- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Generating efficiency of the Double Acting Stirling Engine/Generator
양방향 스털링엔진/발전기의 효율 특성 연구
PARK, SEONGJE;KO, JUNSEOK;HONG, YONGJU;KIM, HYOBONG;YEOM, HANKIL;IN, SEHWAN
- Received : 2015.11.09
- Accepted : 2016.02.28
- Published : 2016.02.29
This paper describes generating efficiency characteristics of the double acting Stirling engine/generator for domestic small-scale CHP (Combined Heat and Power) system. In small distributed generation applications, Stirling engine has competition from fuel cell, microturbine and etc. In order to be economical in the applications, a long life with minimum maintenance is generally required. Free piston Stirling engine (FPSE) has no crank and rotating parts to generate lateral forces and require lubrication. Double acting Stirling engine/generator has one displacer and two power piston which are supported by flexure springs. Two power pistons oscillate with symmetric displacement and are connected with moving magnet type linear generators for power generation from PV work. In experiments, 1 kW class double acting free piston Stirling engine/generator is fabricated and tested. Heat is supplied to hot end of engine by the combustion of natural gas and converted to electric power by linear generators which are assembled with power pistons. The electric parameters such as voltage, current and phase are measured with for variable flow rate of fuel gas. Especially, generating efficiency of FPSE is measured with three different measurement methods. Generating efficiency of the double acting Stirling engine/alternator is about 24%.
Double acting free piston Stirling engine/alternator;Generating efficiency;Piston;Displacer;Regenerator
- M.W.Bae, H.S.Chang, "Performance Prediction of Solar Power System with Stirling Engine", Proceedings of KSME conference, 2001.
- J.S.Kim, Y.H.Kang, S.N.Lee, H.K,Yoon, C.K.Yu, J.K.Kim, D.K.Jo, "Performance of Dish-Stirling Solar Power System", Proceedings of KSRE conference, 2006.
- W. Graham, "Stirling Engines", Oxford University Press, 1980.
- I.Knight, I.Ugursal, "Residential Cogeneration Systems : A Review of The Current Technologies", A report of Subtask of FC+COGEN-SIM The Simulation of Building-Integrated Fuel Cell and Other Cogeneration Systems, IEA/ECBCS, ISBN 9780662462217.
- I.Urieli and D.M.Berchowitz, "Stirling Cycle Engine Analysis", Adam Hilger Ltd., Bristol, 1984.
- N.W.Lane and W.T.Beale, "Free-piston Stirling Design Feature", presented at the 8th Int. Stirling Engine Conference, May 27-30, Univ. of Ancona, Italy, 1997.
- W,R.Martini, "Stirling Engine Design Manual", National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 1983.
- J.S.Ko, Y.J.Hong, H.B.Kim, I.S.Kang, C.S.Lee and S.J.Park, "Measurement of generating efficiency of Stirling engine for domestic micro CHP system", Proceedings of KSME conference, 2012.
- J.S.Ko, Y.J.Hong, H.B.Kim, I.S.Kang, and S.J.Park, "Experiments on dynamic and electrical characteristics of 1 kW class Stirling engine", Proceedings of KSME conference, 2011.
Supported by : 산업통상자원부, 한국기계연구원