- Volume 20 Issue 2
This paper is concerned with an experimental research to control of random vibration caused by external loads specially in cable-stayed bridges which tend to be structurally flexible. For the vibration control, we produced a model structure modelled on Seohae Grand Bridge, and we designed a shear type MR damper. On the center of its middle span, we placed a shear type MR damper which was to control its vibration and also acquire its structural responses such as displacement and acceleration at the same site. The experiments concerning controlling vibration were performed according to a variety of theories including un-control, passive on/off control, and clipped-optimal control. Its control performance was evaluated in terms of the absolute maximum displacements, RMS displacements, the absolute maximum accelerations, RMS accelerations, and the total power required to control the bridge which differ from each different experiment method. Among all the methods applied in this paper, clipped-optimal control method turned out to be the most effective to reduces of displacements, accelerations, and external power. Finally, It is proven that the clipped-optimal control method was effective and useful in the vibration control employing a semi-active devices such MR damper.
Semi-active Vibration Control;MR Damper;Bingham Model;Clipped-optimal Control Algorithm;Cable-stayed Bridge
- Carlson JD, Spencer JrBF. Magneto- rheological Fluid Dampers for Semi-active Seismic Control, Proc, 3rd International Conference on Motion and Vibration Control. Chiba. Japan. c1996;3:5-40.
- Datta TK. A State-of-Art Review on Active Control of Structures. ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology, Paper No.430. 2003;40(1):1-17.
- Dyke SJ, Spencer JrBF, Sain MK, Carlson JD. An Experimental Study of MR Dampers for Seismic Protection, Smart Materials and Structures: Special Issue on Large Civil Structures. 1998;7:693-703.
- Dyke SJ, Caicedo JM, Bergman LA, Turan G (2001). Introducing a Benchmark control Problem for a Cable-stayed bridge subjected to seismic excitation. Earthquake Engineering; Earthquake Engineering Frontiers in the New Millennium, c2001. pp.287-292.
- Ewins D J. Modal Testing: Theory, Practice and Application, R.S.P. c2000.
- Fujino Y. Vibration Control and Monitoring of Long-Span Bridge-Recent Research, Developments and Practice in Japan. Journal of the Constructional Steel Research. 2002;58:71-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(01)00049-9
- Gavin HP, Hanson RD, Filisko FE. Electrorheological Dampers I: Analysis and Design. Journal of Applied Mechanics. 1996;63(3):669-675. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2823348
- Gavin HP, Hanson RD, Filisko FE. Electrorheological Dampers II: Testing and Modeling. Journal of Applied Mechanics. 1996;63(3):676-682. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2823349
- Gu M, Du XQ, Li SY. Experimental and theoretical simulations on wind-rain induced vibration of 3-D rigid stay cables. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 2006;320(1/2):184-200.
- Hwang JS. Vibration Control System for Serviceability Enhancement of a Structure. Journal of the Architectural institute of Korea. 2004;48(7): 56-61.
- Heo G, Jeon J. Application of Unified Lyapunov Control Algorithm and Mathematical Demonstration for Structural Control. KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering. 2011;15(3):479-486. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-011-0691-1
- Heo GH, Jeon JR. Performance Estimation of Semi-active Real- time Feedback Vibration Control System, Journal of Korea Institute for Structural Maintenance and Inspection. 2010;15(1):85-94.
- Jansen LM, Dyke SJ. Semi-Active Control Strategies for the MR Damper: A Comparative Study. Journal of Engineering Mechanics (ASCE). 2000;126(8):795-803. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2000)126:8(795)
- Jang DD, Jung HJ, Moon SJ. Performance Evaluation of the New Smart Passive Control Device using Shaking Table Test, Journal of the Computational Structural Engineering Institute of Korea. 2010;23(1): 27-35.
- Jung HJ, Jang JE, Jeong W, Lee IW. An Experimental Study on Smart Damping System for Suppressing of Stay Cable. Journal of the Wind Engineering Institute of Korea. 2006;10(2):175-181.
- Kim HJ. Application of Wind-induced Vibration Control Devices in Korea. Journal of the Wind Engineering Institute of Korea. 2011;15(3): 49-55.
- Lee DG, Kim TH. Application of Seismic Isolation and Vibration Control in Korea. Journal of Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2006;10(6):67-77.
- Moon SJ, Kim BH Jeong JA. An Experimental Study on the Structural Vibration Control Using Semi-Active Orificed Fluid Dampers. Journal of the Earthquake Engineering Society of Korea. 2004;8(2):55-62.
- Park JK, Kim BS, Jung WS, Kim EB, Lee DG. Change in Statistical Characteristics of Typhoon Affecting the Korean Peninsula. Journal of the Korean Meteorogical Society. 2006;16(1):pp.1-17.
- Spencer JrBF. Recent Trends in Vibration Control in the U.S.A, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Motion and Vibration Control September 1-6. Chiba. Japan. Vol. II K1-K6. c1996.
- Soong TT. Active Structural Control Theory and Practice. Longman Science & Technical. c1990.
- Spencer JrBF, Dyke SJ, Sain MK, Carlson JD. Phenomenological Model of a Magneto rheological Damper. Journal of Engineering Mechanics. ASCE. 1997;123:3:230-238. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:3(230)
- Sodeyama H, Sunakoda K, Fujitani H, Sode H, Iwata N. Dynamic Test and Simulation of Magneto-Rheological Damper. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering. 2003;18:45-57. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8667.t01-1-00298
- Sodeyama H, Suzuki K, Sunakoda K. Development of Large Capacity Semi-Active Seismic Damper Using Magneto-Rheological Fluid. Journal of Vessel Technology. ASME. 2004;126:105-109. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1634587
- Savor Z, Radic J, Herlja G. Cable Vibration at Dubrovnik Bridge, Bridge Structures. 2006;2(2):97-106. https://doi.org/10.1080/15732480600855800
- Yao JTP. Concept of Structural Control, ASCE Journal of Structural Division 1972;98:1567-1574.
- Youn KJ, Park EC, Lee HJ, Moon SJ, Min KW, Jung HJ, Lee SH. Performance Evaluation of Decentralized Control Algorithm of a Full-scale 5-story Structure Installed with Semi-active MR Damper Excited by Seismic Load, Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise Vibration Engineering. 2008;18(2):255-262. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2008.18.2.255
- Load[Internet]. Available from: http://www.lord.com/ tabid/3317/Default.aspx
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 한국연구재단