- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Oxidation of Ash Free Coal from Lignite and Anthracite Coals in a Molten Carbonate Fuel Cell
갈탄과 무연탄으로부터의 초청정석탄 제조 및 용융탄산염형 연료전지에서의 산화거동연구
LEE, SANGWOO;KIM, YUJEONG;KIM, TAEKYUN;LEE, KIJEONG;LEE, CHOONGGON
- Received : 2015.11.30
- Accepted : 2016.02.28
- Published : 2016.02.29
In this study, ash free coals(AFCs) were produced with lignite and anthracite coals in a microwave. The AFCs were analyzed with proximate analysis, fourier transform infrared spectrometry (FTIR), X-ray diffraction analysis, and thermogravimetric analysis (TGA). The extraction yields of the AFCs were 16.4 wt%, 7.6 wt% at lignite and anthracite coal, respectively. The chemical and physical properties of the AFCs were similar regardless of the original coal types. Oxidation behavior of the AFCs was investigated by supplying a mixture of 3g of AFC and 3g of electrolyte into the coin-type molten carbonate fuel cell (MCFC). For the evaluation of AFC fuel performance, electrochemical analysis of the steady-state polarization and step-chronopotentiometry were conducted based on the standard hydrogen fuel (69 mol%
Ash free coal;Solvent extraction;Lignite;Anthracite coal;Molten carbonate fuel cell
- C. G. Lee, D. L. Vu, "Oxidation of ash-free coal from sub-bituminous and bituminous coals in a direct carbon fuel cell", Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, in print.
- G. Domazetis, M. Raoarun, B. D. James, J. Liesegang, P. J. Pigram, N. Brack, And R. Glaisher, "Analytical and characterization studies of organic and inorganic species in brown coal", Energy & Fuels, Vol. 20, 2006, p. 1556. https://doi.org/10.1021/ef0502251
- G. Lee, H. Hur, M. B. Song, "Oxidation behavior of carbon in a coin-type Direct Carbon Fuel Cell", J. Electrochem. Soc, Vol. 158, 2011, p. B410. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.3544941
- D. W. Van Krevelen, "Coal Typology - Chemistry - Physics- Constitution", 3rd edition, Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, 1993.
- N. Okuyama, N. Komatsu, T. Shigehisa, T. Kaneko and S. Tsuruya, "Hyper-coal process to produce the ash-free coal", Fuel Processing Technology, Vol. 86, 2005, p. 947.
- P. G. P. Ang and A. F. Sammells, "Influence of electrolyte composition on electrode kinetics in the molten carbonate fuel cell", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Vol. 127, 1980, p. 1289.
- T. Yoshida, T. Takanohashi, K. Sakanishi, I. Saito, M. Fujita, K. Mashimo, "The effect of extraction condition on Hyper Coal production (1) under room temperature filtration", Energy Fuels, Vol. 16, 2002. p. 1463. https://doi.org/10.1021/ef020058u
- T. Takanohashi, I. Saito, M. Iino, H. Aoki, K. Mashimo, "Effect of acid treatment on thermal extraction yield in ashless coal production", Energy Fuels, Vol. 18, 2004, p97. https://doi.org/10.1021/ef0340054
- S. H. Lee, S. D. Kim, "Technology for the Preparation of Ash-free Coal from Low Rank Coal", Korean Chem. Eng. Res., Vol. 46, No. 3, 2008, p. 443.
- P. Chen, "Study on Integrated Classification System for Chinese Coal", Fuel Proc. Technol., Vol. 62, 2000, p. 77. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-3820(99)00115-0
- S. Li, D. Tang, H. Xu, and Z. Yang, "Advanced Characterization of Physical Properties of Coals with Different Coal Structures by Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and X-ray Computed Tomography", Comput. Geo., Vol. 48, 2012, p. 220. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2012.01.004
- Y. S. Yoon, J. H. Kim, P. Deepak, S. U. Son, G. K. Park, K. I. Park, Y. C. Seo, "Emission Characteristics of PM and PM2.5 from Bituminous Coal Combustion Power Plants", J. KOSAE, Vol. 26, No. 2, 2010, p. 151. https://doi.org/10.5572/KOSAE.2010.26.2.151
- A. Jorge, R. Orrego-Ruiz, E. Cabanzo, and M. Ospino, "Study of Colombian coals using photoacoustic Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy", Int. J. Coal Geology, Vol. 85, 2011, p. 307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coal.2010.12.013
- S. H. Lee, C. W. Park and E. K. Shon "Relationship between Chemical Properties of Korean Anthracite Coals and Combustion Characteristics", Korean Chemical Engineering Research, Vol 30, 1992, p. 368.
- T. M. Gur, M. Homel, and A. V. Virkar, "High Performance Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Operating on Dry Gasified Coal", J. Power Sources, Vol. 195, 2010, p. 1085. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2009.08.098
- C. Li, Y. Shi, and N. Cai, "Performance Improvement of Direct Carbon Fuel Cell by Introducing Catalytic Gasification Process", J. Power Sources, Vol 195, 2010, p. 4660. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2010.01.083
- S. H. Clarke, A. Dicks, K. Pointon, T. A. Smith, and A. Swann, "Catalytic Aspects of The Steam Reforming of Hydrocarbons in Internal Reforming Fuel Cells", Catal. Today, Vol 38, 1997, p. 411. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0920-5861(97)00052-7
- C. G. Lee, W. K. Kim, "Oxidation of ash-free coal in a direct carbon fuel cell", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 40, 2015, p. 4575.
Supported by : 에너지기술평가원