- Volume 41 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Assessing the Effects of Multi-Channel Service Quality on Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty in Retail Banking
은행서비스의 다채널 별 서비스 품질 평가가 고객 만족 및 충성도에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.12.03
- Accepted : 2015.12.09
- Published : 2016.02.29
Service channel environments have changed dramatically with the advent of new, online digital channels. This article studies the effects of perceived multi-channel service quality on customer satisfaction and loyalty in the banking industry and the moderating role of age, which is a characteristic of customers. The objective is to identify the quality factors that affect the overall satisfaction and loyalty of a multi-channel customer. A quantitative study was conducted on 900 customers, with the main targets being users of the nine primary Korean retail banks. Results show that perceived service quality of the physical environment, human service, Internet banking, mobile banking, and ATM has a positive influence on overall satisfaction and loyalty. Age moderates the relationship among physical environment quality, human service, and customer loyalty.
Multi-Channel Service Quality;Retail Banking;Perceived Service Quality;Online Channel;Mobile Channel;Customer Satisfaction;Customer Loyalty;Customer Age
- 강경란, "옴니채널에서의 소비자 행동", 닐슨인사이트, 제9호(2014).
- 고화정, 정순희, "은행서비스 품질, 고객만족 및 고객충성도 간의 관계에 관한 연구", Financial Planning Review, 제5권, 제3호(2012), pp.1-136.
- 곽기영, 이유진, "디지털 컨버전스 시대의 모바일뱅킹 사용 의도 결정요인에 관한 연구", Information Systems Review, 제7권, 제2호(2005), pp.85-10.
- 김동철, 김정원, "강원도 중장년 실직자 직업교육훈련 실태 및 인식", HRD연구, 제15권, 제3호(2013), pp.139-160.
- 김우성, 허은정, "베이비붐세대, X세대, Y세대 소비자들의 소비관련 가치관과 라이프 스타일의 비교", 소비문화연구, 제10권, 제4호(2007), pp.31-53.
- 박윤서, "서비스 품질과 고객만족 간의 인과관계 실증 분석 : Granger 검정법을 중심으로", 제36권, 제4호(2011), pp.143-160.
- 오상현, 김상현, "기술수용모델의 확장과 인터넷뱅킹 이용행동에 관한 연구 : 신뢰와 적합성의 역할을 중심으로", 경제연구, 제24권, 제1호(2006), pp.175-205.
- 이문규, "e-SERVQUAL-인터넷 서비스 품질의 소비자 평가 측정 도구", 마케팅연구, 제17권, 제1호(2002), pp.73-95.
- 이형석, "소매금융서비스의 고객 만족에 미치는 서비스품질요인에 관한 연구", 서비스경영학회지, 제4권, 제2호(2003), pp.73-92.
- 천성용, "금융소비자 만족도에 영향을 미치는 요인", 한국경영과학회지, 제38권, 제1호(2013), pp.89-101.
- 천성용, "금융소비자 특성 별 금융서비스 중요 요인에 대한 탐색 연구", 한국경영과학회지, 제36권, 제4호(2011), pp.125-141.
- Anderson, E.W., C. Fornell, and D.R. Lehmann, "Customer satisfaction, market share, and profitability : Findings from Sweden," The Journal of Marketing, (1994), pp.53-66.
- Banerjee, M., "Misalignment and its influence on integration quality in multichannel services," Journal of Service Research, Vol.17, No.4(2014), pp.460-474. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670514539395
- Barnes, S.J. and R.T. Vidgen, "An integrative approach to the assessment of e-commerce quality," Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, Vol.3, No.3(2002), pp.114-127.
- Bennett, S., K. Maton and L. Kervin, "The 'digital natives' debate : a critical review of the evidence," British Journal of Educational Technology, Vol.39, No.5(2008), pp.775-786. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2007.00793.x
- Bolton, R.N., A. Parasuraman, A. Hoefnagels, N. Migchels, S. Kabadayi, T. Gruber, and D. Solnet, "Understanding Generation Y and their use of social media : a review and research agenda," Journal of Service Management, Vol.24, No.3(2013), pp.245-267. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564231311326987
- Boulding, W., R. Staelin, M. Ehret, and W.J. Johnston, "A customer relationship management roadmap : What is known, potential pitfalls, and where to go," Journal of Marketing, Vol.69, No.4(2005), pp.155-166. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.2005.69.4.155
- Brosdahl, D.J. and J.M. Carpenter, "Consumer knowledge of the environmental impacts of textile and apparel production, concern for the environment, and environmentally friendly consumption behavior," Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, Vol.6, No.4(2010).
