- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Understanding the Managing Conditions and Improvement Strategies of Domestic Protected Areas in Korea - Focus on Ecological and Landscape Conservation Areas and Wetland Protected Areas -
국내 보호지역의 관리여건 파악 및 개선방향 고찰 - 생태·경관보전지역, 습지보호지역을 중심으로 -
Choi, Ji-Eun;Chae, Hee-Myung;Cho, Dong-Gil;Kim, Su-Ryeon;Song, Yu-Jin;Moon, Sang-Kyun;Kim, Jong-Cheol;Park, Yong-Su
- Received : 2016.01.11
- Accepted : 2016.02.11
- Published : 2016.02.29
This study is aimed at using the grasped problems of protected areas in Korea as the basic data for management planning and system improvement of protected areas by grasping realistic problems through the interview with the persons in charge on the basis of general problems of domestic protected areas. To this end, this study deducted major problems in urgent need of improvement, and improvement direction through the survey of the persons in charge of protected areas. This study result is as follows: The major problems, which should be preferentially improved, were found to be shortages of management infrastructure, cooperation between interested parties, and threat factors in protected areas, etc. Such problems are interconnected with each other, thus coming up complexly; therefore, it's necessary to make a comprehensive approach to the problems after confirming the causal relationship of the identified problems. In addition, for the purpose of effective management of a protected area, it's necessary to implement priority management of major problems through different management intensity from the planning phase. Also, it's important to enhance the effectiveness of planning by considering a possible potential threat factor in the outside of protected areas, and referring to the contents of the development plan for the relevant area in time of management planning. Lastly, there is the need for systematic improvement of an institution through thorough status review of the actual state of management planning fulfillment in order to increase the effectiveness of planning in a follow-up study hereafter.
Management Plan;Collaborative Management;Priority;Threat Factors;Management Effectiveness
- An KW.Lim JC and Lee YK. 2015. A Characteristic of Vegetation Distribution in Jangdo Wetland. Korean Journal Environmental Biology. 33(1). pp. 63-74. https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2015.33.1.063
- Cho YH and Lee YK. 2010. A Study on Surveying and Improving Management of Protected Areas in Korea. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture. Vol 38 no.1, pp. 64-73. (in Korean with English summary)
- Heo HY. 2012. Review on the Protected Areas Issues within Mid-Long Term National Plans for Territory and Environment of Korea: Focus on the "Biodiversity 2011-2020 Strategic Targets" and "Protected Areas Decision". Journal of Environmental Policy. 11(4): pp. 3-37. (in Korean)
- Heo HY.Kim H.Lee YJ and Kim SI. 2007. A Study on the Application of IUCN Category to the Protected Areas of Korea. The Journal of Korean Policy Studies. 13(2): pp. 71-96.
- Kim BH. 2012. Enhancing Management System of the Protected areas in Korea. Ph. D. Univ. of Seoul. (in Korean with English summary)
- Lee GG.Lee JH and Cha JY. 2014. The Management Planning Model for Wetland Conservation Area in South Korea: Focused on Conservation and Management Planning According to Making Mt. Daeam's Yongneup Opening to the Public. Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology. 17(1): pp. 185-201. https://doi.org/10.13087/kosert.2014.17.1.185
- Lee MJ.Lee GG.Sung HC.Lee DG.Lee HW and Kim JS. 2013. A Comparative Study on Protected Area Management in South Korea, Japan and China. Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology. 16(1): pp. 71-82.
- Ministry of Environment(ME). 2006. Protected area management techniques in advanced foreign countries. (in Korean)
- Nicholas, B..Angela, W..Max, A..Exequiel, G. and Warren, G. 2003. Marine invasive alien species: a threat to global biodiversity. Marine Policy 27(4): 105-116.
- Park YH.Lee HW.Kim KG.Lee GG. Choi JY.Heo SJ and Seo KW. 2008. Development of Designation Criteria for Ecological Protected Areas and its Application Methodology. Journal of Environmental Impact Assessment. 17(3): pp. 177-188.
- Ryu KS.Choi JY and Lee GG. 2011. Management Effectiveness Evaluation (MEE) Indicators Development in Protected Forest Areas. Journal of the Korea Society of Environmental Restoration Technology. 14(1): pp. 105-119.
- Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity(SCBD). 2004. Decision adopted by the conference of the parties to the convention on biological diversity at the its seventh meeting. UNEP/CBD/COP/7(28). pp. 24.
Supported by : 환경부