- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Modeling of Various Tool Influence Functions in Computer Controlled Optical Surfacing
컴퓨터 제어를 통한 광학 가공에서의 다양한 툴 영향 함수의 모델링
Kim, Gi-Chul;Ghim, Young-Sik;Rhee, Hyug-Gyo;Kim, Hak-Sung;Yang, Ho-Soon;Lee, Yun-Woo
- Received : 2015.06.09
- Accepted : 2015.10.29
- Published : 2016.03.01
The computer controlled optical surfacing (CCOS) technique provides superior fabrication performance for optical mirrors when compared to the conventional method, which relies heavily on the skill of the optician. The CCOS technique provides improvements in terms of mass production, low cost, and short polishing time, and are achieved by estimating and controlling the moving speed of the tool and toolpath through a numerical analysis of the tool influence function (TIF). Hence, the exact estimation of various TIFs is critical for high convergence rates and high form accuracy in the CCOS process. In this paper, we suggest a new model for TIFs, which can be applied for various tool shapes, different velocity distributions, and non-uniform tool pressure distributions. Our proposed TIFs were also verified by comparisons with experimental results. We anticipate that these new TIFs will have a major role in improving the form accuracy and shortening the polishing time by increasing the accuracy of the material removal rate.
Computer controlled optical surfacing;Tool influence function
- Yu, G., Walker, D., and Li, H., "Implementing a Grolishing Process in Zeeko IRP Machines," Applied Optics, Vol. 51, No. 27, pp. 6637-6640, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.51.006637
- Anderson, D. S., Angel, J. R. P., Burge, J. H., Davison, W. B., DeRigne, S. T., et al., "Stressed-Lap Polishing of 3.5-M f/1.5 and 1.8-m f/1.0 Mirrors," Proc. of the International Society for Optics and Photonics, pp. 260-269, 1992.
- Shorey, A. B., Kordonski, W., and Tricard, M., "Magnetorheological Finishing of Large and Lightweight Optics," Proc. International Society for Optics and Photonics, pp. 99-107, 2004.
- Allen, L. N., "Progress in Ion Figuring Large Optics," Proc. International Society for Optics and Photonics on Laser-Induced Damage in Optical Materials, pp. 237-247, 1995.
- Aspden, R., McDonough, R., and Nitchie, E. R., "Computer Assisted Optical Surfacing," Applied Optics, Vol. 11, No. 12, pp. 2739-2747, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.11.002739
- Jones, R. A., "Grinding and Polishing with Small Tools under Computer Control," International Society for Optics and Photonics in Los Angeles Technical Symposium, pp. 102-107, 1979.
- Jones, R. A. and Rupp, W. J., "Rapid Optical Fabrication with Computer-Controlled Optical Surfacing," Optical Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 12, pp. 1962-1968, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.56019
- Preston, F. W., "The Theory and Design of Plate Glass Polishing Machines," Journal: Society of Glass Technology, Vol. 11, pp. 214-256, 1927.
- Wagner, R. and Shannon, R., "Fabrication of Aspherics Using a Mathematical Model for Material Removal," Applied Optics, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 1683-1689, 1974. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.13.001683
- Zhou, X., Chen, Y., Shen, H., and He, Y., "Optimization of Removal Function Parameters in CCOS," Proc. of the International Symposium on Advanced Optical Manufacturing, pp. 72823T-72823T-72826, 2009.
- Chen, X., Guo, P., and Ren, J., "Optimization of Removal Function in Computer Controlled Optical," Proc. of the International Symposium on Advanced Optical Manufacturing, pp. 76551Y-76557, 2010.
- Cordero-Davila, A., Gonzalez-Garcia, J., Pedrayes-Lopez, M., Aguilar-Chiu, L.A., et al., "Edge Effects with the Preston Equation for a Circular Tool and Workpiece," Applied Optics, Vol. 43, No. 6, pp. 1250-1254, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.43.001250
- Kim, D. W., Park, W. H., Kim, S.-W., and Burge, J. H., "Parametric Modeling of Edge Effects for Polishing Tool Influence Functions," Optics Express, Vol. 17, No. 7, pp. 5656-5665, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.17.005656
- Kim, D. W., Park, W. H., Kim, S., and Burge, J., "Edge Tool Influence Function Library Using the Parametric Edge Model for Computer Controlled Optical Surfacing," Proc. of the International Symposium on Advanced Optical Manufacturing, pp. 74260G-74212, 2009.
- Oh, C. J., Jeon, M. S., and Kim, O. H., "Development of In-Process Polishing Pressure Control System," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 109-115, 2004.