 2(5): 226-232. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1755-263X.2009.00067.x
- Solano, R..K. Didan.A. Jacobson and A. Huete. 2010. MODIS Vegetation Index User's Guide (MOD13 Series).
- Takeuchi, W. and Y. Yasuoka. 2004. Development of normalized vegetation, soil and water indices derived from satellite remote sensing data. Journal of the Japan Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 43(6): 7-19. https://doi.org/10.4287/jsprs.43.6_7
- Tingting, L. and L. Chuang. 2010. Study on extraction of crop information using time-series MODIS data in the Chao Phraya Basin of Thailand. Advances in Space Research 45(6): 775-784. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asr.2009.11.013
- Wolf, A. 2010. Using WorldView 2 Vis-NIR MSI Imagery to Support Land Mapping and Feature Extraction Using Normalized Difference Index Ratios.
- Yeom JM.Han KS.Lee CS.Park YY and Kim YS. 2008. A detection of vegetation variation over North Korea using SPOT/VEGETATION NDVI. Journal of the Korean association of geographic information studies 11(2): 28-37.
- Yu JS. 2014. Ecological Restoration Modeling of Forest Landscape in North Korea, Doctoral Thesis, Seoul National University.
- Zhang, X..R. Sun.B. Zhang and Q. Tong. 2008. Land cover classification of the North China Plain using MODIS_EVI time series. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 63(4): 476-484. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2008.02.005
- Zheng, D. L..D. O. Wallin and Z. Q. Hao. 1997. Rates and patterns of landscape change between 1972 and 1988 in the Changbai Mountain area of China and North Korea. Landscape Ecol. 12: 241-254. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007963324520
- Bhatia, R. and A. L. Thome-Lyman. 2002. Food shortages and nutrition in North Korea. The Lancet (Suppl.) 360: 27-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(02)11809-5
- Bu KS. 2010. Agriculture of North Korea, Seoul National University Press.
- Cha SY.Seo DJ and Park CH. 2009. Monitoring vegetation phenology using MODIS in northern plateau region, North Korea. Korean Journal of Remote Sensing 25(5): 399-409.
- Choi CH. 2009. Korean Unification and the Land Policy of North Korea. Korea Public Land Law Association 43(3): 151-175.
- Environment Geographic Information System: http://egis.me.go.kr/main.do
- FAO. 1974. A Framework on Land Evaluation, FAO Soil Resour. Bull., FAO, Rome.
- Google Map: http://map.google.com
- Gullison, R. E..P. C. Frumhoff.J. G. Canadell. C. B. Field.D. C. Nepstad.K. Hayhoe.R. Avissar.L. M. Curran.P. Friedlingstein. C. D. Jones and C. Nobre. 2007. Tropical forests and climate policy. Science -New York then Washington- 316(5827): 985-986. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1136163
- Hong SY.Min BK.Lee JM.Kim Y and Lee K. 2012. Estimation of paddy field area in North Korea using RapidEye images. Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer 45(6): 1194-1202. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.6.1194
- Hudson, W. D. and C. W. Ramm. 1987. Correct formulation of the Kappa Coefficient of Agreement. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 53(4): 421-422.
- Jeong SG. 2006. Land Cover Classification of the Korean Peninsula Using Linear Spectral Mixture Analysis of MODIS Multi-temporal Data, orean Journal of Remote Sensing 22(6): 553-563.
- Kim KH.Lee SH and Choi JY. 2014. An analysis of agricultural infrastructure status of North Korea using satellite imagery. KCID J 21(1): 45-54.
- Kim NS.Lee HC and Cha JY. 2013. A Study on Changes of Phenology and Characteristics of Spatial Distribution Using MODIS Images. Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology 16(5): 59-69. https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2013.16.5.059
- Kiptala, J. K..Y. Mohamed.M. L. Mul.M. J. M. Cheema and P. Van der Zaag. 2013. Land use and land cover classification using phenological variability from MODIS vegetation in the Upper Pangani River Basin, Eastern Africa. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, Parts A/B/C, 66: 112-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pce.2013.08.002
- Kouch, K. and F. Yamazaki. 2007. Characteristics of Tsunami-Affected Areas in Moderate-Resolution Satellite Images. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 45(6): 1650-1657. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2006.886968
- Landis, J. R. and G. G. Koch. 1977. An application of hierarchical kappa-type statistics in the assessment of majority agreement among multiple observers. Biometrics 33: 363-374. https://doi.org/10.2307/2529786
- Lee SH. 2004. Situation of Degraded Forest Land in DPRK and Strategies for Forestry Cooperation between South and North Korea, Journal of Agriculture & Life Sciences 38(3): 101-113.
- Pacheco, C. E..M. I. Aguado and D. Mollicone. 2014. Identification and characterization of deforestation hot spots in Venezuela using MODIS satellite images. Acta Amazonica 44(2): 185-196. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0044-59672014000200004
- Pan, X. Z..S. Uchida.Y. Liang.A. Hirano and B. Sun. 2010. Discriminating different landuse types by using multitemporal NDXI in a rice planting area. International Journal of Remote Sensing 31(3): 585-596. https://doi.org/10.1080/01431160902894442
- Prince, S. D..I. Becker-Reshef and K. Rishmawi. 2009. Detection and mapping of long-term land degradation using local net production scaling: Application to Zimbabwe. Remote Sensing of Environment 113(5): 1046-1057. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2009.01.016
- Mapping Deforestation in North Korea Using Phenology-Based Multi-Index and Random Forest vol.8, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3390/rs8120997
Supported by : 산림청