- Volume 41 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Failed Financial Services on Negative Emotion and Behavioral Responses
금융서비스 실패가 소비자의 부정적 감정과 행동반응에 미치는 영향
Chon, Inuk;Kang, Hyunmo;Kang, Yeong Seon;Lee, Eunhyung
- Received : 2015.09.14
- Accepted : 2015.10.26
- Published : 2016.02.29
While previous studies on service failures mainly focused on general services, this study examines the effects of failed financial services on the psychological process and behavioral responses of consumers. The important factors of financial service (relational benefits, convenience, branch satisfaction, product diversity, company stability, and product profitability) are regarded as antecedents in our model. We study how each factor of failed financial service affects the negative emotions of consumers through the attribution process and how these arising emotions influence their behavioral responses. Through path analysis, this study shows that failure of service factors of relational benefits, branch satisfaction, and convenience induces disappointment, with the mediation effect of external attribution. Meanwhile, failure of service factors of product diversity and product profitability induces regret, with the mediation effect of internal attribution. Disappointment leads to complaint behavior, and regret leads to switching behavior. Unlike previous studies, the present one considers the important factors of financial service and their effects on the affective and behavioral responses of consumers.
Failed Financial Service;Financial Service Marketing;Attribution;Behavioral Responses
- 서문식, 조상리, "서비스 접점에서 발생한 부정적 감정이 고객의 단절 행동에 미치는 영향", 마케팅관리연구, 제11권, 제2호(2006), pp.55-80.
- 성형석, 한상린, "고객의 자기조절성향이 서비스 실패에 따른 부정적 감정과 고객반응에 미치는 영향 : 귀인과정에 따른 조정적 역할을 중심으로", Asia Marketing Journal, 제12권, 제2호(2010), pp.83-110.
- 엄지윤, 구장옥, "한국 공익연계마케팅 연구에 대한 내용분석 : 2000년부터 2012년까지 게재된 논문의 내용분석을 중심으로", 기업경영연구, 제20권, 제4호(2013), pp.155-174.
- 이유재, 차문경, "부정적 소비감정의 선행요인과 결과변수에 대한 연구", 소비자학연구, 제16권, 제4호(2005), pp.103-127.
- 이형재, 공옥례, "정보추구의지와 서비스 실패의 지각된 심각성이 심리적과정과 행동반응에 미치는 영향", 마케팅연구, 제22권, 제2호(2007), pp.177-203.
- 천성용, "금융소비자 만족도에 영향을 미치는 요인", 한국경영과학회지, 제38권, 제1호(2013), pp.89-101.
- 천성용, "금융소비자 특성별 금융서비스 중요 요인에 대한 탐색 연구", 한국경영과학회지, 제36권, 제4호(2011), pp.125-141.
- 파이낸셜뉴스, "국민은행 '스토리가 있는 금융' 고객 이야기에 귀 기울여 맞춤형 상품.서비스 제안", 2014년 4월 29일.
- 한국경제, "카드개인정보 1억 400만건 '사상 최대' 유출", 2014년 1월 8일.
- Bitner, M.J., "Evaluating service encounters : the effects of physical surroundings and employee response," Journal of Market, Vol.54(1990), pp.69-82. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251871
- Folkes, V.S., "Consumer reactions to product failures : an attributional approach," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.10(1984), pp.398-409. https://doi.org/10.1086/208978
- Folkes, V.S., "Recent attribution research in consumer behavior : a review and new directions," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.14(1988), pp.548-565. https://doi.org/10.1086/209135
- Glovich, T. and V.H. Medvec, "The experience of regret : what, when and why," Psychological Review, Vol.102(1995), pp.379-395. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.102.2.379
- Glovich, T., D. Kahnemann and V.H. Medvec, "Varieties of regret : a debate and partial resolution," Psychological Review, Vol.105, No.3(1998), pp.602-605. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.105.3.602
- Heider, F., The Psychology of Interpersonal Relations, New York : Wiley, 1958.
- Inman, J.J. and M. Zeelenberg, "Regret in repeat purchase versus switching decisions : the attenuating role of decision justifiability," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.29, No.2(2002), pp.116-128. https://doi.org/10.1086/339925
- Inman, J.J., J.S. Dyer, and J. Jia, "A generalized utility model of disappointment and regret effects on post-choice valuation," Marketing Science, Vol.16, No.2(1997), pp.97-111. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.16.2.97
- Keaveney, S.M., "Customer switching behavior in service industries : an exploratory study," Journal of Marketing, Vol.59, April(1995), pp.71-82.
