- Volume 33 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Design of Clutch Mechanism for Increased Actuator Energy Efficiency of Electrically Actuated Lower Extremity Exoskeleton
전기식 하지 외골격 로봇의 구동기 에너지 효율 향상을 위한 클러치 메커니즘 설계
Kim, Ho Jun;Kim, Wan Soo;Lim, Dong Hwan;Han, Chang Soo
- Received : 2015.08.06
- Accepted : 2015.11.17
- Published : 2016.03.01
This paper reports on the development of a roller-cam clutch mechanism. This mechanism can transfer bidirectional torque with high backdrivability, as well as increase actuation energy efficiency, in electrical exoskeleton robots. The developed mechanism was installed at the robot knee joint and unclutched during the swing phase which uses less metabolic energy, thereby functioning as a passive joint. The roller-cam clutch aimed to increase actuation energy efficiency while also producing high backdrivability by generating zero impedance for users during the swing phase. To develop the mechanism, mathematical modeling of the roller-cam clutch was conducted, with the design having more than three safety factors following optimization. Titanium (Ti-6AL-4V) material was used. Finally, modeling verification was done using ANSYS software.
Roller-Cam clutch mechanism;Exoskeleton robot;Backdrivability;Energy efficiency;Design optimization
- Lee, H. D. and Han, C.-S., "Technical Trend of the Lower Limb Exoskeleton System for the Performance Enhancement," Journal of Institute of Control, Robotics and Systems, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 364-371, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5302/J.ICROS.2014.14.9023
- Chu, A., Kazerooni, H., and Zoss, A., "On the Biomimetic Design of the Berkeley Lower Extremity Exoskeleton (Bleex)," Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 4345-4352, 2005.
- Sankai, Y., "Leading Edge of Cybernics: Robot Suit Hal," Proc. of the IEEE International Joint Conference on SICE-ICASE, pp. P-1-P-2, 2006.
- Kim, W., Lee, H., Kim, D., Han, J., and Han, C., "Mechanical Design of the Hanyang Exoskeleton Assistive Robot (HEXAR)," Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Control, Automation and Systems, pp. 479-484, 2014.
- Cherry, M. S., Kota, S., and Ferris, D. P., "An Elastic Exoskeleton for Assisting Human Running," Proc. of the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, pp. 727-738, 2009.
- Hollander, K. W., Ilg, R., Sugar, T. G., and Herring, D., "An Efficient Robotic Tendon for Gait Assistance," Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, Vol. 128, No. 5, pp. 788-791, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2264391
- Wang, S., Van Dijk, W., and Kooij, H., "Spring Uses in Exoskeleton Actuation Design," Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 1-6, 2011.
- Kim, H.-G., Lee, J.-W., Jang, J., Park, S., and Han, C., "Design of an Exoskeleton with Minimized Energy Consumption Based on Using Elastic and Dissipative Elements," International Journal of Control, Automation and Systems, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 463-474, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12555-013-0386-0
- Umberger, B. R., "Stance and Swing Phase Costs in Human Walking," Journal of the Royal Society Interface, Vol. 7, No. 50, pp. 1329-1340, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsif.2010.0084
- Whittlesey, S. N., Emmerik, R. E., and Hamill, J., "The Swing Phase of Human Walking is Not a Passive Movement," Motor Control-Champaign, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 273-292, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1123/mcj.4.3.273
- Crowell, H. P., "Exoskeleton Power and Torque Requrements Based on Human Biomechanics," Army Research Laboratory, 2002.
- Nef, T. and Lum, P., "Improving Backdrivability in Geared Rehabilitation Robots," Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing, Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 441-447, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11517-009-0437-0
- Irby, S. E., Kaufman, K. R., Wirta, R. W., and Sutherland, D. H., "Optimization and Application of a Wrap-Spring Clutch to a Dynamic Knee-Ankle-Foot Orthosis," IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering: A Publication of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 130-134, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/86.769402
- Chesney, D. R. and Kremer, J. M., "Generalized Equations for Roller One-Way Clutch Analysis and Design," SAE Technical Paper, 1997.
- Robert, L. N., "Machine Design an Integrated Approach," Pearson Prentice Hall Publishers, pp. 19-20, 2006.
- Na, J.-M., Park, C. H., Lee, S. M., and Choi, D.-H., "Sensitivity Analysis and Optimal Design of Rubber Mount," Proc. of the Korean Society of Automotive Engineers Conference, pp. 1494-1500, 2008.
- Geeroms, J., Flynn, L., Jimenez-Fabian, R., Vanderborght, B., Vitiello, N., et al., "Design, Development and Testing of a Lightweight and Compact Locking Mechanism for a Passive Knee Prosthesis," Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatronics, pp. 1016-1021, 2014.
Supported by : 한국연구재단