- Volume 41 Issue 1
This study investigates the effect of power dynamics on R&D and market performances. Various types of relationships in a supply chain are considered. An R&D company offering new technology for product quality and a manufacturer responsible for both production and sales are utilized as subjects. The company with bargaining power differs with respect to the supply chain situation in practice, and no fixed single relationship and supply chain structure exist. However, only a few studies have considered the various relationships among players in a supply chain and their effects on performance. Therefore, we propose three models with different supply chain structures and power dynamics among players. This study contributes to the academia and supply chain practice by revealing the different characteristics of supply chain models.
Supply Chain Management;Power Dynamics;R&D Performance;Principal-Agent Paradigm
- Quinn, J.B. and F.G. Hilmer, "Strategic outsourcing," Sloan Management Review, Vol.35, No.4(1994), pp.43-55.
- Yoo, S.H., H. Shin, and M.-.S. Park, "New product development and the effect of supplier involvement," Omega, Vol.51(2015), pp.107-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.omega.2014.09.005
- Grimpe, C. and U. Kaiser, "Balancing internal and external knowledge acquisition : The gains and pains from R&D outsourcing," Journal of Management Studies, Vol.47, No.8(2010), pp.1483-1509. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2010.00946.x
- Han, S.Y. and S.J. Bae, "Internalization of R&D outsourcing : An empirical study," International Journal of Production Economics, Vol.150(2014), pp.58-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2013.12.001
- PhoneArena.com, "Qualcomm hit hard by the Exynos chipset in Galaxy S6, Might spin off the Snapdragon division," http://www.phonearena.com/news/Qualcomm-hit-hard-by-the-Exynos-chipset-in-Galaxy-S6-mightspin-off-the-Snapdragon-division_id68359, 2015.
- Corbett, C.J. and U.S. Karmarkar, "Competition and structure in serial supply chains with deterministic demand," Management Science, Vol.47, No.7(2001), pp.966-978. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.47.7.966.9799
- Carr, S.M. and U.S. Karmarkar, "Competition in multiechelon assembly supply chains," Management Science, Vol.51, No.1(2005), pp.45-59. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1040.0216
- Savaskan, R.C., S. Bhattacharya, and L.N. Van Wassenhove, "Closed-loop supply chain models with product remanufacturing," Management Science, Vol.50, No.2(2004), pp.239-252. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1030.0186
- Savaskan, R.C. and L.N. Van Wassenhove, "Reverse channel design : The case of competing retailers," Management Science, Vol.52, No.1(2006), pp.1-14. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1050.0454
- Shi, W. and K.J. Min, "A study of product weight and collection rate in closed-loop supply chains with recycling," IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol.60, No.2(2013), pp.409-423. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2012.2214222
- Majumder, P. and A. Srinivasan, "Leadership and competition in network supply chains," Management Science, Vol.54, No.6(2008), pp.1189-1204. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1070.0752
- Simchi-Levi, S., D. Wu, and Z. Shen, Handbook of quantitative supply chain analysis : Modeling in the e-business era, Springer, 2004.
- Gibbons, R., "Incentives between firms (and within)," Management Science, Vol.51, No.1(2005), pp.2-17. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1040.0229
- Iyer, A.V., L.B. Schwarz, and S.A. Zenios, "A principal-agent model for product specification and production," Management Science, Vol.51, No.1(2005), pp.106-119. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1040.0214
- Balachandran, K.R. and J. Ronen, "Incentive contracts when production is subcontracted," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.40, No.2(1989), pp.169-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(89)90328-7
- Ahn, S., H. Rhim, and S.H. Seog, "Response time and vendor-assembler relationship in a supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.184, No.2(2008), pp.652-666. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.10.049
- Roels, G., U.S. Karmarkar, and S. Carr, "Contracting for collaborative services," Management Science, Vol.56, No.5(2010), pp.849-863. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1100.1146
- Baiman, S., P.E. Fischer, and M.V. Rajan, "Information, contracting, and quality costs," Management Science, Vol.46, No.6(2000), pp.776-789. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.46.6.776.11939
- Balachandran, K.R. and S. Radhakrishnan, "Quality implications of warranties in a supply chain," Management Science, Vol.51, No.8(2005), pp.1266-1277. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1050.0408
- Hwang, I., S. Radhakrishnan, and L. Su, "Vendor certification and appraisal : Implications for supplier quality," Management Science, Vol.52, No.10(2006), pp.1472-1482. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1060.0557
- Hung, S.-J., "An integrated system of activity-based quality optimization and economics incentive schemes for a global supply chain," International Journal of Production Research, Vol.49, No.24(2011), pp.7337-7359. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2010.537387
- Volodymyr, B. and S.T. Christopher, "Managing opportunistic supplier Product adulteration : Deferred payments, inspection, and combined mechanisms," Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, Vol.14, No.2(2012), pp.301-314. https://doi.org/10.1287/msom.1110.0366
- Karmarkar, U.S. and R.C. Pitbladdo, "Quality, class, and competition," Management Science, Vol.43, No.1(1997), pp.27-39. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.43.1.27
- Banker, R.D., I. Khosla, and K.K. Sinha, "Quality and competition," Management Science, Vol.44, No.9(1998), pp.1179-1192. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.44.9.1179
- Shi, L., S. Olafsson, and Q. Chen, "An optimization framework for product design," Management Science, Vol.47, No.12(2001), pp.1681-1692. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.47.12.1681.10243
- Kim, K. and D. Chhajed, "Product design with multiple quality-type attributes," Management Science, Vol.48, No.11(2002), pp.1502-1511. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.48.11.1502.265
- Nagarajan, M. and G. Sosic, "Game-theoretic analysis of cooperation among supply chain agents : Review and extensions," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.187, No.3(2008), pp.719-745. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2006.05.045
- Stamatopoulos, G. and Y. Tauman. "Licensing of a quality-improving innovation," Mathematical Social Sciences, Vol.56, No.3(2008), pp.410-438. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mathsocsci.2008.06.006
- Li, C. and J. Wang, "Licensing a vertical product innovation," Economic Record, Vol.86, No.275(2010), pp.517-527. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-4932.2010.00630.x
- Cachon G.P., Supply chain coordination with contracts, In : Graves, S.C., and A.G. De Kok (editors). Handbooks in operations research and management science : Supply chain management : Design, coordination and operation. Elsevier Publishing Company, 2003.