- Maute, M. and L. Dube, "Patterns of emotional responses and behavioral consequences of dissatisfaction," Applied Psychology, Vol.48, No.3(1999), pp.219-247.
- Maute, M. and W.R. Forester, "The structure and determinant of consumer complaint intentions and behavior," Journal of Economic Psychology, Vol.14, No.3(1993), pp.219-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-4870(93)90001-2
- Maxham, III, J.G., "Service recovery's influence on consumer satisfaction, positive wordof-mouth, and purchase intentions," Journal of Business Research, Vol.54(2001), pp.11-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(00)00114-4
- Nelson, P.J., "Advertising as Information," Journal of Political Economy, Vol.82, No.4(1974), pp.729-754. https://doi.org/10.1086/260231
- Nelson, P.J., "Information and consumer behavior," Journal of Political Economy, Vol.78, No.2(1970), pp.311-329. https://doi.org/10.1086/259630
- Oliver, R.L., Satisfaction : a behavioral perspective on the consumer, New York : McGraw-Hill, 1997.
- Parasuraman, V.A., V.A. Zeithaml, and L.L. Berry, "A conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research," Journal of Marketing, Vol.49(1985), pp.41-50.
- Parasuraman, V.A., V.A. Zeithaml, and L.L. Berry, "SERVQUAL : A multiple-item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality," Journal of Retailing, Vol.64, No.1(1988), pp.12-40.
- Sudgen, R., "Regret, recrimination and rationality," Theory and Decision, Vol.19(1985), pp.77-99. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00134355
- Tykocinski, O.E., "I never had a chance : using hindsight tactics to mitigate disappointments," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.27, No.3(2001), pp.376-382. https://doi.org/10.1177/0146167201273011
- van Dijk, W.W. and J. van der Pligt, "The impact of probability and magnitude of outcome on disappointment and elation," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Vol.69(1997), pp.277-284. https://doi.org/10.1006/obhd.1997.2688
- van Dijk, W.W., M. Zeelenberg, and J. van der Pligt, "Blessed are those who expect nothing : lowering expectations as a way of avoiding disappointment," Journal of Economic Psychology, Vol.24, No.4(2003), pp.505-516. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4870(02)00211-8
- van Dijk, W.W., M. Zeelenberg, and J. van der Pligt, "Not having what you want versus having what you do not want : the impact of type of negative outcome on the experience of disappointment and related emotions," Cognition and Emotion, Vol.13(1999), pp.129-148. https://doi.org/10.1080/026999399379302
- Weiner, B., "An attributional theory of achievement motivation and emotion," Psychological Review, Vol.92, October(1985), pp.548-573. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.92.4.548
- Weiner, B., "Attributional thoughts about consumer behavior," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.27, No.3(2000), pp.382-387. https://doi.org/10.1086/317592
- Zeelenberg, M., W.W. van Dijk, A.S.R. Manstead, and J. van der Pligt, "The experience of regret and disappointment," Cognition and Emotion, Vol.12(1998), pp.221-230. https://doi.org/10.1080/026999398379727
- Zeelenberg, M. and R. Peters, "Beyond valence in customer dissatisfaction : a review and new findings on behavioral responses to regret and disappointment in failed services," Journal of Business Research, Vol.57, No.4(2004), pp.445-455. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(02)00278-3
- Zeelenberg, M. and R. Peters, "On service delivery that might have been : behavioral responses to disappointment and regret," Journal of Service Research, Vol.2, August(1999), pp.86-97. https://doi.org/10.1177/109467059921007
- Zeelenberg, M., "On the importance of what might have been : psychological perspective on regret and decision making," in Department of Social Psychology, Amsterdam, The Netherlands : University of Amsterdam, 1996.
- Zeelenberg, M., W.W. van Dijk, and A.S.R. Manstead, "Reconsidering the relation between regret and responsibility," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Progresses, Vol.75, No.3(1998), pp.254-272.
- Zeithaml, V.A., L.L. Berry, and A. Parasuramann, "The behavioral consequences of service quality," Journal of Marketing, Vol.60, No.2(1996), pp.31-46.
Supported by : 한국연구재단