- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Study on the Design Parameters of a Heat Exchange Steam Reformer (HESR) using CFD
전산유체해석을 이용한 열교환형 수증기 개질기의 디자인 파라미터 연구
YANG, CHANUK;LEE, YULHO;PARK, SANGHYUN;YANG, CHOONGMO;PARK, SUNGJIN
- Received : 2016.01.06
- Accepted : 2016.02.28
- Published : 2016.02.29
In this study, CFD model for a Heat Exchange Steam Reformer (HESR) used for a 10kW SOFC system is developed for the design optimization of the HESR. The model is used to explore the effect of design parameters on the performance of the HESR. In the HESR, heat is delivered from the hot gas channel to the fuel channel to supply the heat required for the fuel reforming. In the fuel channel where the fuel is reformed, thermo-fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and chemical reaction are considered to predict the performance of the reformer. The model is validated with experimental data within 2~3% error. The validated model is used for the parametric study of the HESR design. Channel length, channel diameter, and flow direction are selected as the design parameters. The effects of the HESR design parameters on the outlet temperature, outlet H2 mole fraction, and pressure drop across the reformer are presented using the model.
Steam Reformer;Solid Oxide Fuel Cell System;Heat Exchange Steam Reformer;Computational Fluid Dynamics;Design Optimization
- Patric O. Graf et al. 3, "Comparative study of steam reforming of methane, ethane and ethylene on Pt, Rh and Pd supported on yttrium-stabilized zirconia", Applied Catalysis : General 332, 2007.
- O'Hayre, R.P., Cha, S., Colella, W., "Fuel cell fundamentals", Wiley Press.
- James Larminie, Andrew Dicks, "Fuel cell Systems explained" John Wiley & Soms, LTD, 2000.
- D. H. Shin, H. G. Seo, H. C. Lim, S. D. Lee, "Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis of Plate Type Reformer for MCFC" Transactions of the Korean Hydrogen and New Energy Society, 2006, v.17 no.4.
- J. S. Lee, K. H. Lee, S. S Yu, K. Y. Ahn, S. G. Kang, "Numerical Analysis of Steam methane Reforming Reaction for Hydrogen Generation using Catalytic Combustion" Transactions of the Korean Hydrogen and New Energy Society, 2013, v.24 no.2.
- Mohammad Irani et al. 4, "CFD modeling of hydrogen production using steam reforming of methane in monolith reactors : Surface or volumebase reaction model?", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36 , 2011.
- J. G. Park, S. K Lee, S. K. Lim and J. M. Bae, "Numerical Study on Operating Parameters and Shapes of a Steam Reformer for Hydrogen Production from Methane", Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. B, 2008, v.33.
- J. Xu, G. F. Froment, "Methanation and Water-Gas Shift: 1. Intrinsic Kinetics" Journal of AiChE., 1989, Vol. 35 No. 1.
- D. L. Hoang, S. H. Chan, and O. L. Ding, "Kinetic and Modeling Study of Methane Steam Reforming Over Sulfide Nickel Catalyst on a Gamma Alumina Support," Journal of Chemical Engineering, 2005, Vol 112 No. 1/3, pp. 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2005.06.004
- Keyur S. Patel, Aydin K. Sunol, "Dynamic behavior of methane heat exchange reformer for residential fuel cell power generation system", Journal of Power Sources 161, 2006.
Grant : 10kW급 건물용 SOFC(고체산화물 연료전지) 시스템 실증
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)