- Brosdahl, D.J. and J.M. Carpenter, "Shopping orientations of US males : a generational cohort comparison," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol.18(2011), pp.548-554. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2011.07.005
- Brynjolfsson, E., Y.J. Hu, and M.S. Rahman, "Competing in the age of omnichannel retailing," MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol.54, No.4(2013), pp.23-29.
- Caruana, A., "Service loyalty : The effects of service quality and the mediating role of customer satisfaction," European Journal of Marketing, Vol.36, No.7/8(2002), pp.811-828. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560210430818
- Cristobal, E., C. Flavian, and M. Guinaliu, "Perceived e-service quality(PeSQ) : Measurement validation and effects on consumer satisfaction and web site loyalty," Managing Service Quality, Vol.17, No.3(2007), pp.317-340. https://doi.org/10.1108/09604520710744326
- Cronin, J.J. and S.A. Taylor, "Measuring service quality : A re-examination and extension," Journal of Marketing, Vol.56, No.3(1992), pp.55-68.
- Cronin, J.J., M.K. Brady, and G.T.M. Hult, "Assessing the effects of quality, value, and customer satisfaction on consumer behavioral intentions in service environments," Journal of Retailing, Vol.76, No.2(2000), pp.193-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(00)00028-2
- Davis, F.D., "Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology," MIS Quarterly, (1989), pp.319-340.
- Dodds, W.B., K.B. Monroe, and D. Grewal, "Effects of price, brand, and store information on buyers' product evaluations," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.28, No.3(1991), pp.307-319. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172866
- Falk, T., J. Schepers, M. Hammerschmidt, and H.H. Bauer, "Identifying cross-channel dissynergies for multichannel service providers," Journal of Service Research, Vol.10, No.2(2007), pp.143-160. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670507306683
- Gallino, S. and A. Moreno, "Integration of online and offline channels in retail : The impact of sharing reliable inventory availability information," Management Science, Vol.60, No.6(2014), pp.1434-1451. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.2014.1951
- Gatignon, H. and T.S. Robertson, "A propositional inventory for new diffusion research," Journal of Consumer Research, (1985), pp.849-867.
- Gulati, R. and J. Garino, "Get the right mix of bricks & clicks," Harvard Business Review, Vol.78, No.3(1999), pp.107-114.
- Herhausen, D., M. Schogel and M. Schulten, "Steering customers to the online channel : The influence of personal relationships, learning investments, and attitude toward the firm," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Vol.19, No.3(2012), pp.368-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2012.03.012
- Jamal, A. and K. Naser, "Customer satisfaction and retail banking : An assessment of some of the key antecedents of customer satisfaction in retail banking," International Journal of Bank Marketing, Vol.20, No.4(2002), pp.146-160. https://doi.org/10.1108/02652320210432936
- Kirasic, K. C., G.L. Allen, S.H. Dobson, and K.S. Binder, "Aging, cognitive resources, and declarative learning," Psychology and Aging, Vol.11, No.4(1996), pp.658-670. https://doi.org/10.1037/0882-79126.96.36.1998
- Kumar, S.A., B.T. Mani, S. Mahalingam, and M. Vanjikovan, "Influence of service quality on attitudinal loyalty in private retailing banking : An empirical study," Journal of Management Research, Vol.9, No.4(2010), pp.21-38.
- Loiacono, E., R. Watson, and D. Goodhue, WebQualTM, a web site quality, Paper presented at American Marketing Association, Austin, TX, 2000.
- Lucas, R.E., "Expectations and the Neutrality of Money," Journal of Economic Theory, Vol.4, No.2(1972), pp.103-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0531(72)90142-1
- Mata, R., L.J. Schooler, and J. Rieskamp, "The aging decision maker : cognitive aging and the adaptive selection of decision strategies," Psychology and Aging, Vol.22, No.4(2007), pp.796-810. https://doi.org/10.1037/0882-79188.8.131.526
- McDowd, J.M., "Inhibition in attention and aging," The Journals of Gerontology Series B : Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, Vol.52, No.6(1997), pp.265-273.
- Montoya-Weiss, M.M., G.B. Voss, and D. Grewal, "Determinants of online channel use and overall satisfaction with a relational, multichannel service provider," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.31, No.4(2003), pp.448-458. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070303254408
- Moriarty, R.T. and U. Moran, "Managing hybrid marketing systems," Harvard Business Review, Vol.68, No.6(1990), pp.146-155.
- Oliver, R.L., "Conceptual model of service quality and service satisfaction : Compatible goals, different concepts," In T.A. Swartz, D.E. Bowen, & S.W. Brown (Eds.), Advances in Services Marketing and Management : Research and Practice, (1993), pp.65-85. Greenwich : JAI Press.
- Parasuraman, A., V.A. Zeithaml, and L.L. Berry, "SERVQUAL : A multiple-item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality," Journal of Retailing, Vol.64, No.1(1988), pp.12-40.
- Parasuraman, A. and D. Grewal, "The impact of technology on the quality-value-loyalty chain : a research agenda," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.28, No.1(2000), pp.168-174. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070300281015
- Parasuraman, A., V.A. Zeithaml, and A. Malhotra, "E-S-QUAL : A multiple-item scale for Assessing Electronic Service Quality," Journal of Service Research, Vol.7, No.3(2005), pp.213-233. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670504271156
- Patricio, Lia, R.P. Fisk, and J.F. Cunha, "Design-ing Multi-Interface Service Experiences the Service Experience Blueprint," Journal of Service Research, Vol.10, No.4(2008), pp.318-334. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670508314264
- Payne, A. and P. Frow, "The role of multichannel integration in customer relationship management," Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.33, No.6(2004), pp.527-538. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2004.02.002
- Payne, A. and P. Frow, "A strategic framework for customer relationship management," Journal of Marketing, Vol.69, No.4(2005), pp.167-176. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.2005.69.4.167
- Schaie, K.W. and S.L. Willis, "Age difference patterns of psychometric intelligence in adulthood : Generalizability within and across ability domains," Psychology and Aging, Vol.8, No.1(1993), pp.44-55. https://doi.org/10.1037/0882-79184.108.40.206
- Seck, A.M. and J. Philippe, "Service encounter in mult-channel distribution context : virtual and face-to-face interactions and consumer satisfaction," The Service Industries Journal, Vol.33, No.6(2013), pp.565-579. https://doi.org/10.1080/02642069.2011.622370
- Sousa, R. and C.A. Voss, "Service quality in multichannel service employing virtual channels," Journal of Service Research, Vol.8, No.4(2006), pp.356-371. https://doi.org/10.1177/1094670506286324
- Van Birgelen, M.V., A. De Jong, and K. De Ruyter, "Multi-channel service retailing : The effects of channel performance satisfaction on behavioural intentions," Journal of Retailing, Vol.82, No.4(2006), pp.367-377. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2006.08.010
- Verhoef, P.C., S.A. Neslin, and B. Vroomen, "Multichannel customer management : Understanding the research-shopper phenomenon," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol.24, No.2(2007), pp.129-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2006.11.002
- Verhoef, P.C., P.K. Kannan, and J.J. Inman, "From multi-channel retailing to omnichannel retailing; Introduction to the special issue on multi-channel retailing," Journal of Retailing, Vol.91, No.2(2015), pp.174-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2015.02.005
- Webb, K.L. and J.E. Hogan, "Hybrid channel conflict : Causes and effects on channel performance," Journal of Business and Industry Marketing, Vol.17, No.5(2002), pp.338-356. https://doi.org/10.1108/08858620210439031
- Wesner, M.S. and T. Miller, "Boomers and millennials have much in common," Organization Development Journal, Vol.26, No.3(2008), pp.89-96.
- Wolfinbarger, M. and M.C. Gilly, "eTailQ : dimensionalizing, measuring and predicting etail quality," Journal of Retailing, Vol.79, No.3(2003), pp.183-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(03)00034-4
- Wong, S.M. and C. Perry, "Customer service strategies in financial retailing," The International Journal of Bank Marketing, Vol.9, No.3(1991), pp.11-16.
- Yoo, B. and N. Donthu, "Developing a scale to measure the perceived quality of an internet shopping(SITEQUAL)," Quarterly Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol.2, No.1(2001), pp.31-47.
- Zeithaml, V.A., L.L. Berry, and A. Parasuraman, "The behavioural consequences of service quality," Journal of Marketing, No.6, Vol.2(1996), pp.31-46.
- Zeithaml, V.A., M.J. Bitner, and D.D. Gremler, Services marketing : Integrating customer focus across the firm, New York : McGraw-Hill, 2006.
- Zhang, J., P.W. Farris, J.W. Irvin, T. Kushwaha, T.J. Steenburgh, and B.A. Weitz, "Crafting integrated multichannel retailing strategies," Journal of Interactive Marketing, Vol.24, No.2(2010), pp.168-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intmar.2010.02.002